• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar Married Bipolar

W

Wtf is Normal

Another question! I’ve googling this one also, but haven’t come across any helpful results.
I’m bipolar - my husband is also bipolar. Basically we both went nuts and were diagnosed within a couple months of each other (about 2yrs ago). We have two kids, been married 2 years, and been together 6 years..

Is anyone else bipolar with bipolar spouse? What’s it like? Is it constant fighting? Are you manic at the same times? Etc.
I’m going into manic depression, and it seems like he is too (he’s always in denial about it), so we’ve been arguing a lot because we’re both trying to climb in the hole. One day I do EVERYTHING, the next day he does. Seems like a good idea, but we fight about who’s doing what and who’s picking up slack.
Curious how many others are dealing with this?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
That must be extremely difficult if your both manic at the same time as you wont have anyone to help curb your mania . When my partner was alive he would help me realise that i was ill. And if i wouldnt accept anything was wrong he would inform the services. Now I’m monitered by friends and family only . Are you both under the same MH teams so that they are aware of the problems that could arise. If not I strongly advise telling your p/doc when your in a sound phase and what your concerns are. Are your children safe when you become manic

W

Wtf is Normal

That must be extremely difficult if your both manic at the same time as you wont have anyone to help curb your mania . When my partner was alive he would help me realise that i was ill. And if i wouldnt accept anything was wrong he would inform the services. Now I’m monitered by friends and family only . Are you both under the same MH teams so that they are aware of the problems that could arise. If not I strongly advise telling your p/doc when your in a sound phase and what your concerns are. Are your children safe when you become manic
Yes kids are fine, my husband and I will usually ignore each other or argue about stupid things, I’m currently looking for a new doctor and I’m gonna schedule him an appointment too

T

timing

I was married for 17 years and both my husband and I were bipolar. I was more depressed, he more manic. We raised a son and daughter together. As far as fights go, I was the yeller, he was the calm one most of the time.
For most of the time we were undiagnosed, which led to long periods of choas. At one point in our marriage we were both ill at the same time. His symptoms were obvious and mine were pushed down so deep, I didn't know how bad I was. We separated and were hospitalized at the same time in different states. Six months later we reconciled.
Since it was so late in our marriage that we were diagnosed it was a relief to finally know it had a name. We both became more educated and able to know the triggers and symptoms. We grew to work with each other and help each other when one of us was in a phase. It certainly was not always smooth sailing. Ultimately the best years of our marriage were those last ones.
Looking back even with the challenges, they were the best 17 years of my life. I lost my husband in 2012 to a severe physical illness. I miss him everyday. He was my true soul mate.
So I can just say, it can work. It takes a lot of hard work but does'nt every marriage? Just hold on it will be a bumpy ride.

T

timing

I just wanted to add something about the kids. They did so well and I am so proud. My son is a physist. My daughter is a capital defender. We must have done something right!

M

markprosso538

I had dated a girl who has also bipolar. She basically self medicated though and I wasn't diagnosed at that time. It was passionate, if we were both on the same wavelength I think it was a lot of fun. But there were some rough waters for sure.