• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar/boarderline personality disorder

P

Porche911

I felt like I have suffered 'manic' spells on and off for years. I never felt like I had suffered depression and anxiety. After years of trailing antidepressants eventually after attending IAPT they suggested I was to be referred to community health team. After waiting 7 months I see a mental health nurse who explained alot of things I never understood and I generally found it helpful. I do suffer with anxiety and depression but my coping mechanisms actually mask the symptoms. My symptoms are not the 'NORM'..... still not got a clue weather I have bipolar or boarderline personality disorder. I'm current in day 3 of a manic spell I have no appetite, my impulsive behaviour is back with a vengeance and I have lived off 3 hours sleep over 2 days and I still dont feel tired. I feel as tho I'm living In a whirl wind and everything is really fast! Today I've got some help from a doctor to aid sleep. Does anyone else have similar symptoms? I cant complete basic tasks and I feel so irritated 😫

calypso

calypso

Admin
:welcome: to the forum. I am diagnosed bipolar and get episodes like that. No-one can diagnose on a forum obviously, and I have to ask if you have received a diagnosis yet? BPD and bipolar are quite different - and don't let any MH person tell you differently.

I used to get irritated that people couldn't follow what I was saying and I would speak so fast no-one could follow me. But it made sense to me...I would ask though how long have you been on Anti depressants as they can send people who are sensitive high too which is why if you are bipolar (I'm not saying you are) that you need a mood stabiliser to counter that effect.

P

Porche911

I've tried 3 different ones over the last 12 years the latest one is ment to have a sleepiness side effect to no avail. I'm not like this all the time this is only my third ever bount of 'mania' it's such a lonely place when the world is dead and I'm here wanting to move mountins. I normally sleep 5-6 hours and can still go about my life as normal. I'm awaiting to see a phyc for diagnostic appointment. So still non of the wiser between the two! This phase has come from no where and smacked me in the face. The MHN has recommended I'm given an antipsychotic once the phyc has seen me but again another 7 months away. The docs said I can take a benzo style tablet in the day but I have three children that go to school miles away.

Thing i struggle with most in the depressive side becuase to me 'I'm just normal' in that been like super agitated/over defensive/really low energy and I think the worlds against me.

Typical impulsive behaviours in past are buying a 9000 grand car which I didnt need. Moved house within 3 days gambled every penny I owned and also set up a business on a whim then of course it all comes crashing down.

This rollercoaster sucks!

Any tips for coping with mania

P

Porche911

Thank you great to have somewhere like minded people are

N

Nukelavee

That doesn't sound like BPD at all, honestly. BPD mood swings, when they happen, tend to be rapid, like, multiple times a day.

P

Porche911

Bpd meaning boarderline personality disorder?

The manic up I have have lasted 10 and 14 days

N

Nukelavee

Yup - BPD is borderline personality disorder.

And, yeah, manic phases that long don't sound anything like BPD, to me.