Bipolar medicine

Y

Yodagirl

Has anyone found a bipolar medicine that doesn’t cause weight gain? Also positive or negative affects you’ve had and what meds caused those?

megirl

megirl

Are you already on medication yourself?
I take a few meds.
I'm on venlafaxine and lamotrigine, being an antidepressant and mood stabiliser, which didn't cause weight gain. I'm also on quetiapine which can cause weight gain, however I am lucky and my weight didn't change. I am one of those fortunate ones

I

itsmeagain

I've not needed to take any of them but people I work with prefer carbamazepine to Epilim or Depakote.
Carbamazepine seems less likely to cause weight gain.

megirl

megirl

I think in general its the newer generation of antipsychotics, eg quetiapine and olanzipine that cause weight gain. I was fortunate this didn't affect me. Its is a very common side effect, unfortunately

K

Kelly B

I gained a massive amount of weight on olanzapine. Took a couple of years to lose it. Lamotragine, however, is a great mood stabilizer. It’s worked wonders for me and no weight gain.

J

Jules5

I gained 35 lbs on risperdol, but now I am leveling off. The medication is working-weight loss is not. I am on anti psychotic drugs where as most of these drugs cause weight gain. Laduta was a anti psychotic I was on for a month and lost 4 lbs but the side effects of this drug were awful for me. some people respond well to this drug.

Y

Yodagirl

Are you already on medication yourself?
I take a few meds.
I'm on venlafaxine and lamotrigine, being an antidepressant and mood stabiliser, which didn't cause weight gain. I'm also on quetiapine which can cause weight gain, however I am lucky and my weight didn't change. I am one of those fortunate ones
I was just diagnosed with Bipolar a lil over a month ago. I take 150mg of Venlafaxine 30miligrams of Buspar, 100mg Lamotrigine and 100mg trazodone.