• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar type ll and moving on.

C

CabbageMama

It took a while to get the notes from our appointment, but my Psychiatrist has now given me a bipolar type ll diagnosis. I am pleased about this, it feels clearer cut for me and easier to accept and work with. The notes were thorough, which I appreciate as I couldn’t remember some of what was said. It explains the rationale for my unusual medication regime and states it will be closely monitored and adjusted if ineffective. I have been given an appointment in May, another In July. It ended by saying I was objective with good insight in to my mental health, which has helped me lift my head a bit higher and put my shoulders back a bit further today. 🙂

Tomorrow I have the second long term absence meeting with my Manager, HR and my Union rep and I am hopeful we will be able to arrange a gradual/phased return to work. So today, I am making all efforts to relax and stay super calm, really want the meeting to go well, was embarrassingly tearful and snotty in the last one! It is just over a year ago that I called my GP as I was very not ok, he referred me urgently to the MH Service. Has been a really really dreadful year, but now I have a diagnosis that explains a lot of why my life has been how it has. It has really helped me make sense of a lot of things. I am ready and trying to get back to work. My medication might not yet be perfect, but I am complying with it in order to best manage my condition. The sun is shining and I am sat here resting, realising that there are things to look forward to and I should be proud of myself for getting to here. 🙂

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
It took a while to get the notes from our appointment, but my Psychiatrist has now given me a bipolar type ll diagnosis. I am pleased about this, it feels clearer cut for me and easier to accept and work with. The notes were thorough, which I appreciate as I couldn’t remember some of what was said. It explains the rationale for my unusual medication regime and states it will be closely monitored and adjusted if ineffective. I have been given an appointment in May, another In July. It ended by saying I was objective with good insight in to my mental health, which has helped me lift my head a bit higher and put my shoulders back a bit further today. 🙂

Tomorrow I have the second long term absence meeting with my Manager, HR and my Union rep and I am hopeful we will be able to arrange a gradual/phased return to work. So today, I am making all efforts to relax and stay super calm, really want the meeting to go well, was embarrassingly tearful and snotty in the last one! It is just over a year ago that I called my GP as I was very not ok, he referred me urgently to the MH Service. Has been a really really dreadful year, but now I have a diagnosis that explains a lot of why my life has been how it has. It has really helped me make sense of a lot of things. I am ready and trying to get back to work. My medication might not yet be perfect, but I am complying with it in order to best manage my condition. The sun is shining and I am sat here resting, realising that there are things to look forward to and I should be proud of myself for getting to here. 🙂
It is a huge achievement to get through a year of episodes and also to return to work with medication on board. It is likely work will be a struggle at times due to residual symptoms or sub-syndromal symptoms, and medication will make things a little harder for you compared to what your colleagues might have to struggle with.

It is something to be proud of if you can get by full-time with it all. Many people do manage it but i have not been able to work full-time and in recent years have stopped work completely. I do some work from home with low pay and rely on benefits.

Is it possible you can work 4/5 days? i would advise anyone, ill or not, to work 4/5 days because it is important to rest as much as possible and look after ourselves, cook healthy food and get exercise and fresh air.

C

CabbageMama

I had reduced to a 30hr week already, so certainly wouldn’t do any more than that. I would be able to work less financially, so that’s an option too. ‘Luckily’ I am a single Parent on Universal Credit, so if I earn less, the benefits get topped up. I think I just need to get out and do again, but am going to be super cautious over my stress levels. Going back for me is dependant on them changing my work environment from the busy Ward to quiet Outpatient clinic, which it seems will be possible. And the transition of going back on a phased return takes a while too, which will really help.

Thank you, Tawny. Keep your wings crossed for me tomorrow!