• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bipolar psychosis

P

Pink

Is it common for psychosis from bipolar to last about 8 weeks or more.... I am trying to figure out if I have bipolar or schizoaffective.

Got psychosis from taking antidepressants but they didn't put me on antipsychotics until about two weeks off all meds when I was in hospital.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Is it common for psychosis from bipolar to last about 8 weeks or more.... I am trying to figure out if I have bipolar or schizoaffective.

Got psychosis from taking antidepressants but they didn't put me on antipsychotics until about two weeks off all meds when I was in hospital.
Mine last months to a year. I’m diagnosed Bipolar with Psychotic features. It’s so awful. xo, j

U

Underdog21

I am no medical professional, but my understanding would be that if psychosis lasts longer then 6 months even when on medication you definitely have the schizo element. So for example if you are psychotic and depressed for 6 months or more you have schizoaffective. Personaly my psychosis lasted a month the most before the medication fully kicked in. Since last year I started getting severe depression symptoms and mixed features like irritability, mild grandieur and no psychosis and I was diagnosed with Bipolar.

U

Underdog21

Do you still experience even a little bit of psychosis even on meds? If the psychosis went away and then your mood component showed up you might have bipolar. If you still get psychotic symptoms even on anti-psychotics then I would think you might have schizoaffective. It's something I also think about often as someone who as Bipolar with psychosis.

C

CabbageMama

I hadn’t heard of this before. I am coming off antidepressants now, the Lamotrigine was stopped about six weeks ago. Still on 300mg Pregabalin. I have been rapid cycling like no ones business and now I have googled psychosis after seeing this post, feel pretty sure that I have been experiencing it for at least a few weeks. At the weekend, there was an incident with my Daughter and I was absolutely convinced that my Mum and Ex Husband were plotting to keep her away from me. Yesterday was much better, today has been hideous, like I have been given drugs that make everything bigger, brighter, louder. My balance has been off and I am buzzy and fizzy, have had to keep moving, but keep bursting in to floods of tears and am absolutely exhausted. My friend was very worried about me when she saw me for a walk. The same friend nearly went over to my Mum’s house on Saturday as she was so concerned about my manic state, which I didn’t realise I was in at the time.

Really sorry, Pink - I have no idea. I hope you don’t mind me jumping on your thread, but I reduced my Vortioxetine from 20mg to 10mg a week ago. Am meant to do another week of 10mg and then stop completely. Should I just miss that second week and stop now, do you think? I’m now pretty sure that is what is making things so bad.

P

Pink

Really sorry, Pink - I have no idea. I hope you don’t mind me jumping on your thread, but I reduced my Vortioxetine from 20mg to 10mg a week ago. Am meant to do another week of 10mg and then stop completely. Should I just miss that second week and stop now, do you think? I’m now pretty sure that is what is making things so bad.
@CabbageMama I would suggest you contact your mental health team straight away before making the adjustments. I am sorry but I am not aware of what to advice you. I am sorry you are going through this :hug:

P

Pink

Do you still experience even a little bit of psychosis even on meds? If the psychosis went away and then your mood component showed up you might have bipolar. If you still get psychotic symptoms even on anti-psychotics then I would think you might have schizoaffective. It's something I also think about often as someone who as Bipolar with psychosis.
The first time I had psychosis, I got on antipsychotics and it went away (no psychotic symptoms) and had nothing for 10 years until I stopped the antipsychotics because they thought I didn't need them anymore. I did it with permission from the consultant. They put me antidepressants which caused the psychosis and I believe mood episode. I currently don't have any psychotic symptoms either.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Admin
I hadn’t heard of this before. I am coming off antidepressants now, the Lamotrigine was stopped about six weeks ago. Still on 300mg Pregabalin. I have been rapid cycling like no ones business and now I have googled psychosis after seeing this post, feel pretty sure that I have been experiencing it for at least a few weeks. At the weekend, there was an incident with my Daughter and I was absolutely convinced that my Mum and Ex Husband were plotting to keep her away from me. Yesterday was much better, today has been hideous, like I have been given drugs that make everything bigger, brighter, louder. My balance has been off and I am buzzy and fizzy, have had to keep moving, but keep bursting in to floods of tears and am absolutely exhausted. My friend was very worried about me when she saw me for a walk. The same friend nearly went over to my Mum’s house on Saturday as she was so concerned about my manic state, which I didn’t realise I was in at the time.

Please speak to your dr, it can be very dangerous to just stop medication.
It's always best to seek advice before adjusting med doses as well.
Hope you'll be okay

U

Underdog21

The first time I had psychosis, I got on antipsychotics and it went away (no psychotic symptoms) and had nothing for 10 years until I stopped the antipsychotics because they thought I didn't need them anymore. I did it with permission from the consultant. They put me antidepressants which caused the psychosis and I believe mood episode. I currently don't have any psychotic symptoms either.
Okay. Again I am no medical professional, I am just trying to figure out if you have bipolar. Have you experienced mania? If you have experienced mania then I would say you are on the bipolar spectrum. People I have spoken to who have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective seem to suffer from chronic psychosis (long-term psychotic sympotms) and that's the central element of their illness even when they are on the meds. I also stopped anti-psychotics and had a relapse of psychosis and had a diagnosis of Psychosis NOS until last year when my diagnosis was changed to Bipolar Affective.

C

CabbageMama

Please speak to your dr, it can be very dangerous to just stop medication.
It's always best to seek advice before adjusting med doses as well.
Hope you'll be okay
It was my Psychiatrist that advised the reduction, I haven’t gone completely rogue!

C

CabbageMama

@CabbageMama I would suggest you contact your mental health team straight away before making the adjustments. I am sorry but I am not aware of what to advice you. I am sorry you are going through this :hug:
It was a planned reduction from my Psychiatrist, but I will talk to the MH team tomorrow to ask about the second week. Things have not been good, so I need to talk to them anyway. Thank you.

P

Pink

Okay. Again I am no medical professional, I am just trying to figure out if you have bipolar. Have you experienced mania? If you have experienced mania then I would say you are on the bipolar spectrum. People I have spoken to who have a diagnosis of Schizophrenia or Schizoaffective seem to suffer from chronic psychosis (long-term psychotic sympotms) and that's the central element of their illness even when they are on the meds. I also stopped anti-psychotics and had a relapse of psychosis and had a diagnosis of Psychosis NOS until last year when my diagnosis was changed to Bipolar Affective.
I have been dx'd as bipolar in the past. This time he mentioned mood disorder so I assume it's that. Thank you all for answeing :)