Bipolar DIsorder

A

arcircle5339

I am confused if I have bipolar or not, I have Mania several times a year and my cognition and memory also changes time by time with my mood. I have poor memory when I am kinda depressesed and good memory on elevated mood and mania and my intelligence , creativity etc also improves.

Doctor told me that I have Fluctuating mood and he gave me a Tetracyclic Antidepressant (Mirtazapine) and an antipsychotic Risperidone. Yes, I had psychosis . But now I am avoiding my doctor's advice and taking only antidepressant and my memory/cognition is improved. But I am very little mania type now. But not sure thou cos everyone around me is just like that.

I dont have good memory and cognition when I am taking both antidepressant and antipsychotic. So I chose only antidepressant cos it helps me more with depression.

Can you explain all of this?

D

Dashem

Hello

Hi and welcome, i like u are just a new member to this site...also i suffer with bi polar which i am rather confused about..It all started in 2000 when i had a break down and was off work for a couple off months, previous to that i was on anti depressants cos from around my early 20's i have suffered on and off with depression..since 2000 i started having episodes of mania 2-3 times a yr so my physcologist put me on depakote a mood stabiliser as well as the anti d..when i am havn a manic mood i take olazapine an anti physcotic that soon brings me back to reallity, generally after 1-2 wks i return to a more stable mood, which but unforttunately tends to be mainly depressive..all ur classic signs of depression.. but the feelings i have wen in a manic mood are great but i no they are not right or good for me, because with it comes quite a lot of paranoia..feeling invinceable, walking or air but also burning myself out and taking on too much whiich back fires in end, so as soon as these manic moods come on i start to take the olanzapine... i like u suffer with memory as norm, but in mania i remem alsorts, its such a good feeling.... anyway over time we have found out that my mania seems to be brought on by very stressful situations...the last episode i had was in novem las yr wen my grand daughter was in hosp really poorly, i managed to hold it together for just over a wk but then it all errupted..touch wood since then i have had no more mania but am at the moment going thru a stressful time that is goin to get worse before it gets better and i am starting now like i am starting to containing it.. i have been to see my physch and cpn so they are aware of it...also i forgot to mention that with my moods been a lot more on the depressive side my physc is going to try me on a different mood stabilisers called litium, this can be a good one for helping to boost the effect of anti d because some ppl with bi polar who are classed as rapid cyclers who get frequent manic moods tend not to be on anti d's just on mood stabilisers and also mayb anti physcotics...well i feel like i have rambled on enough now and just wanted to welcome and share some of my experiences...hope you return to this site and find it off some help everyone seems to be friendly....bye

:)

A

arcircle5339

Thanks

Thanks. Your reply seems to be real helpful. What antidepressant do you take? And do you think I have Bipolar?:confused:

D

Dashem

hi

i take an anti d called reboxetine...u do seem to have very similar experiences to me that could relate to bi polar, but with me it took so many years to be diagnosed i was 4 ever back and forth to the docs be 4 i got referred to see a physc and then i started off by just seeing a support worker it wasnt really until 2000 when i had my breakdown that they started looking more deeply into it.......i cant really give u any advice but just say of in my experience i have by been honest and opening up totally to my physc that this has helped the situation, i see my physc every 2-3 months and cpn in between, but i have family and friends who are aware of things and are very supportive, it helps me alot...dont know if that any use to you, but keep in touch on the site and read other posts i find it very helpful....bye:)

A

arcircle5339

Ok

Thanks again , I will try to look in other posts and try to define my disorder :)

D

Dollit

You're unlikely to be able to define your disorder just by being here. This is a peer support forum and there are very few professionals on here. If you dispute your diagnosis then you should talk to your GP or psych and talk of the reasons why you are disputing it. Bipolarity is not a simple condition where all people are the same - we all have different experiences.