• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

bipolar episode- need advice

J

jordann127

I have been diagnosed with bipolar for quite some time now. I am taking Seroquel right now & it has been working well up until the past couple months. I feel myself slipping into a depression episode & I know if I go to my doctor he'll just prescribe more medication & I don't want that yet. does anyone know of any natural ways to help remedy bipolar episodes? different ways of calming myself or even changes in diet. any advice would help. thanks :3

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
Mania is far easier to treat in bipolar than the depressive aspect. In fact, they really haven't figured out how to best treat it effectively. I base this on current research I follow.

sunlight, exercise, cutting out extra sugars are well known tips but if you are like me, you may get too depressed to actually do much of anything. I am an introvert so not likely to attend support groups tho I hear some can be wonderful.

I know you said you don't want more meds but were it me, I would ask them to add in lamictal. Lamictal and lithium provide the best protection from depression as far as I know.

As far as calming yourself, it helps me in lots of ways to periodically go on a jag of watching youtube documentaries, lectures and reading about my illness to help regain perspective, expectations and learn of new developments.

I wish you the best.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Jordann

Welcome to the forum. :welcome:

Seroquel is supposed to be one of,the drugs which also helps with the depressive phase of mood disorders.

It does seem that most of the drugs that help work better on mania. Most of the advice for helping control bipolar is also aimed at helping with mania. I definitely think it is worth researching alternative approaches, but would suggest you look into ways of helping with depression (as a single disorder) as well. I am diagnosed with schizoaffective (bipolar type) but struggle mostly with depression.

I am off drugs at the moment and trying to find alternative ways to help. I am currently looking into therapy and going to try Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. There are lots of different types, it is not easy to choose, this opportunity came up for me to do it. It is a type of behaviour therapy plus mindfulness.

DBT, which is often used with borderline personality disorder, is also supposed to be good for bipolar, and includes self-calming. You can find self help books to work through if you can't get on a course.

I think it is probably good to find as many different things that are helpful to you, and have a list to work through, depending on how you feel. With me, depression can take so many forms, from lethargic lie in bed and can't function, to agitated and can't rest, to suicidal. I think each needs a different approach. The trouble, as I am sure you know, is when you are depressed it is quite hard to do things you know might help.

Keep in touch and let me know how you get on. And if you have any other ideas of what might help.

best wishes, Sarah