• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar symptoms?

G

Gredge23

Hi guys brand new to this forum , will introduce my names Graham i. 26 from Ireland was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder 3 years ago currents meds valdoxan , seroquel , risperdal ( dunno if right spelling ) the meds I'm currently on have worked very well a lot of my symptoms of bpd have quietened down to an acceptable level , just on my last week of DBT aswell!

Here's what I came 2 say , while my bpd symptoms have quietened down I'm stuck with another dilemma that has been at me for a long time the thought "am I bipolar also or instead" I go through phases of enjoyment ( goin for walks ,working out , sticking to diet , very creative thinking and thoughts of massive hope for the future , constantly laughing , sometimes to over excited which can annoy people , high sex drive ) which can last maybe a couple months then it stops and goes the complete opposite direction for a wile and then I revert back to the same cycle over and over again , is this typical of bipolar behaviour? Sorry if I upset anyone with the labelling it's just how I'm thinking at the moment , any replies would be greatly appreciated :clap:

G

Gredge23

Nikita said:
Graham, hello,

:welcome:to the forum,

sorry to hear you are ill, we have lots of members also wth BPD and Bi-polar, so someone with knowledge of these will no doubt be along to help you.I do not have either of those as my diagnosis so am not sure how to help.I just wanted to welcome you.:hi:Nikitax
Awww tanx Nikita :)

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Graham

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will like it here. It is a good place for help and support.

Both BPD and Bipolar have mood symptoms and sometimes psychiatrists get the wrong diagnosis, sometimes people have both conditions. You could keep a mood diary so you can show accurately what has been happening to you, and see a psychiatrist for review of the diagnosis.

The drugs you are taking are often used in bipolar so your treatment might not change, and anyway you say it seems to be working well.

Best wishes

Sarah :flower2:

G

Gredge23

Hi Graham

Welcome to the forum. Hope you will like it here. It is a good place for help and support.

Both BPD and Bipolar have mood symptoms and sometimes psychiatrists get the wrong diagnosis, sometimes people have both conditions. You could keep a mood diary so you can show accurately what has been happening to you, and see a psychiatrist for review of the diagnosis.

The drugs you are taking are often used in bipolar so your treatment might not change, and anyway you say it seems to be working well.

Best wishes

Sarah :flower2:
Hi Sarah's tanx for the response :) I already keep a mood diary as part of my DBT program and I have seen a fluctuation of mood when I cycle , unfortunately my psych is not very helpful so might go to a psychologist instead he's in my doctors and just explain how Iv seen a cycle of mood and everything else and see what he says , ya when I say going well I mean voices have gone down alcohol/drug use is gone down impulsive behaviour is gone down but unfortunately my mood still swings and my life goals change constantly and I can't stick to an activity for very long before I get bored and lose motivation and that's the most upsetting thing my relationship is in crisis because I love her one day hate her the next , I like my psych one day I hate her the next I'm up and down constantly I wish I was just stable and able to move on with my life I reli reli do , and that's why IF I had a diagnosis of bi polar also/instead a different plan of action would be in place to help me cope. Thanks again for your reply Sarahd.

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Hey Gredge,I'm from Louth in Ireland so I feel your pain! I live in England now but the HSE are in real trouble right now,lack of psychiatrists and the rate of misdiagnosis has greatly increased so possibly a psychologist might be able to help you. How long have you noticed an improvement?

From what you decide it sounds like BPD as opposed to bipolar and as SarahD said,your medication won't differ especially - I'm a psychologist by the way,I'm not just guessing lol. Meds do differ but not especially and without knowing more detail,it's hard to say. Great work on the alcohol/drugs so far (not an easy job where we're from!) but that impacts upon your mood too,greatly depending on amount and frequency.

Talk to your psychologist at the surgery and see what they say. Just be careful not to do it while you're finishing your DBT,advice could be conflicting.

Hope it works out,stay in touch!

E

Emmer

Gredge there is no way anyone on here could diagnose you (although some may try). No matter our jobs in the real world, nor academic background, we do not know you. We have read one post.

The only people that can guess at your diagnoses are you (with much reclection and reading/research), a psychiatrist who has observed you over many months, a psychologist that you have actually spoken to in depth over many months (rather than one who has known you for one day). Possibly someone who is close to you could also help you figure it out.

Bipolar two and bpd are very different conditions with very different causes. Whilst it is possible to have both I would guess one is always the leading problem.

G

Gredge23

Hey Gredge,I'm from Louth in Ireland so I feel your pain! I live in England now but the HSE are in real trouble right now,lack of psychiatrists and the rate of misdiagnosis has greatly increased so possibly a psychologist might be able to help you. How long have you noticed an improvement?

From what you decide it sounds like BPD as opposed to bipolar and as SarahD said,your medication won't differ especially - I'm a psychologist by the way,I'm not just guessing lol. Meds do differ but not especially and without knowing more detail,it's hard to say. Great work on the alcohol/drugs so far (not an easy job where we're from!) but that impacts upon your mood too,greatly depending on amount and frequency.

Talk to your psychologist at the surgery and see what they say. Just be careful not to do it while you're finishing your DBT,advice could be conflicting.

Hope it works out,stay in touch!
Hi jenny I'm a cork man myself waaaaaay better then Louth :p jokes!
Iv noticed an improvement about 10 times but I revert back my psych team and therapist say Iv improved dramatically which I can agree with in certain terms , I agree with what they say in the areas I stated above but it's the going up and down the opposites I just can't get a grasp on no matter what I do and Iv done a lot I literally locked myself in my room for one week and done everything from PMR to body scans etc......Iv dekfinitely put in the work but my moods my hopes goals and dreams for the future chop and change like thers no tomorrow I just can't get a hold of it , and ya it's hard to get a hold of d drinking and drug taking when my only friends literally drink every day and take drugs every se one day but Iv distanced myself and put more time and effort into being a father! Will defo go to my psychologist anyway just tell him how it is and see what he says , thanks for your reply again jennywren (hugs)

G

Gredge23

Gredge there is no way anyone on here could diagnose you (although some may try). No matter our jobs in the real world, nor academic background, we do not know you. We have read one post.

The only people that can guess at your diagnoses are you (with much reclection and reading/research), a psychiatrist who has observed you over many months, a psychologist that you have actually spoken to in depth over many months (rather than one who has known you for one day). Possibly someone who is close to you could also help you figure it out.

Bipolar two and bpd are very different conditions with very different causes. Whilst it is possible to have both I would guess one is always the leading problem.

Thanks for your reply emmer will take that into consideration.

G

Gredge23

Just wanted to get this off my chest since a filled out a questionarre a few minutes ago the creative thinking part when I feel reli good is amazing I feel I have the answers to anything if people need advice I'm there and it's literally the best advice anyone could give it amazing I feel like I'm in touch with an Higher being maybe outside of me a higher power it feels like I'm on drugs it's such a high when I go into my mind it explodes with ideas thought everything it's amazing :) just wanted to say that , that's all , anyone else get this? Thanks in advance.

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Pretty much what I am trying to say. Its actually because of my academic or work background that I know I can't duagnose anyone based on one statement,especially online. I can only say what I said,that it *sounds* as though his diagnosis is correct but that he needs to see the psychologist and speak to his psych team.

I hope I wasn't misleading in what I wrote at all :/

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Ah no way,Cork? Tis a beautiful county! Have a lot of mates down that way Gredge. But ye do cheat at football though you could be a Jackín so it's all ok :p
I think you seriously do need to speak to your psych team. Was this questionnaire online? If so,swerve it! Very few of them will really tell you anything helpful and many of them are utter crap! Stick with what you are doing,although if your mates are all on the tear,you either have to tell them you're not drinking anymore (I did it,they were actually really cool about it). Or you need to rethink your friends. I found I made more friends because I chatted to people who weren't just wasted - and other people actually wanted to speak yo me again because I wasnt a head wrecker!

G

Gredge23

Pretty much what I am trying to say. Its actually because of my academic or work background that I know I can't duagnose anyone based on one statement,especially online. I can only say what I said,that it *sounds* as though his diagnosis is correct but that he needs to see the psychologist and speak to his psych team.

I hope I wasn't misleading in what I wrote at all :/
No u weren't atall I'm just gona stop writing on here take the advice given and go to my psychologist in my gps thanks again Jen.

G

Gredge23

Ah no way,Cork? Tis a beautiful county! Have a lot of mates down that way Gredge. But ye do cheat at football though you could be a Jackín so it's all ok :p
I think you seriously do need to speak to your psych team. Was this questionnaire online? If so,swerve it! Very few of them will really tell you anything helpful and many of them are utter crap! Stick with what you are doing,although if your mates are all on the tear,you either have to tell them you're not drinking anymore (I did it,they were actually really cool about it). Or you need to rethink your friends. I found I made more friends because I chatted to people who weren't just wasted - and other people actually wanted to speak yo me again because I wasnt a head wrecker!
Ah bet ya ther all sound like me :) he he , ya it was in the hearing voices forum on here , it just got me thinking of the times I'm high when my voices start acting up and my thoughts and creativity are at a high , ther not just on ther tear ther Al oho licks and addicts but still reli good to me so it will be hard Alrite , will try and make more sober friends in time when I feel like opening up to people thanks :)

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

You should stay here and write,it's helping me and I'm only new. Crazy people need each other,we often know more than the 'norms' lol. An bhfuil Gaeilge agatsa? Bhuel,aithnionn cíaróg cíaróg eile,go deo,a chara. Le grá...

Sorry for the Irish peeps,most people from Gredges area are Irish speakers. I just said 'one worm always knows another'. It's a saying we have,means stick with those who understand you. But it can also mean 'ye can't kid a kidder' :)

E

Emmer

From what you decide it sounds like BPD as opposed to bipolar

- I'm a psychologist by the way,I'm not just guessing lol.
That was the bit which concerned me, but i'm relieved that was not your intention. It was just worrying because whilst you and i know that there is no way in the world you could know if this person has bpd or bp, others may feel your words/diagnosis carries much more weight than it does, because you have called yourself a forensic psychologist. You and i know that doesn't qualify you to diagnose, as that would only be a clinical psychologist who has spent months talking with someone.