• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar vs personality disorder

S

Sparticus

I am from Cape Town, South Africa. 44 years of age and unemployed. At age 25 I had my first psychosis. It was quite manic with racing thoughts and voices. I was diagnosed as schizo affective At age 32, I had my second psychosis. This time with lots of paranoia and I OD'd after having feelings of resentment due to my baby brother's death. October of 2019, I had another psychosis. No racing thoughts. No mania but more like I was under some form of control due to my wants and needs(hallucinations)and carried out actions accordingly.Most of these actions had a positive impact on me ie:the voices I heard told me to stop smoking, eat healthier and exercise. All 3 of which I did. Also, for all 3 psychotic episodes I've bee in hospitalised So it has been 3 months now. From being diagnosed as bipolar, can a psychosis change brain chemistry so much that you have a personality disorder with mixed emotions or have I bee mm misdiagnosed? I opted to see an alternative doctor after 19 years as I was still not doing too well. I am eating Epilim Cr 5oo x2 daily; Rislerdal 4mg at night and 1 mg during the day. Just a low mood now and then but my new dic wants chemistry to and nature to play her part first. Thabk you for reading. Hope you can assist by answering

Duggie

Duggie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Sparticus, Thank you for your frank and honest account of how life's been recently, I feel sorry for you ( this is not a palm off) so excuse my amateurish attempts (as in truth I am just a T.I though feel at lest to say at least something) I hope you get more on the ball support from other members of this forum, you have been through some really tough times, if nothing else please pat yourself on the back as you have survived the worst and still put up a fight.
In my opinion, you're only affected by your life experiences, this has zero to do with your biological Brain only life events. Maybe you could find a good talk therapist and over the next few months ween, yourself off the harmful meds as long term it won't benefit you. Also, time does aim in your recovery, though it's a long process in which you will put pieces together and understand what's occurred and how you've emotionally dealt with it.

I hope you get some better advice from another member. Though I do greatly feel you.

S

Sparticus

Wow

Hi this is really great advice. I do despise taking meds. Especially anti depressants. I know however that I should keep on taking what I am on currently. Yes, right you are. I do need to speak. I do need counselling..

Duggie

Duggie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Wow

Hi this is really great advice. I do despise taking meds. Especially anti depressants. I know however that I should keep on taking what I am on currently. Yes, right you are. I do need to speak. I do need counselling..
In my amateurish opinion, I think you would be benefited hugely by seeing a good counseller, though a good professional may cost you a bit it might be worth it in the long run as it will take less time to get your life back on track, without any other due damage to your body through toxic meds. You could ask if they are willing to compromise with regards to cost if you are in receipt of welfare. I hope you get well soon. take care.

S

Sparticus

In my amateurish opinion, I think you would be benefited hugely by seeing a good counseller, though a good professional may cost you a bit it might be worth it in the long run as it will take less time to get your life back on track, without any other due damage to your body through toxic meds. You could ask if they are willing to compromise with regards to cost if you are in receipt of welfare. I hope you get well soon. take care.
Thank you very much. I do agree that I am in need of a counsellor thus me resorting to loving my quiet and alone time

calypso

calypso

Admin
Some people think that borderline PD and bipolar are similar but I don't. Bipolar is about mood swings which last for a long time. I don't think BPD have long term mood problems - what I mean is they aren't manic, for example, for weeks on end like bipolar. I think both MH conditions have their extreme challenges and neither is worse than the other.

I agree that a talking therapy might help you to sort through your experiences and give you help in dealing with them, techniques. I have psychosis too usually when depressed. I hear voices which can be terrible and really aggressive. I occasionally have delusions too. I was hospitalised the last time this all happened so I have sympathy for you. Why are you querying the diagnosis?

CrazyAndy

CrazyAndy

Yeah BPD and bipolar are two very different animals. One of my friends has BPD and struggles with emotions sometimes but has never been manic / depressed.

S

Sparticus

Some people think that borderline PD and bipolar are similar but I don't. Bipolar is about mood swings which last for a long time. I don't think BPD have long term mood problems - what I mean is they aren't manic, for example, for weeks on end like bipolar. I think both MH conditions have their extreme challenges and neither is worse than the other.

I agree that a talking therapy might help you to sort through your experiences and give you help in dealing with them, techniques. I have psychosis too usually when depressed. I hear voices which can be terrible and really aggressive. I occasionally have delusions too. I was hospitalised the last time this all happened so I have sympathy for you. Why are you querying the diagnosis?
The only reason why I did is cis I've been misdiagnosed so much that I've been suffering most of the time. It's for me to make sense of the whole situation. I've healed a bit, I know. However, coming to grips that I'm BPD and have PTSD is a bit of an uphill. I journalise a lot so it helps