• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar disorder and stress management... HELP

P

PolarOpposite84

I am new to this site, I am not exactly sure how this works but I'm going to go out on a limb and ask the question anyway. I've been diagnosed with bipolar for 7 years now, I've been on lithium for that entire time. I never really cared to research my disorder or going to counseling because I didn't really believe I had it. I would have many episodes but as long as I wasn't getting arrested or using street drugs I thought that I was OK on the lithium. That was until this past January when I lost my job and had a complete breakdown. I'm kind of glad that I did looking back because I learned so much about myself in the last 2 months then I did in 7 years combined. I have found that my number one trigger is stress. if it's something huge like losing a job I have a breakdown and can't function for months and cry and contemplate suicide and act totally not myself, even minor things like my car broke down yesterday, its going to the shop on Monday and I have the money for it. but just that little thing threw me off. I had emotions that we're not appropriate for the situation and I could identify that but I couldn't stop them from coming. I feel caged like an animal in my house, I keep having these thoughts of why does this always happen to me, I actually wanted to take a baseball bat to the car. I was recently put on Latuda because I had such a long depression. It worked miracles on me within Days. I felt calm and content and hopeful for the first time in a long time. I really want to manage my illness but I don't know how to handle stress. I know what the norm is, breathe, relax, read a book, exercise.... but that doesn't work for me because I have a lot of anxiety it's very hard for me to sit still... I'm looking for a new option. as soon as something triggers stress I shut down completely. I need to find a way that will work for me; does anybody have any suggestions?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It sounds like you were able to have some insight into your emotions and realise that your reactions were perhaps a bit out of proportion for what was happening.
I think that's actually really promising, because the more aware we can become of our emotions the better chance we have of changing them.

It does sound like maybe in the past you weren't willing or ready to go for counselling or therapy, but i'm wondering if you'd be more interested in doing something like that now?
Whilst I think that ultimately only we can know ourselves and work on ourselves, it is a huge help to have another person there to help us process our emotions and to also help us learn different techniques (such as mindfulness) that can empower us to have more control over our emotions.