• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar Rage?

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Over the last few weeks I have found myself flying into a rage for no apparent reason. It can be a really insignificant event that seems to trigger these rages off as well and my reaction to this even is not normal. I do seem to have a lot of supressed anger due to issues with my father which lately seem to be bubbling up. He is a long time dead therefore I seem to be taking my anger out on my poor mum who really doesn't deserve it.

Do any others out there have issues with rage? If so have you found any medication that helps or other ways of dealing with it? I have recently finished a course of 1 to 1 counselling which helped to an extent however I couldn't trust the counsellor enough to open up and tell her what was really on my mind. Therefore I left counselling feeling as though I had wasted her time and this made me even more frustrated with myself than I had been to begin with!

jax

jax

Just recently - in the past 3-4 months - I have found myself getting more and more irritable. Now it seems that I am having intense anger too. I wouldn't say it is rage - yet - but yes, I am having awful anger. The rabbits got screamed, shouted and cursed at yesterday. Usually, - I am very patient - especially with animals and children. I lost my cool with the rabbits as they wouldn't get into their houses.

When I first started therapy - many moons ago, I really had such a hard time to open up too. I guess when I was a kid - my father was abusive to both my sister myself and my mum. There was an unspoken rule to keep all the 'secrets within the family'. We were to tell no one what went on.

I was 18 when I first went into therapy (Now 39). It took several years years for me to completely open up to my therapist. Even tough we could be in therapy as many as 5 days a week. So I understand your problems with opening up. I've had 12 years of therapy - maybe I am a bit too open now. :eek2: lol
Jacqui

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Hey

I have recently been diagnosed with Bipolar 2, same as you. And yes i get so angry and shout at people who havent doen anything. I cannot tolerate anything or anyone and could just flip out at anytime. I think this is called the "mixed state"... there is another name for it too...

:mad:

jax

jax

Mixed state and when you exhibit symptoms of being high and depressed a t the same time. I have these a lot and they are horrible. I may feel so down and depressed yet my mind is racing or I feel excitable etc.

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply; it's really nice to see i'm not alone.

I think another reason for these mixed states are because i'm currently coming away from alcohol (been 9 weeks asbstinent). I was using the alcohol as a form of self-medication and as a way of aneasthiatising my feelings. Without the alcohol i'm having to face up to these supressed feelings which isn't easy.

Jax it was really helpful for me to read of your experience with counselling at least I feel I haven't been such a failure now!

Polar Bear nice to meet you. It's great to see we are not alone.

jax

jax

You're by no means a failure. I can remember going into my appointment and us not speaking for 20-30 minutes. It was very difficult and awkward for me. Luckily my Pdoc was a psychoanalyst and was used to silences.

Counselling and therapy can often be difficult too as it rakes up things in the past some people would rather not bring up. Sometimes I felt that I was getting worse rather than better. I think I was right too. For me, these things needed to be brought up and dissected and discussed. It's what made me accept them and get on with life. Don't get me wrong - I did go through hell a lot of the time in therapy, however, it was definitely worth it.

If there was something on my mind that I wanted to discuss, but I felt I couldn't talk about it. I would actually talk about the fact that I wanted to talk but felt I was unable to bring it up. I found that quite often, when we discussed the fears associated with the topic - that the topic ended up being discussed too.

You might want to ty therapy antoher time.

Take care,
jacqui

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I will certainly give counselling another try in the near future. I think for me the "time wasn't right" if that makes sense? I will get there though I know.

Thats an interesting way of approaching things; tell the therapist there is something you want to talk about but are finding it hard to say it. I will try that in future.

jax

jax

Aye, indeed I do know what you mean that the time isn't right. I have had a few friends with whom the time was not right. Actually I almost mentioned it here. I am glad you're going consider giving it another go at some point. x

S

suzy

I get anger inside sometimes but I manage to control it

Sometimes I can just feel really agitated

Maybe it is part of Bipolar? I don't know. It is interesting to note that I used to throw things when I was a kid. It used to build up so I had to throw something

I manage to contol any feelings like that now though