• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar - Is there light at the end of the tunnel?

sthistle92

sthistle92

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and looking for some help/support/any word of encouragement/ light at the end of the tunnel advice for this horrible bipolar diagnosis I have recently been given. I'm 27 and have been dealing with this all my life. I've been getting help with my bipolar for around 8 years but only started treatment (meds etc) for it last year. I keep feeling like I'm better then I'm not. I keep missing the manic side of my life and I feel like I'm almost grieving a past, lost version of myself!? I miss the highs.. and I cant deal with the lows.. Does it get better!?!?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and I hope I can help someone else out there who needs someone to talk to about their struggle with bipolar. :)

Hardknocks88

Hardknocks88

I am scizo effective which is a combination of hearing voices, depression , bi polar. The bi polar part didn't even bother me. Life has its highs and lows. The depression does drive me crazy though. It's like having a black head cloud over your head all the time. It sucks.

M

Makesmeafighter

It's difficult to deal with. That's a no brainer. But, you can manage to live a balanced life. The thing is to put in the effort to adapt. There things i still can't manage easily like relationships and dating. But i have managed a masters degree with honors and a steady job after once i worked on my issues. I hope you find a good support system. That's a gold mine for people like us. Good luck mate !

ponnett87

ponnett87

Without the lows I wouldn't know when to smile. I could do without them though!

M

Mister_Fabulous formerly BetaMale

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member and looking for some help/support/any word of encouragement/ light at the end of the tunnel advice for this horrible bipolar diagnosis I have recently been given. I'm 27 and have been dealing with this all my life. I've been getting help with my bipolar for around 8 years but only started treatment (meds etc) for it last year. I keep feeling like I'm better then I'm not. I keep missing the manic side of my life and I feel like I'm almost grieving a past, lost version of myself!? I miss the highs.. and I cant deal with the lows.. Does it get better!?!?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated and I hope I can help someone else out there who needs someone to talk to about their struggle with bipolar. :)
I'm bipolar and take meds (lamotrigine) only for the depressive part as I rarely become spontaneously manic. I totally understand what you say about missing the highs, though; my hypomanias of 2013 may have been the best weeks of my life.

sthistle92

sthistle92

I am scizo effective which is a combination of hearing voices, depression , bi polar. The bi polar part didn't even bother me. Life has its highs and lows. The depression does drive me crazy though. It's like having a black head cloud over your head all the time. It sucks.
Hello Hardknock :) I completely understand how you describe your depression being a black cloud over your head. I wish I could just control the weather!!. I sometimes go to bed in a great mood with no worries in the world. To then wake up the next day with a guilty conscience similar to that of committing a murder!? But there's just no reasoning for it. I think most days I'm just praying each night that I'll wake up feeling different? It truly does suck. Hope your well. st92.

sthistle92

sthistle92

It's difficult to deal with. That's a no brainer. But, you can manage to live a balanced life. The thing is to put in the effort to adapt. There things i still can't manage easily like relationships and dating. But i have managed a masters degree with honors and a steady job after once i worked on my issues. I hope you find a good support system. That's a gold mine for people like us. Good luck mate !
Hello Makesmeafighter! Thank you for your comment :) I guess I am in a similar situation. I hit a very hard depression when I started University. It really messed with my degree to the point I thought it was pretty hopeless just trying to finish. But luckily halfway through my studies by year 2, my mania kicked in. (Which helped me finish my studies and bring my overall grade up from a near fail, to obtaining a 2:1 degree!). However my relationship and ability to maintain any relationships vanished alongside my 'up' general mood. I hope to work in the same field as I got my degree in one day but I have lots to work on myself to do first. Thank you. Just finding people to talk to on here is more help than I've had in a long time :)

sthistle92

sthistle92

Without the lows I wouldn't know when to smile. I could do without them though!
Hello ponnett87 :) That is so true.. Having to experience such lows/highs really emphasises the opposite feeling! I always feel like smiling when I wake up and dont feel depresse :) Could definately do without them though, you got that right. It's like a lucky lottery each day.. waiting to pick out a stable number rather than a high or low one? Hope you are well. st92.

sthistle92

sthistle92

I'm bipolar and take meds (lamotrigine) only for the depressive part as I rarely become spontaneously manic. I totally understand what you say about missing the highs, though; my hypomanias of 2013 may have been the best weeks of my life.
Hello BetaMale :) I understand what you mean! My mood is always predominantly low. I'm always waiting for the highs to breathe that life into me again. What made your 2013 so memorable? I imagine its similiar to my summer of 2016!? - My mania took front seat of my life for nearly a year.

HLon99

HLon99

Hi sthistle92,

I think a lot of people with bipolar miss the way they feel during the highs. The increased energy, ability to be more productive and creative is very lucrative. But you also have to remember the price that you pay when you end up doing sh*tty impulsive and reckless things and the impacts these have had on your life and you loved ones. I myself have shouted and raged at my friends and family, stolen and crashed my parents' car and sunk myself in several hundreds of £s of credit card debt. I am 21 years old and due to my illness, I have also dropped out of university, previously being a straight A, sociable student.

And even if you don't feel like you can relate to any of these experiences, always remember, after the high there always comes the crash. I have been struggling with this illness for over a year but only recently mustered up the courage to seek help and begin treatment. Its only now that I am getting help and seeing things more clearly that I have realised how wrong I was to be in denial for so long.

But don't despair, there is help out there and there is always hope. I have heard many success stories. One of my mothers close friends has a very successful career and raised 3 children. This is by no means the end. Having a good relationship with your psychiatrist is key, as there will likely be a lot of tweaking of meds and therapies in the early stages of your treatment. Exercise and making healthy lifestyle choices is key. But the most important thing is that you have faith in yourself. Find some strength within you, whether its in your family, your job or your religion. Whether you rise or fall (metaphorically lol) in this life is in your hands.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope you pull through this.

-H

F

Failing Heart

Hi everyone,

I am struggling with the same thing and searching for the same answers...hang in there.

Zana

Zana

Some days it's just not possible to believe there is any hope because depression distorts the way we think. It's like putting on black tinted glasses. Those days I find it's best to do the bare minimum; take meds, eat something and stay hydrated. Other times, like when you're going into or coming out of depression, or when you're manic or hypomanic, or even those brief, wonderful 'normal' periods, we need to fight harder than most other people just to have normal lives.

Whilst the stigma has been broken across much of the world, those with mental health issues are often viewed as weaker than the rest of society. In fact the opposite is true; we who have to fight ourselves each day as well as everything else that life throws at us are some of the strongest of all mankind.

Remember that smooth seas never made a skilled sailor and there is always hope, even if you can't always see it.