Bipolar and Relationships

S

Shisimona

Good Day everyone. I was diagnosed 13 years ago today with Bipolar I and II or as the doctor called Mixed. I was 20 and now 33. My symptoms were extreme. I was hospitalized for a year due to the extreme symptoms I had. For the first little while, the meds had very little effect on me. The dosage of my meds were changing every 2 weeks. After 6 weeks, things were starting to get stable. At 3 months, the meds and dosages was starting help a lot. Then 6 months, I was 100% stable and on meds and the dosages that kept me that way. But they wanted to keep me in longer due to the extreme symptoms I had. So, after another 6 months past, I was finally released and got to home.

It was a extreme tough year but I managed. But what I didn't realize, how hard it was going to be to get back into society. As I lived in a small town, so word gets around fast. I had next to no friends left, people would ignore me, put me down, etc. It was very emotionally and physically exhausting for me. And I could feel myself slipping back in the dark place I didn't want to be again. I started going to therapy, 3-4 times a week, for about a year. Then 2 times for another year and now 2 times a month. Things started to get easier. Started to enjoy life again.

But one thing that was never easy nor be able to get into, is a relationship. As I said, I lived in a small town, so word goes around fast. I could never get a girlfriend. The only women that would talk to me was my mom, cousins, aunt, and co-workers at whatever work place I was at. If I tried to approach, a woman i'd get instantly rejected. This was something very difficult to deal with but I tried my best to be positive. Which was hard to do at the time. Even with meds.

So that brings to the present. I have moved to different cities to live. Even today, I still get rejected by every woman. I do mention that I am Bipolar due for their safety. Maybe it's a bad idea. I'm not sure.

So, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions that could help me out with this issue. It almost seems like I was meant to be single forever but I don't want to think that.

Poopy Doll

Poopy Doll

Hi Shisimona, :welcome: to the Forum. When I met my bf I did NOT tell him I had bipolar nor did I tell him I had lupus. I let him get to know me and get a little attached to me before telling him my medical issues. We are together now 25 years.

B

Barn Owl

Hi Shisimona Apart from having a strange name on here you are no different from anyone else there are No perfect people in the world unless you believe in Angels.When l met my wife of now 40 years married and two children a boy and girl who is living in Australia I was not diagnosed bipolar then just with depression I was married20 years before my correct diagnosis of bipolar1 was made. What I am saying no one noticed my bipolar condition for 20 years so do not worry so much You are be.tter than you think you are

megirl

megirl

Its actually quite sad. It seems ok to mention depression or anxiety to people. Then when bipolar is mentioned then I have people who have said ..so you are bipolar? No I have bipolar disorder it isn't who I am. People are so quick to judge what they actually don't know anything about