• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bipolar and pregnant.... Work life anxiety??

R

Ricey01

Hi

New to this site.

I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant and found out about 3 weeks ago.
I'm off all my medication... Have had support from psychiatrist but now been moved to a new department and waiting for an appointment.

I feel very very anxious... Even things I know I don't need to be anxious about and I know it's an overreaction but I can't help it.
Work seems to be a huge deal for me atm... To the point I can't face going in. I don't know what to do because I'm OK when I'm in a 'safe' space or with 'safe' people but other times the anxiety is bad. My boss is my friend but he is also not particularly understanding and I feel like I'm just messing him around.
Obviously I can't be off work for my whole pregnancy but not sure what to do atm... Dr said I could take one medication 'if needed' but also said that he couldn't gaurwntee this wouldn't harm baby as not enough testing. This has caused even more anxiety because if I take it I'm convinced it will do damage and I literally can't cope with the guilt of that.

I know I can't be the only person to feel like this but can't find any advice or similar posts anywhere... Any suggestions how I can move forward / calm myself down and get to work??

Thanks

R

Ricey01

Just 8 weeks
Had a reassurance scan yesterday... All good so far

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hiya x why can't you be off work for you whole pregnancy? if you are struggling and need to be maybe you should consider it and going on benefits
if you find work helpful that is one thing but if you are really struggling you have to put yourself and unborn baby first
people do manage on benefits ,i do
and as for medication ,im not sure what you are taking but my sister stayed on her medication while pregnant
this is something you really need to discuss with your doctor is you are stressing about it
hope you find the forum useful and i hope you will stay here so we can help x Lu x

C

CabbageMama

Congratulation, Ricey. Why don’t you take a few weeks to find your feet, try and manage the anxiety a little better. Take things from there.

R

Ricey01

I've literally just bought a house... Only been with baby's dad for a few months... I thrive on working... Usually.

I think I'm so so scared of pregnancy not continuing and if that happens and I've stopped going to work and stuff then what do I have?

Also my employers are not understanding so I feel I would have to really fight to get them to listen to me.

If I went on sick then I would only get ssp which is less than £100 a week (my company does not pay sick pay at all) . And my maternity pay would be really low too if I have time off now too.

SoftRain

SoftRain

I've literally just bought a house... Only been with baby's dad for a few months... I thrive on working... Usually.

I think I'm so so scared of pregnancy not continuing and if that happens and I've stopped going to work and stuff then what do I have?

Also my employers are not understanding so I feel I would have to really fight to get them to listen to me.

If I went on sick then I would only get ssp which is less than £100 a week (my company does not pay sick pay at all) . And my maternity pay would be really low too if I have time off now too.
Money is not everything. Think of you and your baby's well being.

R

Ricey01

I literally wouldn't have enough to pay my mortgage and feed myself on £400 a month.
I don't have expensive things or expensive tastes but I couldn't live off £400

SoftRain

SoftRain

I literally wouldn't have enough to pay my mortgage and feed myself on £400 a month.
I don't have expensive things or expensive tastes but I couldn't live off £400
Then you have to work. You will find a way.

C

CabbageMama

What job do you do? Could it be adapted for you in some way to make things more doable?

Wishbone

Wishbone

Is it a 'bipolar medication' you want to stay with, if safe, or just an anxiety med?