• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Bipolar or not bipoalr

C

charlieg

I just want to ask if it is possible to have several hypomanic episodes and to not be bipolar? Can that be possible?

C

charlieg

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Since posting I have researched Bipolar2 and I tick every box, every detail. It reads like a first hand description of my life.

It seems to only require 1 hypomanic episode to get a diagnosis of Bipolar 2. Ive had 8 or 9 over a 20 year period, beginning when I was 20. There were depressions in my teens but no ups. I have had an awful lot more depression, for larger durations of time than the hypomanic states, and I have had periods of neither up or down. I am a text book bipolar 2, the only times Ive sought medical intervention were when deeply depressed and therefore my high times have never been observed by my doctor.

This is said to be typically why bipolar 2 is harder to diagnose. One side of it remains pretty much unreported.

Thanks again.

C

charlieg

I should clarify my original question a little.

Is it possible to have had a continuous sequence of hypomania and depression between the ages of 20 and 43, and not be bipolar?

There is no ambiguity about my use of the terms hypomania and depression. Ive been hospitalised twice for depression and my hypomanias never caused me to live dangerously as what you would expect with full mania.