• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar Fatigue and daily routine

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm really glad to be here

I was diagnosed with bipolar in 2002. I'm on Olanzapine 5mg now. The problem that I have is that I feel tired most of the time and I don't know how much of this is my med which is sedative AND how much is my bad habits....

I have a problem with my daily routine. I can't wake up in the morning at all. Or I'm half awake but still, eyes closed and won't get up for 1-2h, as if I don't want to face the day.

Then when I finally wake up, I still stay in bed to read a book etc. I know this is not healthy at all. But I have no motivation to do anything...
I should be waking up early, exercising at some point in a day.... but I can't make myself do this

I choose the path of least resistance because I feel like since diagnosis and being on meds my life is over! I basically can't wait for all this to be over. I don't feel any happiness. It's been like this for a long time. I also feel like, what's the point to try anything now... I'm in my late 30s.

My medication makes me so sedated. I don't feel anything. My emotions are flat. I wish I could come off it BUT most probably I'll have a relapse if I do. Happened before.

I know that if I tried to make positive changes and break the bad patterns I'd probably be better....but another day passes and I still do the same thing.

Does anyone experience similar?
How is your daily routine? What time do you get up and go to bed?
How do you make yourself to exercise - if you do?
How do you manage bipolar fatigue?

A part of me wants to have a better life but I don't find the strength to fight.

Thanks so much! Sending you Blessings!

Julia

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi Julia welcome to the forums. I was diagnosed with Bipolar with psychotic features around 2012.
I go to bed around 9pm and wake up at 6:30 am. but after I wake up I usually spend a few hours dozing and ruminating about the state of my life.
I am not working at the moment so there is time for this but as you said it really isn’t healthy. I live with my parents and motivation for me comes from
my mother quite a lot. We usually take a brisk two mile walk daily that I likely would not do if it weren’t for her. I attribute a lot of my lack of energy and interest in daily life to the depression that comes with a diagnosis of Bipolar disorder.
That and not having demands on me really in life.
For me outside motivation, ie my mother, works best in staying on a healthy track with things. I’m not sure that I would be able to find the motivation without her. xo, j

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Hi Julia welcome to the forums. I was diagnosed with Bipolar with psychotic features around 2012.
I go to bed around 9pm and wake up at 6:30 am. but after I wake up I usually spend a few hours dozing and ruminating about the state of my life.
I am not working at the moment so there is time for this but as you said it really isn’t healthy. I live with my parents and motivation for me comes from
my mother quite a lot. We usually take a brisk two mile walk daily that I likely would not do if it weren’t for her. I attribute a lot of my lack of energy and interest in daily life to the depression that comes with a diagnosis of Bipolar disorder.
That and not having demands on me really in life.
For me outside motivation, ie my mother, works best in staying on a healthy track with things. I’m not sure that I would be able to find the motivation without her. xo, j
Thanks so much Jessis! It's nice to connect with someone who understands things 1st hand!
It's such a blessing that your mum is helping and nudging you to do things! Wow, I don't remember when I manageded to get up at 6:30 am lately! Mission impossible for me, but then I go to bed late late... 23:00, 00.00.

I also find walking good... but I don't go on a walk every day!

You're so right about depression, always lingering!

Just looking for ways to feel better....

floater

floater

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Was on olanzapine - for a time - its definitely the meds, nowadays I'm back on the lithium and whilst my sleeping pattern is odd and especially so in winter, I've got none of that constant lethargy and apathy I had on olanzapine. (only occasional lethargy from staying awake too much)

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

Was on olanzapine - for a time - its definitely the meds, nowadays I'm back on the lithium and whilst my sleeping pattern is odd and especially so in winter, I've got none of that constant lethargy and apathy I had on olanzapine. (only occasional lethargy from staying awake too much)
Thanks so much Floater! I found it helpful :)

OmniscientNihilist

OmniscientNihilist

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i dont take meds. because most of the time my bipolar is tolerable. the really bad parts dont last more then a few days if i avoid triggers

K

keith74

My wife is currently on 7.5mg Olanzapine (down from a peak of 15mg when she was manic a few months ago). She definitely sleeps a lot (11-12 hours). We feel that part of the reason is that she is currently not working and as so specific need to get up at a certain time. She mentioned lack of motivation to get out of bed. She is also prone to taking naps during the day. But if I plan specific activities for us to do in the morning (like exercise), she will get up for them. We also feel that once she goes back to her job, that will help in giving her motivation to get up. I also try to make sure she fills the rest her day with other planned activities, otherwise she will have the desire to just go back to bed. If she has things to do, she will stay up. When she is up and doing her activities, she is pretty awake and motivated. I think it is important to have a set schedule/routine. If you can plan activities with others, that is even better since it will be harder to cancel on a whim.

Julia_2021

Julia_2021

My wife is currently on 7.5mg Olanzapine (down from a peak of 15mg when she was manic a few months ago). She definitely sleeps a lot (11-12 hours). We feel that part of the reason is that she is currently not working and as so specific need to get up at a certain time. She mentioned lack of motivation to get out of bed. She is also prone to taking naps during the day. But if I plan specific activities for us to do in the morning (like exercise), she will get up for them. We also feel that once she goes back to her job, that will help in giving her motivation to get up. I also try to make sure she fills the rest her day with other planned activities, otherwise she will have the desire to just go back to bed. If she has things to do, she will stay up. When she is up and doing her activities, she is pretty awake and motivated. I think it is important to have a set schedule/routine. If you can plan activities with others, that is even better since it will be harder to cancel on a whim.
Thanks so much! It's very helpful regarding the activities and schedule otherwise I gravitate towards bed.... unfortunately. She's so lucky to have you and the support and encouragement you're giving her :)

Ruma55

Ruma55

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post. I'm really glad to be here

I was diagnosed with bipolar in 2002. I'm on Olanzapine 5mg now. The problem that I have is that I feel tired most of the time and I don't know how much of this is my med which is sedative AND how much is my bad habits....

I have a problem with my daily routine. I can't wake up in the morning at all. Or I'm half awake but still, eyes closed and won't get up for 1-2h, as if I don't want to face the day.

Then when I finally wake up, I still stay in bed to read a book etc. I know this is not healthy at all. But I have no motivation to do anything...
I should be waking up early, exercising at some point in a day.... but I can't make myself do this

I choose the path of least resistance because I feel like since diagnosis and being on meds my life is over! I basically can't wait for all this to be over. I don't feel any happiness. It's been like this for a long time. I also feel like, what's the point to try anything now... I'm in my late 30s.

My medication makes me so sedated. I don't feel anything. My emotions are flat. I wish I could come off it BUT most probably I'll have a relapse if I do. Happened before.

I know that if I tried to make positive changes and break the bad patterns I'd probably be better....but another day passes and I still do the same thing.

Does anyone experience similar?
How is your daily routine? What time do you get up and go to bed?
How do you make yourself to exercise - if you do?
How do you manage bipolar fatigue?

A part of me wants to have a better life but I don't find the strength to fight.

Thanks so much! Sending you Blessings!

Julia
How long have you been taking the Olanzapine? It sounds to me like it’s not working for you- maybe you should talk to your doctor about the symptoms your having and see if they’ll try something different. I had to try so many different kinds of meds before I found some that helped me to feel like I could get out of bed. It sounds to me like you’re still depressed, or going through a depressive episode- sometimes they sneak up on you slowly and you don’t realize your in one. It’s easy to attribute your symptoms to laziness or lack of motivation and then feel worse about it.

Lithium also made me feel like your describing- it leveled everything out mood-wise at a numb, unfeeling level. When I’m not properly medicated I feel a lot like what you’re describing- can’t get out of bed, no motivation, sleep a lot or can’t sleep at all- working out is out of the question. It doesn’t have to be the meds causing it, it could just mean that particular med doesn’t work for you anymore.

Even now that I’m stable on my meds I try really hard to keep a routine, I get up around 7 and go to bed around 10. I try to eat somewhat healthy and at least walk a little bit every day, although even now I suck at working out lol. If I stay up all night or start skipping meals I start to become manic even with the meds. You don’t have to feel this way, I think you should talk to your doctor.