• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar Stigma - I am crazy

nutsie

nutsie

Caregiver for Mental health problem person is very hard job. Some time I think caregiver want vacation from to help

A

Anne Has A Way

Don’t allow yourself to “be okay” with being treated that way. It is not “okay.”

Luckily, I think people in general are coming around. I mean, you probably could only count on one hand how many people in any given room are not on some sort of mental illness medication. As it becomes more mainstream, you’ll have less reactions like the one you got and more of, “Oh, really? Well, let’s compare notes!”

Take it in stride as much as you can and try the approach of feeling sorry for people who are condescending. They are ignorant, close minded, and self-righteous.

Have some fun with it. Turn it into a game. Use those times as opportunities to see how effective your powers of persuasion can be. Use lots of trivia of famous people who have/had various disorders, or throw out formal names of medications to show how intelligent you are, ask them about themselves (“Hmmm, so have you ALWAYS felt that superior about yourself? Do you know there is a disorder called narcissism that you might have?”)

Drop some knowledge at them and watch them squirm. 😂
I love this! I think my favourite would be dropping the BD bomb when someone says something disparaging about someone with a mental illness. I have not had the opportunity yet, but it was definitely said in the past.

Thanks, this makes me more content with wearing the label.

A

Anne Has A Way

I think may be you not corretto

I think family love you. When you go psych camp they no want disturb you. They know you have nursec take care you in camp. May be also no know what to say you.

My mother love me but never message
Yeah, I experience a lot of people trying to understand (especially family). But I agree, they seem to not understand the kind of support needed. Which is why forums like this are really great.

A

Anne Has A Way

Have BP lady here who refuse take medicine. I think no take medicine ok and personal choice but when you is live with other person you should take. She always get angry so not popular

Her medicine was 40 bats daily and 10+ packet strong instant coffee 3 in 1. Then she got coonies virus same everyone and not come out of hole for one week but not tell any body she is sick.

One morning there was much shouts and she fallen down in splash area with heart attack

I only say this because dangerous to have BP and try hide. If you need medicine you should take
I think that is part of my fear. The disorder has a reputation and I am so wary of people with the wrong impression. I remember reading about bipolar (I had no idea at the time that I had it) and being thankful that I did not have to deal with anyone who had it. Haha. So, in fairness, I should probably have some compassion

A

Anne Has A Way

This doesn't really answer your question but I will tell what I am struggling right now.

I was hospitalized earlier this week due to depressive episode. I am very close to my family and we can talk about my health no matter how bad it is. But the minute I get hospitalized they stop talking to me. This happens every time and this is 8th time. It's like they are afraid of talking to me because I've gone crazy or something. Normally we keep in touch on a daily basis. But now they won't text me, they won't call me or visit me here because I am crazy. I would understand this if I was making their lives difficult because of my bipolar disorder. But that's not the case. I even asked my family to have a cup of coffee with me in a hospital's Cafe but I got no answer.

I thought they were okay with my diagnose but they still think I am crazy.
I mean if it was anything but a mental illness they would be there. :low:

I am sorry they react this way. Especially since it is a depressive episode, you should get the affirmation of love and support. I wish I could send you some affection through the internet. :hug: