• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar II disorder - do i have a severe mental illness?

T

tony2010

Bipolar II disorder - do i have a severe mental illness?
Hi. I am 22 and i am from Glasgow. This morning i seen my psychiatrist. You see i was in hospital for six days about six weeks ago where the diagnosis was recurrent depressive disorder. When i seen the psychiatrist this morningshe told me i had Bipolar II disorder. My question is, do i have a severe mental illness?Thank you very much and hope you have a nice day.

emski

emski

Bipolar may be referred to as a severe mental illness, but so may be recurrent depressive disorder. That doesn't matter, anything can seem severe to anyone at any given time, the important thing is how you deal with it and not to get bogged down with the diagnosis :flowers:

dib4uk

dib4uk

Bipolar may be referred to as a severe mental illness, but so may be recurrent depressive disorder. That doesn't matter, anything can seem severe to anyone at any given time, the important thing is how you deal with it and not to get bogged down with the diagnosis :flowers:
I totally agree with u on that one, anything can be severe to the individual. For some people they can cope better than others, some not so much .

;)

S

suzy

I'm type one and don't see it as severe

As long as it doesn't stop you doing from what you want to do in life, it's not severe. Ok. Yes it was very severe at the point I was ill. But once you are over it and stable it should not be seen as severe