• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar shrinks brain.

Colin76

Colin76

Founding Member
I have started reading a book about bipolar and was shocked to find that it has been discoverd that there is an accelerated shrinking in the part of the brain that controls memory, face, name and place recognition. I feel that a certain aspect of this may be true as i recently bumped into an old work friend from around a year and a half ago and could not for the life of me remember her name.

Any way, here's a link to a BBC site with more information,

http://http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6907050.stm

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

That is quite scary. On the other hand I've always been quite scatterbrained (as my Nana so nicely puts it). So according to this study this could be owing to the bipolar OR equally I could just be a ditz :).

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
this is really quite worrying. Im in my mid fifties and know my memory has deteriorated over the last few years, but i wonder why there was no mention of the possibility that medication could be the cause. Surely most people with bipolar are on very strong medication and this could be doing the harm instead

jax

jax

Wow!! I have been complaining abut my memory for months now. My pdoc did a memory test last week on me. I will print this out for her. Thanks.

A

avinash8340

There is no shrinkage of brain like affecting memory, but in bipolar there is increased chemical activity which causes iether mania or deppression and this chemical malfunctiong can be cuered by drugs like lihum etc. So its curable disorder

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

There is no shrinkage of brain like affecting memory, but in bipolar there is increased chemical activity which causes iether mania or deppression and this chemical malfunctiong can be cuered by drugs like lihum etc. So its curable disorder
I don't agree... I don't think bipolar is curable it's treatable. Drugs like lithium treat the symptoms by topping up the chemicals but for some people it doesn't return their moods to 'normal' it just dulls the cycles or puts off another episode for a few years. Some people with bipolar still have bad episodes on their meds.
Equally, some people choose not to have meds but to try and control their moods through diet and exercise and for some it does work. Mental illness are personal and unique to the individual at the end of the day :)

A

avinash8340

Yes i agree it { bipolar} is treatable disorder. It is controlable disorder like diabities but it cannot be wiped out entierlly.i am trying for last 20 years, in last year i am getting some relief

AVINASH