• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar parent....

M

MrsBipolar

I have had bipolar for so many years....I cope with it but I feel like such a failure as a mother....What if my kids grow up to hate me for being this way??? I have bad days where I do shout and scream but I have explained to them it is never their fault to the point where they tell me to "give it a rest"....But my fear....they will hate me when they grow up :low: What can I do???????:sorry:

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi,

I'm a bipolar mum to three so I can relate a little. I think that as long as you are always open and honest with your children and explain things to them so that they can understand that it is not their fault or your fault (which it sounds as though you are doing) it will make things easier.

I tried to hide a lot of what I was going through so that it would impact on them as little as possible but there were times when this wasn't possible and it took over.

My children are all adults now and we have a great relationship. It's not always been easy but you just do the best you can for your children. Make sure you show them you care and I don't think you will have anything to worry about. You're their mum and you love them. That speaks volumes.