• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

bipolar&work

C

cole

I had a job i really enjoy but have been on long term sick 7 months.I have been going to all my medical appointments and any meetings they have requested also provided up to date sick lines. I have to go in for a meeting next week.Does anyone know if i can be fired? am also really worried bout goin into work for the meeetin in my current state.I can barely sit still,cant stop talking on and on even bout random things and my concentration and memory are really not at their best.wot if i embarrass myself?

emski

emski

Hi cole, see my reply to the hypomanic thread :tea:

W

Watercolours

They cannot fire you... they have to follow their sickness procedure... make sure you get a copy of your work sickness policy, take someone a friend from work to the meetings, or an advocate from a local Mental Health charity because your unable to concentrate yourself in the meetings with your Bipolar.

If you cannot do your current job they make offer to relocate you elsewhere to a job you can do easier... or ask you to see occupational health.

It also depends on how long you have worked for your employers as well, you have more rights the longer you have worked for somewhere...

E

emoatnight

similar situation

Hello my mother was in a similar situation she had worked for the benefits agency for 2 years and became ill with M.E. so she had a similar amount of time off ill. While they were legally unable to sack her they realized that there was a loop hole. If you are sacked and there is no viable reason for being sacked you can take the company to court and you while get 1 months wage compensation for every year you have worked at the company. So them sacking here worked out cheaper for them to pay her compensation than it was to continue paying sick pay. This was a government department that did this so it is likely that all companys will keep this in mind just as a warning. The meeting that you are having to attend soon may propose a potential risk to your job as if they can find a reason maybe with your twitchyness they could accuse you of acting inappropriately. Sorry for the pessimistic reply but have had experiance dealing with circumstances like these as i volunteer to help people in similar situations and this has cropped up a few times.

C

cole

thanks

hey thanks for bein honest with me. its very helpful i have worked in my job for 4 years all in and been off 18 months sick(included in the 4 years).so u think its likely they will pay me off? a months wages per year? would they take off the time i was sick and only pay two and half? my meeting is on mon and am really nervous i have been high the last few weeks and cant seem to control my speech i talk to fast and constantly even about random things (my sister is realy gettin annoyed i think) i am even worse in certain situations i.e docs app etc coz i get nervous.I saw a doc recently and he said i wont be able to work full time anytime soon :(

E

emoatnight

your contract with them has been for 4 years so far so they will have to pay you for the 4 years, although this may not happen they may keep you on the best thing for you to do is to keep presenting medical notes from your doctors to say that you are unable to return to a full time occupation. As for the highness it maybe be an idea for you to return to your psychiatrist/docter and ask them about adjusting the dosage of your medication or the type of medication that your on. for instance i found for myself that lithium works far better for myself than anti-psychotics. Try not to stress yourself out over this it is your health that is important so concentrate on achieving a routine and lifestyle which works for you. Hope thats been of some help.

C

cole

thanks.guess i will just have to go to the meeting and see wot happens.I am on 20mg diazpam,600mg lithium,thyroxine(due to lithium),300 xl seroquel and 400 of normal seroquel. thanks for all ur help and i will let u know how i get on x

C

cole

my review

hey everyone just thot id send a wee message to let use know how i got on.they gave me several options 1 was to go back to my full roll within 4-6 weeks. 2 go into a lessier roll in the same time frame (my doctors said there is no way i will be able to wok by then),3 i could resign or 4 they will pay me off 3 years which is 3 months salary plus pay for any holidays i didnt use.kinda gutted :( but guess getting paid is my only choice

T

thatrez

don't be discriminated against

I can understand your situation and see how hard it must be. Just remember you should still be able to go back to work when you are feeling better. Otherwise it is discrimination. There are federal and state laws against discriminating against people based on any number of factors, including mental illness. Good luck with your recovery, and best of luck with your meeting