• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar or Not?

N

nommers

Hi everyone I hope this post is in the correct forum part. I have recently had a breakdown and many people have suggested I have Bipolar Disorder, I have been to the doctor quite often over the last few years, and always been told im depressed.

Yesterday however the doctor gave me my anti depressants and mentioned that he wouldnt want to put me on Lithium just yet? Im all confussed as reading about the illness makes me feel at ease as its a way forward for me not to be in limbo so to speak....

I really dont know if I am or not and I really dont know what Im doing here to be honest Im just tired of feeling alone and none of my loved ones know what to say or do.

Thanks for listening

M

mizunderstood

I know how you feel Nommers. I have been on anti-psychotics for 5 years and still have no diagnosis. I have been torturing myself for years thinking I may have Schizophrenia. My doctor has also suggested Lithium to me but she says I am not Bi-polar. If Im not schizophrenic, I have a personality disorder that I have developed through lack of support and self analysis. I have literaly drove myself mad at times. I have Schizophrenic symtoms but have never been assesed since I was sectioned way back in 2004. Now, after coming off Meds and going semi-psychotic I have finaly been refered to the Mental Health team for a proper assesment. I might then have a reason to be on anti-psychotics. If not they can supoort me while I gradualy come off it. There is nothing worse than not knowing what is wrong with you. Its enough to drive anyone mad. Personally I just need a kind of clousure/ending to the hell I've been through these past 5 years, and I think I am now going to be able to get that, one way or another. xx

P

pixxxie

how will you finally get closure? why dont you try and push to see if you can try and get some sort of diagnosis?

the same things is happeneing to me at the min (waiting to be disgnosed with something) and the waiting around is so annoying. id rather just be told that i have something and then have to deal with it myself!

x

megirl

megirl

I am not 100% sure however I am under the impression only a psychiatrist can diagnose mood disorders. I had always been treated for depression however I have indeed most probably always had bipolar just certain circumstances have exacberated the symptoms. However theres no shame in getting a correct diagnoses as then you can be treated appropriately and begin the journey to recovery.

S

siamese

hi all, i was recently diagnosed after 11 years of breakdowns, manic episodes and pure hell!! only to move to salford quays where i have had 2 bad breakdowns in 3 months and i am now bein assessed by a new psych to confirm diagnosis. they dont like to label people so they have to be sure but i totally understand u needin closure. I was so relieved to get a diagnosis, i kinda knew anyways as its in the family. but its opened a new can of worms for me. as now im obsessed with findin out more about my illness which id sussed out quite well but now i know i have it i feel scared and feel i dont know enough. but that could just be my racing thoughts getting the better of me. anti psychotics work well for me. quetiapine helped me eat and stabilised my mood but not my sleep. i got promazine alongside venlafaxine but venlafaxine sent my head west! so im on promazine now and have new psych tomorrow. hope u get sorted. xxx