• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bipolar in a relationship

J

JRoyal

Hello!! My girlfriend who is also my best friend was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder. For the past month, she has been really on edge and mad. She explodes on me and her sister after we ask even the simplest questions. She has strong depression and anxiety. In her past, she was sexually harassed and was self harming for a while. Within the last year I've known her, I've helped her with all of those. Throughout this whole time not once has she ever been rude or angry at me. I have tried everything I know to help her but idk what to do anymore. It really hurts how she has been acting towards me. I know she is not being this way on purpose but when you try hard to be happy and supporting for someone and they just yell and are rude to you, it is really hard to want to be around that person. I love her so much and this has not changed that. I have never cried because of her until these past few weeks. I don't know what to do. If anyone who is in a similar situation or has any advice for me, I would appreciate it greatly if you would help me out.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
Hello!! My girlfriend who is also my best friend was just diagnosed with bipolar disorder. For the past month, she has been really on edge and mad. She explodes on me and her sister after we ask even the simplest questions. She has strong depression and anxiety. In her past, she was sexually harassed and was self harming for a while. Within the last year I've known her, I've helped her with all of those. Throughout this whole time not once has she ever been rude or angry at me. I have tried everything I know to help her but idk what to do anymore. It really hurts how she has been acting towards me. I know she is not being this way on purpose but when you try hard to be happy and supporting for someone and they just yell and are rude to you, it is really hard to want to be around that person. I love her so much and this has not changed that. I have never cried because of her until these past few weeks. I don't know what to do. If anyone who is in a similar situation or has any advice for me, I would appreciate it greatly if you would help me out.
You need to share the caring role with her family. One person alone cannot do this.

Is she seeing her psychiatrist and on medication?

J

JRoyal

She starts medication this week and yes she is seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist

S

STL

Former member
My wife had a hard time dealing with my illness. I had behavior towards her which was... unpleasant. This was before she knew about my illness. We are still together today, 13 years later because of her love and understanding. All the nights I was in the hospital without her having a clue what was happening to me couldn't have been easy.

All I can say is that, if you truly love her, just try to be there for her. A lot of times, we don't realize how we are acting towards others and don't mean to be cruel or insensitive. Persistence is the key here. Being there day in and day out will help her stabilize and have some semblance of normalcy in her life that she is unable to provide for herself.

J

JRoyal

My wife had a hard time dealing with my illness. I had behavior towards her which was... unpleasant. This was before she knew about my illness. We are still together today, 13 years later because of her love and understanding. All the nights I was in the hospital without her having a clue what was happening to me couldn't have been easy.

All I can say is that, if you truly love her, just try to be there for her. A lot of times, we don't realize how we are acting towards others and don't mean to be cruel or insensitive. Persistence is the key here. Being there day in and day out will help her stabilize and have some semblance of normalcy in her life that she is unable to provide for herself.

Thank you so much for your advice. I really appreciate your input :)

S

SFGuy

During my last downturn, for about 6 months I was irritable and had several episodes of blind rage directed at my husband. I was lucky — I could see how nutty the rages were and apologize right after they happened. I had never raged at anyone before and meant nothing I said.

If you love your girlfriend, remember that some of us say things because we’re in a sick place and we don’t mean it.