• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar and struggling

J

Jormumgandr

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit at a loss on how to proceed here having never participated in a forum.

I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 and/or schizoaffective disorders almost two years ago. This was due to a manic episode that lead to involuntary hospitalization and medication. Given the nature of my delusions at the time it was almost impossible to get treatment as an inpatient as I quite quickly became convinced that that I had broken the world by entering this state and that evil and divine entities where working through or controlling the people around me to keep me from being free, or trying to help me fix the broken universe.

Over time, after leaving, the hospital I began to be more forthcoming with my psychiatrist about my experiences but resistant to staying on medications as everything I was given had fairly bad side side effects that were often dismissed outright by Dr's as a heightened state of anxiety. At the time I was still manic and felt not the least bit anxious so I stopped medication outright for a few months without problem. But I also started a new job in that period which was quite stressful and lead to a panic attack and cognitive problems. I was convinced at this time give medication a serious effort. and have stuck with it for the past year. The panic attacks subsided after a while on the meds, but my cognitive problems remained and continued to get worse. I've recently been given a tentative diagnosis of severe sleep apnea that has sent me into a tailspin. I don't know whether the meds caused this or it is a long held condition. But I feel a severe lack of trust in the medical system to address it properly.

This may be to much for an introduction. But it felt necessary to explain why I'm here.

N

Nukelavee

It's not too long for an intro.

I'm glad you're giving your meds a chance, and they have helped a little.

Sleep apnea isn't really psychological, you should talk to a doctor, a regular type, about it. I've linked an explanation of what sleep apnea is, and it's causes.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Hi, welcome to the forums. It sounds like you have been through a lot and we are glad that you found us. I am diagnosed bipolar1 too so possibly we can relate on some things. Hope you enjoy your time here. xo, j :grouphug:

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Love from me and prob everyone else. This is the place to talk. The members here are all really understanding. Xx

J

Jormumgandr

Thank you all!

I am going to the doctor today for sleep apnea. My concern with it is I feel that my mental and physical health issues are related and the anti-psychotics that worked best for me are contributing to it. There is so much information online about side effects for these drugs that I feel somewhat biased toward the negative stories than the positive ones. I'm also not a great advocate for myself at Doctors visits. I often find myself spacing out and losing my train of thought when communicating in person. I am trying to be hopeful that I will make forward progress. But its hard when all efforts seem geared towards mitigating a manic episode to the detriment of all else. Maybe a regular doctor will be more able to understand my concerns better though. Fingers crossed.