• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar Disorder and Marijuana Use????????

P

PolarOpposite84

So as the title mentioned I'm curious on everyone's thoughts about the use of pot in people with bipolar disorder. Do you think it makes it better or worse? Do you have first hand experience? What about other mental disorders, could this plant be a lifesaver or a huge trigger to a devastating episode? I'm curious to know (fyi I'm actually experimenting so I wanna hear some feedback. Thanks)

D

Dottyone

Its been proven to make people severly paranoid, my neighbour smokes it and he has major issues with Paranoia.

I dont think it should be ruled out as an alternative, maybe they should do tests and studys to find out if it helps people in other ways and stop faffing about.

Just because its illegal does not mean it does not have healing or relieving properties with Mental Health Issues, they also want to start lsd trials and are trying to raise the funding.

Good luck with your experiment

T

Topcat

Agree with CPU, very much an individual thing. To be used with caution.
There are lots of variables too. Growing conditions, additives, strength of THC/CBD, strain of plant etc.

Some people who find benefit from it with bipolar use a sativa strain when low as it (supposedly) has an uplifting effect, and an indica strain when high as it has a more sedating effect. CBD is supposedly beneficial medically as opposed to THC which is what gets you high. There is some research ongoing into whether CBD helps psychotic symptoms.
I very occasionally smoke/vape, either homegrown or from a grower who is quite passionate and greenfingered and we always know what we're getting.
(Used to be a heavy user years ago - but mostly the crap stuff, and swore off it for a long time when I realised it made my depression and sleep patterns worse)

However, personally I find 70% of the time it's no help/makes things worse. If I'm having "symptoms" that I am looking to self medicate, I will try just a little, wait and see. If it makes me feel worse straight away, then leave it. If if makes me feel worse the next day, leave it.
Also, some exacerbates/enhances a high mood, which I suppose is the 'wrong thing to do' despite it feeling good and generally leads to wanting to feel high/good and using it more - but essentially this is not treating bipolar symptoms its flying high and probably leads to bad decisions, impulsive behaviour, not being sensible etc etc.

Personally still preferable to self medicating with alcohol, but at that sort of point in things, its not 'treating' symptoms, its escapism and getting through the crap.

Just my personal view anyway :)

Kerome

Kerome

I don't use drugs at all other than occasionally a glass of wine, and don't have bipolar, but I came across this which might help:

Science Daily article on cannabis and bipolar

Some research I did showed naturally grown weed is a lot better for you from a psychosis vulnerability point of view than the strong skunk they grow under 24 hour artificial lighting, but it's quite hard to get naturally grown weed these days.

Not sure if it is relevant but I also experimented with CBD oil which you can now get from various places to keep a lid on things when last reducing meds, but that was largely unsuccessful. Perhaps the dosage was too low though, the effective dose as an antipsychotic is way higher than what most places sell in oils.

Last edited:
P

PolarOpposite84

I should have clarified in my original post that I meant using marijuana as an added medication to what you're already taking. Not even as a medication per se, but for recreational use. I'm on lithium, latuda, and xanex. Pot used to make me paranoid, that's until I found the high grade stuff. Weed isn't dirty south of the border weed anymore this is medically grown and much more favorable. I find myself extremely relaxed, both high and sober. I wake up ealier and that with a combination of Latuda I haven't had a depressive episode in as long as I can remember. In fact, I feel better than I have in YEARS

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
its such a complicated plant. people recognise themselves as unique but not often plants and there aint no plant as psychoactively unique as a cannabis plant; there are no two cannabis plants identically alike

which makes the science difficult and experimentation hit and miss

not only is each bag different

but time has an interesting effect on cannabis

as cannabis degrades its chemical structure alters

CBD increases in proportion to THC as cannabis degrades; so if you get a very strong bag, put into into storage for a while

in very general terms any hallucinogenic combined with mania is going to be a hall of mirrors with unpredictable reactions, but if you have one foot firmly on the earth, you shouldn't have too much problem

synthesised versions of THC etc are probably best avoided IMO

have you met with any interesting results in your experiemnts so far?

Last edited:
rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can't remember how many active chemicals there are in cannabis. last time I looked they'd discovered 60 or so and were admitting there were probably more to find.

I think in general terms from memory there are about 40. the highest proportion is THC and CBD but those two interact in just mindblowingly complex ways with the other 40 or so chemicals, which are all in a state of flux once the bud has been cut from the root.

if you are interested in cannabis the go-to-man is a professor known as mitch earlywine. his book about cannabis is worth reading. if nothing else, it's humbling.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
also, some people digest cannabis rather than smoke it which is interesting too as there are so many "neurochemical receptors" in the gut...

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Id always get the giggles more from brownies than I would smoking it.
I could murder abrownie now I think about it

T

Topcat

also, some people digest cannabis rather than smoke it which is interesting too as there are so many "neurochemical receptors" in the gut...
Eating it...... memorably am usually in for a massive trip, most often not ending in fun times, lol.
Much more caution required :)

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Eating it...... memorably am usually in for a massive trip, most often not ending in fun times, lol.
Much more caution required :)
Yes I hold fond memories of a birthday where I though it'd be fun to have brownies before goin out. Now I'm craving some, I think I'm going to have to follow this up, I know just the man too :)

T

Topcat

Yes I hold fond memories of a birthday where I though it'd be fun to have brownies before goin out. Now I'm craving some, I think I'm going to have to follow this up, I know just the man too :)
Have not so fond memories of tripping my tits off in bf's bedroom, alone, because I could just about ride it out alone, couldn't shut my eyes - too intense, when I opened them - too intense, shut them, open them, etc etc

That and another time, smoking it, eating it, and drinking 20/20 :yuck: followed by some kind of ridiculous conversation with my visiting grandmother

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ketamin is the one fucking hell! That rarely agreed with me and I'd trip balls. Not my drug of choice at all! Id love to watch people make idiots of themselves on it though, it was big in our town bout ten years ago now lol now that was funny!!