• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bipolar discussion - please add your comments and advice

T

teddybear2067

Hi there :)

I've had bipolar disorder most of my life and my friend recently gave me the idea to look online for forums to discuss problems, and hopefully meet people in the same situation as I am.

I just want to know about your stories and how you're coping with life with bipolar, and see if I could get any advice and tips from you guys, just on how to deal with some of the things in life.

Please tell me about yourselves and how you're managing to cope in life with a stressful disorder - i know how tough it can be!

x

jax

jax

Hi TB. I currently am in hospital. I have been in for 10 weeks. I have been told my illness is tough to treat and extreme. I mostly have been high or manic. Rarely suffering the depressions - but for a day or two. When I have had the depressions - they have been pure hell. I seem to have been brought down and almost stable. I have been so unwell for 4 years and so high most of the time - that I was drained. It will be nice to be stable or at least -night high.
Jacqui
:welcome:

F

flamehairedlunatic

Hi,

I was diagnosed at the start of the year after having a Borderline Personality Disorder diagnosis for about 5 years. I suffer mainly with the depressions but my highs can be dangerous - I crashed my car in the last one in June.

I was hospitalised earlier this year and have been on a cocktail of meds but nothing seems to be working quite yet so am about to start lithium. I'm scared of the idea of lithium but also hoping it'll be the wonder drug at the same time.

Ruby Tuesday

Ruby Tuesday

Hi All,

Yeah I agree, bipolar is a nightmare to deal with on a daily basis. I too have tried various anti-psych meds, most have either not had much effect and others have made me quite manic. I am two weeks into Lithium and am glad to report not really had many ill-effects from it apart from some headaches. My moods seem to be fairly stable at the moment but, I know from past experience that they can change in a flash, so I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I will be ok.

Lucklily I have a good, supportive family behind me plus great friends which helps a lot. They understand when I need company, but also don't mind when i need to be left alone.

This forum has really helped too. You realise that you're not alone and there are other people out there who are suffering the same symptoms as you and will support you as much as possible.

:tea: