• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar disorder with psychosis?

Faylen

Faylen

I am interested to hear from anyone who experiences psychotic tendencies along with their bipolar type.

I can suffer extreme paranoia, delusions, hallucinations and detached feelings. My diagnosis included psychosis and schizophrenic tendencies.

I have done a lot of research into bipolar since my diagnosis but if I am honest I do not know exactly what I am looking for.

Reassurance that I am not going crazy? Ways to help? Ways to understand why I am this way and if it will ever get better? Was I born like this? Did I become like this because of my sordid abusive childhood?

Anything you can share or suggest I am open to.

Thanks guys.

Frost

Frost

Heya!

I was diagnosed type II bipolar about 18 months ago, although my shrink has been trying to suggest schizoaffective recently. I'm not sure if I get proper 'paranoia', but my anxiety can get pretty close to that particularly when I'm 'up'. So maybe that is proper paranoia.. haha. I also have dissociative experiences pretty frequently when I'm 'down', ranging from feeling like I'm in a daydream/memory to feeling like I'm controlling my body from elsewhere. Definitely had my share of delusions of grandeur, too. Don't really get overt hallucinations, but plenty of mild-moderate visual/auditory perceptual distortion.

As for reassurance, it depends what you mean by 'going crazy'. If you've been diagnosed as bipolar and you're having psychotic symptoms then a lot of people would probably think of that as 'crazy', but plenty of others see it as simply another dimension of the human psyche. Personally I've accepted the medical label and am taking my meds, but have recently become very interested in other ways of exploring my own mind. Your docs should be good for meds/psychotherapy, the likes of this website are good for other avenues of thought.

So yeah, you can think of it as a (very) poorly understood neurological disorder, as something in the 'mind'... or there are a variety of other ways people understand their 'disorders'. As for whether it'll ever get better, bipolar is technically a lifelong diagnosis, but tbh I don't really think it has to be looked at like that.

Very sorry to hear about your childhood :( there's been plenty of research into the effects of childhood abuse on adult mental illness, and sadly (but perhaps unsurprisingly) the former often precipitates the latter.

Hope you're going ok over there, hugs from the antipodes!

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Faylen

I wrote you a long reply, then my battery went dead and I lost it! Let's see what I can remember.

My diagnosis is schizoaffective bipolar type, which is like bipolar and schizophrenia combined. I have mood symptoms plus the psychotic symptoms you mentioned.

Many people (mainly psychologists) believe trauma can cause a lot of these problems. Others (mainly psychiatrists) see it as a brain illness. Could be either, could be both, so little is really known about the brain.

Some people do seem to improve as they get older, but whether this is the condition improving or that they get better at dealing with it, who knows. I know for one thing that years ago (fortunately undiagnosed and unmedicated) I didn't know when I was psychotic, whereas now for example I usually know when I am delusional, although it still feels very real and sometimes still act as if it were real. I do know people who have had the condition for many years and are off meds and able to resist the symptoms. It varies between individuals.

I look at information about bipolar and schizophrenia, since both are relevant. You could also look at info about schizoaffective, as that is very similar.

A lot of people with bipolar chart their moods and try to find patterns and triggers for episodes, and use natural methods to help manage things, like sleep patterns and stress. There is loads of info on the web to give idea if you want to try this.

Also there is work done on dealing with delusional thinking (they like to call it dealing with "unusual beliefs") in different ways, rather than changing it, which can be hard for some people. There are support groups for paranoia and for hearing voices, websites, etc.

And of course there is medication and various therapies.

The best thing is to find out as much as you can, and look into what might suit you.

Sarah

S

suzy

Bipolar with psychosis is type 1, thats the diff bet 1 and 2 (presence of mania or/and psychosis)

I wouldn't say you are going crazy, just that at times in your life you may need meds for this, follow your docs advice :)

K

kmwt3

I have bipolar 1 with psychotic features. I am on a high dose of medication and it's somewhat working. I quit taking it for a bit and went downhill fast. I hallucinate and it's interfered with work to the point my employer suggested I quit. I suffer from paranoia and here voices. I feel people can read my mind and there's cameras in my house . sometimes I think my hubby put them there but other times I feel my landlords (government housing).
It is extremely hard to deal with.
I also suffer from night terrors and very vivid dreams that make me feel as if I have had no sleep. I guess my hubby has to shake me awake at night because I'm screaming, kicking and hyperventilating. The other night he had to wake me up 4 times within the first hour of falling asleep. I vaguely remember feeling so terrified I would die my heart was pounding sooo hard. The others I don't remember except for the vivid dreams.
I am in such a difficult place right now so I get what you're going through. I hope things get better for you and you find what you're looking for.