• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

bipolar with phobias

B

bunbun

hi, i'm bipolar 2 but have a severe and ongoing phobia for 32 years. is there anyone else with phobias who is also bipolar or is it just me?
would appreciate any replies.
love bunbun

M

MR.b

i am not diagnosised Biopolar

I am have never been diagnosed with Bipolar but i do have intense mood swings ,rage even, as well as Lots of fears,
Fear of commitment, getting close, fear of drowning, fear of dying, fear of being imperfect . the list goes on makes it very hard to deal with society sometimes.

Nooma42

Nooma42

I have bipolar and am also being treated for social phobia and phobia of vomiting (which has caused extreme OCD).

A

Affective

hi, i'm bipolar 2 but have a severe and ongoing phobia for 32 years. is there anyone else with phobias who is also bipolar or is it just me?
love bunbun
Generally people with mental illnesses have a lot of phobias, so you are not alone.

H

huggybear65

love bunbun
I have bipolar 2 and social phobia too,it makes me very reclusive,without online friends I would be very alone..

A

Alatariel

One of the 'marker's for bipolar is irrational fears. I'm classic for them

Boring - I'm hysterically archnaphobic. I check every room before I go in. I get anxious getting into cars that arent mine, especially older ones. It's ridiculous but I cant stop.

I'm phobic of spoiled food. I sniff everything, dont eat it if its been open for more than a day (I buy my milk in 125ml UHT packs)

Heres a weird one - sinking ships, sunken ships, possibly sinking ships (think YouTube vid on cruise ship getting hit with big wave recently) make me convulsively vomit. Titanic made me hurl. Not just for the acting.

When I'm going downhill, I'm agoraphobic and sociophobic.

It's so weird seeing these fears in yourself and *knowing* they are ridiculous, but not being able to stop them...

G

Grotesque

I am bipolar and I too suffer from a few phobias. Mine are escalators, heights, and bridges/balconies. I'm not so much scared of heights and the like... I am scared of things crumbling under me and sending me tumbling down.

I notice then when I am exposed to the high level of panic brought on by these things, it throws my mood off kilter so badly that it takes a very long time to find a "safe" state of being.

Last edited:
D

Deremna

I also have BP2 and have a few phobias..

I am hemophobic.. Seeing blood causes my wrists to ache and I get super lightheaded and queasy. This includes in movies though I do not seem to have the same issue if the blood is from a deceased person. (may be more related to the pain the blood represents then the blood itself)
I have a fear of getting cut.. Well, sliced, really. I hate that feeling be it a shape knife or a paper cut.
Sometimes, mostly when I am really depressed, I become agoraphobic and hate leaving the house.
I'm arachnaphobic though I like most other bugs.
And finally I have a strong fear that when I'm driving, someone will jump in front of my car. I am very paranoid when I see pedestrians.

W

woodotcom

I am bipolar and have various phobias, some are weirder and more irrational than others, some are based on truths.

Glitter, weird elbows, feet, old (decrepit) people, busy shops/supermarkets, fear of becoming full blown agoraphobic, fear of being sectioned and never let out, fear/paranoia of being filmed/followed, fear of becoming an alcoholic/ already being one.

anyway I have lots of fears but I guess they aren't phobias so I'll leave it there, there is another phobia I have but I can't remember what it is right now, i'm sure I will when it appears infront of me though!

W

woodotcom

phobia of hospitals as thats where all the diseased people go and a phobia of handrails on esculators etc in public places where loads of people have touched them errrrrr!

W

Wee Tam

fish.... my missus is scared of fish! (the marine animals NOT the singer!)

A

avastavatar

Anxiety can be a symptom of bipolar disorder his was recognized by the fellow who originally described bipolar disorder as such she described "anxious mania", and also "excited depression", which included a great electrochemically named anxiety as one of the components of this illness. All that requires saying, because "anxiety" is not generally regarded as a bipolar symptom. There are basically two ways you can have anxiety with bipolar disorder. First, it can be a symptom of the bipolar disorder itself. Secondly, you can have a separate anxiety condition in addition to bipolar disorder. In medical lingo, that is called a "co-morbid" condition (in case you run across that term). It means both conditions are present, and thus implies that anxiety is a separate condition, not coming from the bipolar disorder itself.

Lolli_Liability

Lolli_Liability

I am bipolar and i have a phobia of lifts , i have a phobia feet i literaly cannot have them near me unless they have socks on even then wont touch them. I have a phobia of clowns no reason why. , I also have a phobia of ketchup and beans !

Last edited: