• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar Depression

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

I am being treated for Bipolar depression.My symptoms are lethargy, social anxiety, withdrawal, and extremes of mood which can lead me to be randomly violent, (I feel compelled to break objects) I have been in trouble with the police because of it, this makes me feel really sad as I was always well behaved in my youth.I believe I got here as a result of simply a chemical inbalance in the brain (Serotonin - I take antideppressants Dosulepin Hydrochloride 75mg) and life events, bereavement, unemployment, social isolation. I also take a mood stabiliser called Tegretol which helps to a degree, but I have found my body has got used to it.Would I benefit from taking another mood stabiliser instead, perhaps Lithium, is anyone out there on this med? I believe my behaviour is bordering "Psychotic" as opposed to "neurotic".When is this line crossed?
What is the significance of Dopamine in mental illness? would I benefit from taking Olanzapine or Chlorpromazine hydrochloride?

S

suzy

psychotic is when you are not aware, so by thinking you are psychotic you are probably not. It is when your behaviour is out of control, you don't know what you are doing or thinking is psychotic. I am on lithium and I still get bipolar downs, I also take a tiny amount of olanzopine which is meant to take the edge off anxiety. Have a talk with your medical team if you want to change medication, just be aware it may not solve everything. I wish there was a drug for me which would stop the downs

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

Thanks for your reply Suzy, It means a lot to me to know there are other "nutters" out there.I do have to change my behaviour as I am fed up of being arrested by the damn Police who have little sympathy.I was told I could get help by Cognitive Behavioural Therapy or CBT, but there is a waiting list apparently.It seems wrong to me that the criminal justice system picks me up with efficiency whilst I am waiting for CBT.

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

Apparently I believe You can take Olanzapine for Schizophrenia and/or Bipolar disorder.As I experience Schizoid and Bipolar symptoms, it may be the drug for me also, although my antideppressants are of the old tricyclic class I think they are quite good.

emski

emski

Be mindful of weight gain with olanzapine kurt. I like your name by the way. I idolised kurt cobain as a teenager, and I cried for 3 days when he passed on

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

Bipolar.

I believe the biggest triggers for my Bipolar are bereavement and life experiences, mainly unemployment and financial woes etc. Lets face it life can SUCK at times.What's important is to find an OUTPUT for all your creativity and mania.It's important to get help though.There's a lot of IGNORANCE and lack of EMPATHY for mental health problems in the general populous.

kurtcobain

kurtcobain

Hi there.

More importantly, when do you think it's crossed?

:)
I think anyone who repeatedly acts in an aggressive manner, displays neglect for their own or others safety, or potentially could hurt another individual through their actions.If this is the case then I should have been SECTIONED a long time ago and pumped full of anti-psychotics.I am RECKLESS, extremely angry at society and myself, have ZERO self esteem.But in UK there is a policy of keeping us in the community, plus I bet my local mental health clinic is full up.Because this town really SUCKS!!!

A

Affective

What is the significance of Dopamine in mental illness?
?
I'm too educated on Dopamine. However I do know that it can cause hallucinations and delusions. It can cause low motivation if you don't have enough of it or if you have too much you can be very motivated.

N

neena

I am being treated for Bipolar depression.My symptoms are lethargy, social anxiety, withdrawal, and extremes of mood which can lead me to be randomly violent, (I feel compelled to break objects) I have been in trouble with the police because of it, this makes me feel really sad as I was always well behaved in my youth.I believe I got here as a result of simply a chemical unbalance in the brain (Serotonin - I take antidepressants Dosulepin Hydrochloride Mg) and life events, bereavement, unemployment, social isolation. I also take a mood stabilizer called Tegretol which helps to a degree, but I have found my body has got used to it.Would I benefit from taking another mood stabilizer instead, perhaps Lithium, is anyone out there on this med? I believe my behavior is bordering "Psychotic" as opposed to "neurotic".When is this line crossed?
What is the significance of Dopamine in mental illness? would I benefit from taking Olanzapine or Chlorpromazine hydrochloride?
I am also bipolar and I am taking Pristiq(it's a new antidepressant) and I feel better all the way around than I have for years!! I also take Lamictal(a mood stabilizer) and Seroquel(nighttime med that helps me sleep) You should try to stay away from Lithium it is extremely hard on the body and if taken longterm will eventually stop working all together. You should ask your Psychiatrist about some of the were alternatives e.g. Lamictal-I started out on depakote which worked well but I HAD SOME BAD SIDE EFFECTS. i VIRTUALLY HAVE NO SIDE EFFECTS FROM LAMICTAL AND i DON;T THINK i AM GOING TO HAVE ANY FROM Pristiq. what ever you do be sure to try a drug change when you know you can be home and have some time off work. be sure and talk to your doc about sleep, good sleep is ABSOLUTELY VITAL for a bipolar, without it your moods will run rampant!!! I KNOW I'VE BEEN THERE!! you don't sleep,you get manic,you get manic,you don't sleep.......over and over....
But don't give up there are a lot of meds out there and you WILL eventually find the right mix!!
bless you
neena

S

Sandy

Healthy Supplements that are beneficial to reducing Bipolar Symptoms:
High Strength Cod liver oil
Selenium
Multi-vitamin supplements
Herbal (Ecinachea) please consult your doctor before taking this herb. It comes in powdered capsules or can be drunk as tea.
B-Vitamins

They all help with anxiety and lifts the mood.

Take consistently according to recommended dosage on the container and start to see the effects from about 4weeks on...It doesn't cure Bipolar but does help you to manage it more effectively...

W

warriorprincess

where do you live this sounds like my town!! I swear that's a percentage of my problems or they at least all stem from this shitty no where land