• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Bipolar Confusion

GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar since a very young age, however I find myself lost and constantly feeling like I don't understand anything about what I experience.

If someone asked me what type of Bipolar I have I would not be able to answer and it's frustrating because when I try to talk to my therapist or doctors about it I am left more confused. I only recently found out that irritability can be part of my manic episodes, and I am 29.

My manic episodes don't last as long as whats common (from what I have researched,) which just confuses and frustrates me more.

Does anyone else feel as lost as I do?

A

Another Maniac

We're all just meandering our way through life, I think. We can all become a little lost on the way. And that's okay. You don't need to have all of the answers and know everything about your disorder. Diagnosis of mental health disorders is a bit of a funny thing as the DSM-5 keeps changing, so it is a bit ambiguous. The internet has loads of information and it seems you're already researching which is good... but don't get bogged down with not fitting exactly to what's described. Everyone's experience is different.

I'm less loss than I was when I was first diagnosed a couple years ago. Back then I was so confused about why I got this disorder. Sure I had some trauma in my life but I thought I was handling things okay. It felt like I was completely okay until suddenly I wasn't and then I was in hospital.

GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd

We're all just meandering our way through life, I think. We can all become a little lost on the way. And that's okay. You don't need to have all of the answers and know everything about your disorder. Diagnosis of mental health disorders is a bit of a funny thing as the DSM-5 keeps changing, so it is a bit ambiguous. The internet has loads of information and it seems you're already researching which is good... but don't get bogged down with not fitting exactly to what's described. Everyone's experience is different.

I'm less loss than I was when I was first diagnosed a couple years ago. Back then I was so confused about why I got this disorder. Sure I had some trauma in my life but I thought I was handling things okay. It felt like I was completely okay until suddenly I wasn't and then I was in hospital.
You're right.. I really struggle with not understanding something, and the idea of being in the dark (understanding wise) causes me a LOT of anxiety. It's one of my main triggers for that, but my therapist is strong on the stance that the diagnosis shouldn't be the focus but rather the coping skills etc... So I'm trying. But not having control of a situation really stresses me out and I think thats why my confusion and lack of understanding regarding my bipolar is so rough on me.

I really appreciate your response. Having someone else's take on it is helpful. And, I am sorry to hear things have been rough for you.

K

Kittylove

I completely understand what it's like to go through emotions that are overwhelming. Not really knowing or being unsure what Is happening or why. I guess we just kind of go through life experiencing and learning.
Also sorry you feel frustrated.

GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd

I completely understand what it's like to go through emotions that are overwhelming. Not really knowing or being unsure what Is happening or why. I guess we just kind of go through life experiencing and learning.
Also sorry you feel frustrated.
Yeah, you're right. Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post. :)

A

Another Maniac

You're right.. I really struggle with not understanding something, and the idea of being in the dark (understanding wise) causes me a LOT of anxiety. It's one of my main triggers for that, but my therapist is strong on the stance that the diagnosis shouldn't be the focus but rather the coping skills etc... So I'm trying. But not having control of a situation really stresses me out and I think thats why my confusion and lack of understanding regarding my bipolar is so rough on me.

I really appreciate your response. Having someone else's take on it is helpful. And, I am sorry to hear things have been rough for you.
I'm the same. When I was first diagnosed I asked for information for all of my medication and did so much research online. I even asked for copies of my progress notes and read through them.

It's hard living with something you don't quite understand especially when it's part of you. Despite this, I believe that you can still take control. I guess it just takes some getting used to and some perspective.

Anytime :) I'm always happy to give my two cents. And I'm okay now, on the mend.

GuitarKidd

GuitarKidd

I'm the same. When I was first diagnosed I asked for information for all of my medication and did so much research online. I even asked for copies of my progress notes and read through them.

It's hard living with something you don't quite understand especially when it's part of you. Despite this, I believe that you can still take control. I guess it just takes some getting used to and some perspective.

Anytime :) I'm always happy to give my two cents. And I'm okay now, on the mend.
It's nice to know I am not alone, sometimes. haha.

I am happy to hear things are going better for you~.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Bipolar Forum 1
B Bipolar Forum 11
HLon99 Bipolar Forum 2
B Bipolar Forum 5
Jess96 Bipolar Forum 14