• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar application on iPhone

A

Affective

Has anyone else seen the Bipolar bear on the iPhone? You can also get a small mental health information thing as an application.

This is the description:
The Bipolar Bear is a lighthearted application designed to raise awareness that mental health challenges exist.The app is a randomized series of non sequitur one liners spoken by the apps only character: the Bipolar Bear. Comments made by the Bipolar Bear are sometimes upbeat and cheerful but sometimes frustrated and paranoid. At no time does the bear say anything vulgar. All the lines are meant to be funny, and most of them come pretty close.We hope the app can be meaningful and will have a positive impact on the world population. Our goal is to harness the multiplier of comedic viral marketing.Visit our site to see what organizations we're currently partnering with.Bipolar disorder impacts the lives of millions of people, and we are truly sympathetic to the needs and struggles of the individuals and families impacted by this condition.This application should be met with an understanding of our positive intentions and be seen in the light it is intended. In no way do we wish to mock or belittle the challenges created by any mental health disorder, but instead to recognize it and help experts to develop better tools for overcoming these challenges. We meet these challenges with a sense of levity and a desire to help create change.Meet the Bipolar Bear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

How odd!!!

I have an iPhone (funnily enough a manic buy!) I might download the app and see what it's about :unsure:

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I've downloaded it (59p, what a scandal!) and it's really weird... basically it's a polar bear's face in the middle of your screen and every so often it'll say something and depending on it's "mood" the background will go blue (happy) or brown (sad).

E.g. "I like apples", "I like pancakes & I make my own maple syrup", "I feel like dancing", "Laughter really is the best medicine", "Did you know the Milky way taste like raspberries" and "That idea you had was brilliant" are some examples of Bipolar bear's 'happy state'

"You're not special", "I'm so lonely, it hurts", "I think this is a pointless application", "My mom forgot my birthday... again", "Do you think Mark has a drinking problem" and "I'm not sure I can forgive you" are some examples of his 'sad' state

Honestly, it's just really random!!

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

I've downloaded it (59p, what a scandal!) and it's really weird... basically it's a polar bear's face in the middle of your screen and every so often it'll say something and depending on it's "mood" the background will go blue (happy) or brown (sad).

E.g. "I like apples", "I like pancakes & I make my own maple syrup", "I feel like dancing", "Laughter really is the best medicine", "Did you know the Milky way taste like raspberries" and "That idea you had was brilliant" are some examples of Bipolar bear's 'happy state'

"You're not special", "I'm so lonely, it hurts", "I think this is a pointless application", "My mom forgot my birthday... again", "Do you think Mark has a drinking problem" and "I'm not sure I can forgive you" are some examples of his 'sad' state

I know I shouldn't but; lmao:LOL:

A

Affective

I was going to download it but since you explained Apple aren't getting my 60p :p

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

It's the worst 59p I ever spent haha, but it's good for a laugh lol. Some of the 'happy' state ones are totally random :p
I'd feel better if the 59p went to charity haha

S

Scott BPBear

... it's good for a laugh lol. Some of the 'happy' state ones are totally random :p
I'd feel better if the 59p went to charity haha
Here's the good news: The money does go to charity.

My name is Scott, and I'm one of the creators of the app. I hope this doesn't come across as an add or spam, but as a direct response to this discussion and respect for the community.

We actually created the app so that we could give the money to charity. If you go this link: http://mybpbear.com/about/ you will see what I mean. 30% of proceeds go to charity (Apple takes 30% out first, the rest goes to paying us back for expenses and funding the next charity app we have planned). We also set it up so that the customers get to decide which mental health charity gets the money.

I'm glad you guys have said the bear is funny, we had a lot of fun coming up with his lines. We want to create a place for people to suggest what bipolar bear 2.0 will say. That's coming soon.

For now, please tell your friends about the site and the charities they can vote for and donate to, and (if you feel so inclined) give us a good review and rating in the app store so we can get the word out to more people. You can even hear a few samples of what the BiPolar Bear says on the site before they buy it for your iPhone/iTouch/iPad/etc.

This is a fun little thing, and we hope to use this platform to raise money and awareness for the organizations doing the good work to help people improve their quality of life.

I'm happy to respond to questions, feedback, etc. about the bear here or you can contact me privately at the site via email.

Thanks for noticing!
-Scott

R

rasselas

or you could just donate 60p direct to a charity of your choice.

here's some suggested phrases for bipolar bear 2.0:

polar bears are becoming extinct... and they sign me up for a bipolar app...

you are a tit - this does not make you interesting - leave these poor people alone - no one is impressed or amused... go away!

will you be doing schizo bear? how about cancer bear? how about malaria bear? AIDS bear? ebola bear? how about bereavement bear? self harming bear?

or would that be trite and tasteless?

Last edited:
iffybob

iffybob

Telling jokes...

I hear people would pay me not to strip bear.... :rofl2:

...boB .. ( who would not get a job as a comic... ) ... (y)

S

Scott BPBear

Hi Mark,

I agree that people donating directly to the charity is best (though hopefully it's more than 60p when you donate directly to a worthy cause). I think you are (understandably) misunderstanding our intention in the creation of the app, and the place from which we are coming. I hope I can explain where we are coming from and express within that our sincerity in helping.

Our goal isn't to mock anyone or to make ourselves feel cool. Our goal from the beginning has been to actually help. I work with people with mental and emotional issues professionally, and the other two people involved in the app have had family members struggle with bipolar disorder. This is not a point and laugh situation. We do think, though, that a bit of humor isn't always a bad thing.

We think this app can be a conversation starter, a lighthearted way to get people to start donating to a worthy cause and to find places to donate to or get involved with. Our target market isn't people who are already educated and familiar with BPD, like members of this forum.

Since you asked about our next project, I can say we have two future projects planned, though neither is going to be an iphone app, nor is either intended to be lighthearted or funny. Seeing as how you don't think the premise of this project is funny either, it won't be too different in that respect for you.

Again, we encourage people on our site and within the app to give directly to the charities themselves, which is why we include links and brief summaries of multiple organizations on our site:

I hope this helped make things more clear.

Respectfully,
Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
R

rasselas

Hi Scott

I agree that people donating directly to the charity is best (though hopefully it's more than 60p when you donate directly to a worthy cause).
Or the 20p you're offering after you and iTunes have collared your cut.

I think you are (understandably) misunderstanding our intention in the creation of the app, and the place from which we are coming.
Understandably misunderstanding? You mean, I am understanding.

We think this app can be a conversation starter, a lighthearted way to get people to start donating to a worthy cause and to find places to donate to or get involved with. Our target market isn't people who are already educated and familiar with BPD, like members of this forum.
No. You are trivialising a serious mental condition.

You disagree with me. This is because you have conducted some pretty impressive research about the app, prior to launching it. Okay, maybe it wasn't research, maybe it was just a hunch, maybe it was just the fact that you

work with people with mental and emotional issues professionally, and the other two people involved in the app have had family members struggle with bipolar disorder.
Well, there you go then. That's about as much confirmation anyone might need. Because you THINK this isn't tacky, because you THINK this isn't demeaning - it can't be. So, I wonder then how your animated teddy bear will raise awareness?

We think this app can be a conversation starter
Okay, you THINK it can be a conversation starter. How? Where? With whom? When?

- What's that?
- It's a teddy bear on my phone.
- What does it do?
- It says random phrases, some are happy, some are sad, some are weird and paranoid.
- Like a Christian app?
- No. Not a Christian app.
- What then?
- Ah, it's a bear that represents raising awareness for bipolar disorder.
- Ok.
- Yes, by having the bear make these random statements we get to see that bipolar people are like annoying phone applications.
- Ok.
- Yes. We get to see that they are a pain in the arse and need shutting up. We raise awareness about how annoyinbg people with bipolar disorder are.
- Yes, it is annoying, isn't it. So why don't we have a human talking on the phone?
- Ah, because the reality of bipolar is too human.
- So when the bear gets annoying, what will you do?
- I'll probably delete it and download that fart app again.
- Cool.

You need to work harder at pretending to be a corporate lawyer. However, I enjoyed your dialogue and wish you the best of luck in your next ventures exploiting illness for financial gain. I think childhood leukaemia is currently an open market for phone apps...

Last edited:
iffybob

iffybob

Story time...

My vote is for a new set of Mr Men type books ...(y)

Hey there are at lest a dozen books right there...., do you think parents will by them for the little kiddies.....

... I'm bord , cant you tell, I realy should unsubscribe this thread...

... actualy I have not seen the bear ... does it were a hat ...

... ok, ... I'm going ....boB .... ;)

S

Scott BPBear

Hi Mark-

I'm not going to play the game where we keep quoting each other and responding to each line back and forth because it gets tedious for everyone, though I appreciate your response to my points.

If you check the app store, you will see that we don't advertise it as charity. We don't say in the store "buy this to contribute to..." etc. We don't have to donate to anything, we are choosing to. We aren't even close to financially breaking even on the development costs yet, and that's fine with us. If we ever end up making money off this, that will also be fine with us.

Understandably misunderstanding does not mean understanding. If I wrote a very complex physics equation or a reference to a funny movie quote here, it would be predictable that some people wouldn't 'get' it. You seem articulate enough to know that, though it also seems like you have a habit of mistaking my intentions.

Tacky is a very subjective thing. Just because you think something is tacky, doesn't mean it is. Lot's of people don't appreciate certain forms of comedy, but that doesn't invalidate them. You are offended by our concept without judging it by it's contextual merit. I'm not encouraging you to purchase the app and make an informed decision, I'm encouraging you to lighten up.

And as for the script you wrote, I thought it was pretty good. I also think you get to ask questions or answer them, but if you do both it's no longer a conversation, just a masturbatory sales pitch.

For Example:

(two guys working in an office, the app says something funny)

Guy 1- what was that?
Guy 2- oh, that was my iphone app
Guy 1- it just says random things?
Guy 2- Yeah, it's an app called the bipolar bear. look
Guy 1- He's kinda funny, why is it a polar bear?
Guy 2- because of the obvious pun and because one of the creators refused to use a panda because he's a racist.
(bear says something else, both guys laugh)
Guy 1- that's awesome, I want it. Is it free?
Guy 2- No it's a buck, but some of the money goes to charity.
(stunningly beautiful girl walks in)
Girl- Did someone say charity? I love philanthropy.
Guy 2- Yeah, my iphone app gives to charity. Look, you just click on this button here on the app and it gives you a list of different charities and links to their sites to donate to them.
Guy 1- and it's funny.
(bear says something even funnier, everyone laughs)
Girl- What a wonderful use of technology. I bet the people who made this are incredibly attractive.
Guy 2- You're probably right. I bet they're even better looking than corporate lawyers.
Everyone- I'm more motivated to work harder than ever before and give back to my community through global and local outreach programs. What a glorious and sun-shiny day. Thank you Bi-Polar Bear!

(camera pans out to reveal all three work at a wonderful organization that you highly respect.)

We can keep going back and forth with our versions of what is good and bad about the app, which would be remarkably unproductive for both of us. I'm not going to change your mind, and you aren't changing mine. I'm not trying to mock any group of people, though I'm becoming increasingly willing to mock you.

My goal in life isn't to try to offend people, but it also isn't to make sure I never offend anyone. I do hope the application starts better conversations than this one and I hope that it can make some people smile.

And last but not least, I hope being upset on the internet is more productive or effective for you somewhere else.

Fondly,
Scott

ps- I'm still very happy to talk to people about the app, our intentions behind it, goals for it, and if we are going to hell for creating it.

R

rasselas

Hi again (?) Scott

I'm not going to play the game where we keep quoting each other and responding to each line back and forth because it gets tedious for everyone, though I appreciate your response to my points.
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

If you check the app store, you will see that we don't advertise it as charity. We don't say in the store "buy this to contribute to..." etc. We don't have to donate to anything, we are choosing to. We aren't even close to financially breaking even on the development costs yet, and that's fine with us. If we ever end up making money off this, that will also be fine with us.
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. You really don't have to go to all this trouble.

Understandably misunderstanding does not mean understanding.
Ok. Take a hold of my hand as I guide you through this. Yes, you can pretend to be the teddybear. When you said I was '(understandably) misunderstanding' I corrected you. I asserted that I was not so much understandably misunderstanding, I was understanding. I was going to leave it at that. But as you feel it necessary to raise it again, I'll ask you now. Why do you think it was understandable that (to your mind) I would misunderstand your motives? To my mind your previous 'smile-through-grimace' post, and your now somewhat (dare I say it) simmering reply - together reinforce my original point - you are a pushing exploitative pap oops app!

If I wrote a very complex physics equation or a reference to a funny movie quote here, it would be predictable that some people wouldn't 'get' it. You seem articulate enough to know that, though it also seems like you have a habit of mistaking my intentions.
I'm sorry can you say that again?

Tacky is a very subjective thing.
That's right.

Just because you think something is tacky, doesn't mean it is.
A clever reworking of my phrase there. You have clearly been reading your own mind control hypnosis forums very closely.

Lot's of people don't appreciate certain forms of comedy, but that doesn't invalidate them.
Trust me - you are validating your comedy here.

You are offended by our concept without judging it by it's contextual merit.
You mean, if I don't buy it I can't judge it? Sir, if you offered me a DVD entitled, "How to Speed-hypnotise a UFO Abductee" I would judge it in less than a second and I would definitely not buy it. If people applied your maxim, we'd all be bankrupt within a month.

I'm not encouraging you to purchase the app and make an informed decision, I'm encouraging you to lighten up.
If only you could see my wry smile...

And as for the script you wrote, I thought it was pretty good. I also think you get to ask questions or answer them, but if you do both it's no longer a conversation, just a masturbatory sales pitch.
Yes it was rather good, I agree. Yours wasn't too bad either - made me chuckle!

We can keep going back and forth with our versions of what is good and bad about the app, which would be remarkably unproductive for both of us.
I enjoy banging this out. It's like therapy to me.

I'm not going to change your mind, and you aren't changing mine. I'm not trying to mock any group of people, though I'm becoming increasingly willing to mock you.
I say! Steady on there chap!:welcome:

My goal in life isn't to try to offend people, but it also isn't to make sure I never offend anyone. I do hope the application starts better conversations than this one and I hope that it can make some people smile.
Would it be cynical of me to think you are now actually attempting to exploit this conversation for the beneficial effects of controversy on this forum? So that someone might read this and think I'll go there and buy that app and I'll see what all the fuss is about? Would you really be that cunning, that bold?

And last but not least, I hope being upset on the internet is more productive or effective for you somewhere else.
It beats fingering the bipolar bear app all night long!

Last edited:
A

Apotheosis

Can we have a 'Schizophrenic toad app' please; (a really nasty ugly horned toad), & it's talking point is that it thinks Aliens are landing; & argues with people; & says that meds are bad; with little fairies coming onto the screen & injecting it every so often.

& if Schizo toad gets ignored can we have it that he shouts at you from the phone that he's going to stab you. It would be a good talking point; an ice breaker to get the conversation going in the doctors waiting room, ect.

Last edited: