• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar II Meds

carpediem

carpediem

Founding Member
What meds work for you if you have been diagnosed with bipolar II? I have been on nothing but antidepressants for twenty years and have had twenty years of ups and major downs and changes and increased dosages and hospitalization blah, blah, blah. I have been doing well on effexor for at least five years but was recently going downhill...fast. New doctor sends me to psychiatrist who diagnoses me as bipolar II. He has actually asked me to research mood stabilizers (he gave me a list) and when I go back we are going to decide what I want to try. ( I've never had a doc who actually values my opinion and input like this!) He says once I adjust to the new type of medicine, he will slowly take me off effexor (which I hear is easier said than done). Has anyone had a similar experience to mine. I value your thoughts.

Kos

Kos

Hey!! That's very similar to me!!!

I was diagnosed with depression at 16, and have been on a different variety of antidepressants the last 11 years, fluoxetine, effexor, citalopram, escitalopram.

I tried an anit-psychotic last summer called abilify which is fairly new on the market, but not because I had been diagnosed bipolar, but because I had severe body dysmorphia disorder, I ended up not taking it, and entered into an episode of hypomania - I'd had 3 or 4 of these before but never mentioned it to the psychiatrist as I didn't even know it was happening.

Eventually this Christmas I went back to the doctor because I was feeling so "high" and was diagnosed bipolar II. My dosage of fluoxetine (I was previously on 60mg) is slowly being decreased till I am off it, and I'm taking 400mg of seroquel, and I can honestly say this is the best I've ever felt. I'm no longer depressed - I'm fairly happy and have a bright outlook, but I'm also very stable in regard to my mood. Some days I still struggle with some symptoms of hypomania, but overall my quality of life has improved. I would totally reccomend seroquel (Quetiapine )

Good luck, hope all goes well.
:grouphug:

S

shell

Hey!! That's very similar to me!!!

I was diagnosed with depression at 16, and have been on a different variety of antidepressants the last 11 years, fluoxetine, effexor, citalopram, escitalopram.

I tried an anit-psychotic last summer called abilify which is fairly new on the market, but not because I had been diagnosed bipolar, but because I had severe body dysmorphia disorder, I ended up not taking it, and entered into an episode of hypomania - I'd had 3 or 4 of these before but never mentioned it to the psychiatrist as I didn't even know it was happening.

Eventually this Christmas I went back to the doctor because I was feeling so "high" and was diagnosed bipolar II. My dosage of fluoxetine (I was previously on 60mg) is slowly being decreased till I am off it, and I'm taking 400mg of seroquel, and I can honestly say this is the best I've ever felt. I'm no longer depressed - I'm fairly happy and have a bright outlook, but I'm also very stable in regard to my mood. Some days I still struggle with some symptoms of hypomania, but overall my quality of life has improved. I would totally reccomend seroquel (Quetiapine )

Good luck, hope all goes well.
:grouphug:
Hiya, I have only been diagnosed bp2 about 8weeks now I'm on seroquel I take 300mg at night I was just wondering how you take your dose. I just found it really sedating I still found I was depressed. The pdoc has recommended depakote as well 500mg in the morning and 500mg at night , I took the first dose this morning and had to go back to bed I felt so sick :( I didn't get up till 1.00pm . I usually get depressed for a few months then high for a few months over one yr . Do you work ? I'm off sick at the moment :(

carpediem

carpediem

Founding Member
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am working and worry about the effects of new meds. I teach so I have to have energy, but the way I have gone into a deep depression again hasn't been helping the job either....damned if you do...He has prescribed lamictal, which aside from the severe 'life threatening' rash...sounds pretty good. Never knew a rash could be life threatening!

S

shell

wow thats scary. I work at a school as a teaching assistant but am off sick I just couldn't go to work at the moment just diagnosed 8weeks ago really bad depression :( head racing unable to concentrate I wish they could get the drugs right so I can go back.

D

Deremna

I just got diagnosed with BPDII yesterday. I was on Effexor 150mg for about a year because a previous psychiatrist had diagnosed me with depression. It didn't help at all, obviously, and the withdrawal when I went off was just awful. I've been off of it for about 3 months and I just recently stopped having ringing in my ears.

The new psych also prescribed me Lamictal as well as Wellbutrin. She's starting me on the lowest dose of Lamictal for now and she also warned me abotu the horrible rash that no one ever gets.

Keep us posted on how it's working for you so I can compare notes about how it's working for me! (y)

N

nattyone

Right now I wish I'd stayed on my effexor lamactil seroquel combo. I was doing really well. Since being on the seroqel depakote combination I feel awefull but then I'm only on 750 mg depakote and 100 seroqel so it could just b too low a dose. Tonight dose was upped to 500mg of depakote so we Shall see if the week improves . Apparantly this combo us better for mixed episodes and rapid cyclers. Right now it's barely a cycle as it's so rapid if I blink I must be missing the good bits. Then I wonder I'd this is just me , not sick just anxious paranoid and depressed and them too chatty all in the space of a week or two.

B

BP2

I am also BP2 and still searching for a suitable combination of medication.

I have been on 15mg Mirtazapine and 50mg of Lamotrigine for the last year with the odd tweak here and there.

I opted for Lamotrigine owing to its benign side effect profile - other than the rash - and it is supposed to be good for people for whom depression is a bigger problem than hypomania etc.

I think it has helped with the depression and overall I have been a little more stable than just on the AD, but i have always thought it contributed to my irritability and anxiety. But other than that no side effects

My pdoc decided to take me off Lamotrigine earlier this week as attempts to increase the dose and taper off the AD have always failed and in his view it is not stabilising my moods effectively. He keeps saying I am in a mixed state.

I have now opted for Seroquel but have not yet plucked up the courage to start it. The other choices I was given were Depakote and Carbamazepine. None of them really appealed owing to the weight gain which is already a huge problem with the Mirtazapine.

BTW I was previously on Venlafaxine a couple of years ago and had no problems at all coming off it at all. I barely even noticed in fact other than I felt a lot better for not taking it.

S

Sarah81

my medications

Hi i have had a BPII diagnosis for about2 and ahalf years now and have been through all the anti depressants and have now settled on a combination od Depekote 500mg twice a day and Lamotragine 200mg oncea day 6mg of diazapam and 150mg of promazine, I have not hadany of the nasty side effects that they claim to have and i need to admit that i do have more good days than i used to but the down days can still be a real struggle.
Hope that you get your meds sorted!!!!xxx

C

cyberpolar

i would like to know from members of the forum - who know what are the weight problem drugs for people who have bipolar disorders - i have a bipolar disorder and would like to know as I have weight problems!

A

angel10

I have bp2 and I'm on 800mg of lithium and quitepine. Which are working well for me at the minute

Yorkshirelass

Yorkshirelass

i would like to know from members of the forum - who know what are the weight problem drugs for people who have bipolar disorders - i have a bipolar disorder and would like to know as I have weight problems!
I think most (if not all) mood stabilisers have weight gain as a noted side effect, but they affect different people in different ways. From personal experience, Depakote (semisodium valproate) and Seroquel (quetiapine) are pretty bad for it (for me at least). Now I'm just on lithium and I have stopped putting on weight at least. Now to lose some...

C

cyberpolar

Hi - thanks for the reply - but i'm trying to figure what bipolar medication puts on weight - good to know your treatment is going well, be safe!

Last edited:
Yorkshirelass

Yorkshirelass

As I said, they pretty much ALL do - but it depends on how your body reacts to them. The only way to truly know is to try them and see.

C

cyberpolar

yes you're right about the body reacting to all them - i'll have to be aware what i'm taking - thanks for the advice and take care!

Last edited: