• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar Stigma - I am crazy

A

Anne Has A Way

My question: do you sometimes feel the need to hide your diagnosis and what reactions have you gotten when you have needed to share the information?

I am fairly recently diagnosed and had to disclose medication information with a GP from whom I needed a Health Check for a new job. I understand that she was struggling to write it in a way that would not affect my job, but her wording was something like "I can't say you are sound of mind. What if you go crazy?".

It made me realise that this was the kind of reaction that I could expect from people from now on.

WhiteHydrangeas

WhiteHydrangeas

Let me reassure you of something right now. No doctor - and I don’t care who he or she is - should have EVER said something so unprofessional. That was inexcusable.

The entire health community needs to get on board the mental health train. Just because you can’t set the bone or stitch the wound does not mean mental illness isn’t as real as any physical ailments we may suffer. In fact, because it is so hard to understand and diagnose, medical professionals should be going above and beyond to discuss mental illness with their patients in ways that are respectful, compassionate, and considerate. Just as they would comforting a patient who they were diagnosing with lupus or diabetes, they should be putting their hearts out there for those of us who are also given lifelong crosses to bear, even though the illness can’t be seen on a X-ray or under a microscope.

I look at this situation and compare it to the media frenzy surrounding the virus and protests right now. There is no sympathy for both sides, only judgments made for one or the other. The media is supposed to be giving us the news of the world. Not skewing it to fit their agendas.

Same with doctors. Don’t hide behind your medical license and discriminate against people in this world who are dealing with some pretty heavy stuff. Treat us the same as anyone else. No one deserves to be treated that way.

WhiteHydrangeas

WhiteHydrangeas

Of course, that didn’t answer your question. that was just a rant! 😂

Who you disclose your mental health issues to is up to you. For me, I do a lay of the land before I break out with any of that. If you had a lifelong history of IBS-recurrent diarrhea, would you announce that to the world? Probably not.

Even though it’s part of who you are doesn’t mean you are required to broadcast it. That is a truly personal decision.

Feel out whether or not you think the person you are telling is capable of understanding that it’s something you have but are treating in a responsible, healthy way.

It’s up to you, yourself, and you.

A

Anne Has A Way

Wow, thank you so much. I was referred to her by my psychiatrist as someone who understands, so I was a bit taken aback but did not realise how much it affected me until I read the first paragraph of your message. It means so much.
I think part of the shock was realising that this is probably the type of reaction to expect from now on.

N

nutsie

My question: do you sometimes feel the need to hide your diagnosis and what reactions have you gotten when you have needed to share the information?

I am fairly recently diagnosed and had to disclose medication information with a GP from whom I needed a Health Check for a new job. I understand that she was struggling to write it in a way that would not affect my job, but her wording was something like "I can't say you are sound of mind. What if you go crazy?".

It made me realise that this was the kind of reaction that I could expect from people from now on.
That is terrible thing for doctor to say

I think may be she crazy

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Unfortunately there's still a lot of stigma regarding mental health in the society. I've been met with everything from pity, fear and ridicule to people not believing me, but most people are willing to listen and learn to understand if you give them a chance. While I don't wear my bipolar diagnosis on my sleeve I am honest if someone asks and if they can't accept it or believe me then I won't let that bother me anymore.

N

nutsie

Have many BP patient in my camp

Some get angry easy but none is crazy

WhiteHydrangeas

WhiteHydrangeas

Don’t allow yourself to “be okay” with being treated that way. It is not “okay.”

Luckily, I think people in general are coming around. I mean, you probably could only count on one hand how many people in any given room are not on some sort of mental illness medication. As it becomes more mainstream, you’ll have less reactions like the one you got and more of, “Oh, really? Well, let’s compare notes!”

Take it in stride as much as you can and try the approach of feeling sorry for people who are condescending. They are ignorant, close minded, and self-righteous.

Have some fun with it. Turn it into a game. Use those times as opportunities to see how effective your powers of persuasion can be. Use lots of trivia of famous people who have/had various disorders, or throw out formal names of medications to show how intelligent you are, ask them about themselves (“Hmmm, so have you ALWAYS felt that superior about yourself? Do you know there is a disorder called narcissism that you might have?”)

Drop some knowledge at them and watch them squirm. 😂

N

nutsie

Kanye West is bipolar

He give BP person bad name

Inn UK have famous actor Fry is BP.

N

nutsie

I think is good to know you is BP because can understand why you feel strange and take action with therapy and medicine

Many person deny they got BP. They think it is not problem but is problem for husband family and friend if they have friend

My cellie is BP but do not believe doctor.

N

nutsie

Have BP lady here who refuse take medicine. I think no take medicine ok and personal choice but when you is live with other person you should take. She always get angry so not popular

Her medicine was 40 bats daily and 10+ packet strong instant coffee 3 in 1. Then she got coonies virus same everyone and not come out of hole for one week but not tell any body she is sick.

One morning there was much shouts and she fallen down in splash area with heart attack

I only say this because dangerous to have BP and try hide. If you need medicine you should take

N

Nina998

This doesn't really answer your question but I will tell what I am struggling right now.

I was hospitalized earlier this week due to depressive episode. I am very close to my family and we can talk about my health no matter how bad it is. But the minute I get hospitalized they stop talking to me. This happens every time and this is 8th time. It's like they are afraid of talking to me because I've gone crazy or something. Normally we keep in touch on a daily basis. But now they won't text me, they won't call me or visit me here because I am crazy. I would understand this if I was making their lives difficult because of my bipolar disorder. But that's not the case. I even asked my family to have a cup of coffee with me in a hospital's Cafe but I got no answer.

I thought they were okay with my diagnose but they still think I am crazy.

N

nutsie

I think may be you not corretto

I think family love you. When you go psych camp they no want disturb you. They know you have nursec take care you in camp. May be also no know what to say you.

My mother love me but never message

N

nutsie

Many person no want visit psych hospital because scared other patient