• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar meds

Wishbone

Wishbone

Depakote yes, not sure which the other two are: is the 'sequel' meant to be Seroquel? The only other I know of beginning with 'M' is Mirtazapine????

T

tiltawhirl3

I have been on all of those things and many more. It is a nasty job, the chase to find what works for me and we are all different. things can stop working or things that didn't before may deserve a second or even 3d chance. all of those are associated with sedation and weight gain. Right now, my best friends are seroquel and klonopin. I am finally losing weight too...the healthy way. I am trying to avoid carbs and sweets. I allow myself cheat days so I don't feel burdened but am focusing on protein and veg. (I also take effexor but not sure if I really need it the way I do the others. I think it helps a little and that is better than not)

JessisMe

JessisMe

I was on Depakote for awhile. It did nothing for me.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Jess, can I just ask what your Bipolar is like? What parts do you struggle with the most: depressions, mixed, mania, hypo's, rapid cycling etc?

T

tiltawhirl3

I tend towards mixed episodes and depakote did help mitigate that, so it was of value to me for a time. I recently gave it a 3d try when new drs were reluctant to prescribe the klonopin but it didn't help this time. I needed the klonopin back.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Jess, can I just ask what your Bipolar is like? What parts do you struggle with the most: depressions, mixed, mania, hypo's, rapid cycling etc?
I don’t have problems with hypomania or rapid cycling. For me it is deep depression as a standard punctuated by months long manias. During my manias I become very energetic, positive, social and outgoing (usually I am quiet and introverted). I start all kinds or projects (usually pipe dream businesses and save the world type ventures). I do things like bake a TON of baked goods or do load after load of laundry. I end up experiencing delusions like all if my friends are rich and famous, I am a Very Important Person and am quite influential in business and government (I’m not). Eventually it spirals out of control until I crash. Historically I have had very little insight (no insight) into my mania and the general condition so the pattern would continue. Usually I would develop mania when I was off my meds and become stable again when I was back on them. This has been my experience with the disorder and I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1 with Psychitic features. The manias are fun, the crashes are awful, especially when the manias are destructive when you end up with criminal charges and stuff. xo, j

M

Mercedes1620

Depakote yes, not sure which the other two are: is the 'sequel' meant to be Seroquel? The only other I know of beginning with 'M' is Mirtazapine????
Yes I misspelled the words but yes tgose are the three they put me on.

T

tiltawhirl3

too late to edit. sorry. the mirtazapine did help remove the suicidal thoughts in a later mixed episode but I need more help with the depression. so it also worked temporarily. Seroquel did not help me the first time it was tried and I was scared of it later but now it is doing wonders.

M

Mercedes1620

I heard remeron and Seroquel was dangerous together but my Dr put me on these along with the depakote

Wishbone

Wishbone

I don’t have problems with hypomania or rapid cycling. For me it is deep depression as a standard punctuated by months long manias.
Thanks. And what is it that works best for you medication-wise?

Yes I misspelled the words but yes tgose are the three they put me on.
Okay. Is there anything you wanted to ask about them specifically or just seeing who else is on them?

M

Mercedes1620

Thanks. And what is it that works best for you medication-wise?

Okay. Is there anything you wanted to ask about them specifically or just seeing who else is on them?
Yes I just wanted to see if anyone has taken the combination of the three together?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Ah ok. No, I've taken all three separately over the years but not together. Currently on Depakote and have an antipsychotic in Risperidone that I can use when needed. I didn't like Mirtazapine because antidepressants just messed me up, and Seroquel/Quetiapine just made me way too sleepy. I don't think I've seen a mention of all three together on here yet, but hopefuly someone can step forward to prove otherwise.
Do you have concerns or problems with that combo other than what you posted just a minute or two ago about the interaction between Mirtazapine and Seroquel?

T

tiltawhirl3

no, not together. Maybe I am out of date on current prescribing but I think I would ask questions about it. are you maxed out on dosage on any of them?

M

Mercedes1620

Ah ok. No, I've taken all three separately over the years but not together. Currently on Depakote and have an antipsychotic in Risperidone that I can use when needed. I didn't like Mirtazapine because antidepressants just messed me up, and Seroquel/Quetiapine just made me way too sleepy. I don't think I've seen a mention of all three together on here yet, but hopefuly someone can step forward to prove otherwise.
Do you have concerns or problems with that combo other than what you posted just a minute or two ago about the interaction between Mirtazapine and Seroquel?
I haven't started them Im just scared of the side effects so I wanted to see if anyone else has took all three combined.