Bipolar and needing an ear

L

lula46

I am a 46 yr old mother of 2 teenage boys, married 23 years struggling with my Bipolar disorder because I am unemployed actively searching and have too much time to be anxious. I am not manic and don't think I am depressed, I take meds and have a great caregiver in my husband, but I need an additional support system. I am not the person I was before I had my two breakdowns and being unemployed has really hit me hard. My confidence is shaken and personality is almost "flat" now, I hate it. I want the old Lula back and need someplace to share my struggles and get feedback and give feedback to others like me.

Hellakat

Hellakat

Hi Lula, I can relate. I too have bipolar I to be specific. I think it’s great that you have the support from your husband and it’s perfectly okay to need/want additional support. The fact that you’re even aware speaks volumes. I can relate to the unemployment and shaken confidence but believe me it’s going to be okay and being positive and open as you’re doing only helps. You have great insight and that’s always an advantage. I like you am not to great with having to much time on my hand when dealing with my overwhelming anxiety hence one of the reasons why I decided to join. I’m here for you if needed.

L

lula46

Hi Lula, I can relate. I too have bipolar I to be specific. I think it’s great that you have the support from your husband and it’s perfectly okay to need/want additional support. The fact that you’re even aware speaks volumes. I can relate to the unemployment and shaken confidence but believe me it’s going to be okay and being positive and open as you’re doing only helps. You have great insight and that’s always an advantage. I like you am not to great with having to much time on my hand when dealing with my overwhelming anxiety hence one of the reasons why I decided to join. I’m here for you if needed.

Thanks, I am blessed with a great husband! And just know that I need to be able to talk with others that like me struggle with bipolar. I am here for you as well, if you need an ear.

L

lula46

What do you do when you have a lot of time on your hands and are anxious? I used to be an avid reader, but at times I can't focus enough to read, and at times even tv just isn't enough to help pass the time.

Hellakat

Hellakat

I hear you. That’s a good question. Unfortunately I don’t have a good answer because for one as you already stated when the anxiety alone hits I can barely function now take that and add in the fact that because of the bipolar I have a hard time concentrating on anything really mind you this is my life “stable” on the meds. I do have to admit I’m prescribed medicinal marijuana for back pain but it does help with my anxiety in the sense where I don’t feel like I’m going to jump out of my skin and sometimes it makes me sleepy where I would take a nap and that helps. Other than that I try to channel that energy into things that don’t require attention to detail like cleaning or doing laundry and sometimes that doesn’t even work. Calling a friend and engaging in conversation works but the problem is finding someone who isn’t working or otherwise busy which isn’t always practical. Sorry I couldn’t be more of assistance.

P

Pigsyjug

Mate we are all here to support you 👍👍
It is super hard some days and I can relate to that.
This is all new to me too and its a tricky terrain however if we all stick together we can muddle through.💪💪

Muddleduck

Muddleduck

I also have too much time on my hands but can think of so many things i want to do, but motivation stops me doing many of them. I would say that there is no hurry to do anything, and maybe your anxiety is worrying about not doing anything. I have started to read recipes and plan meals to cook. I have found ideas for cakes and salads too and am going to get myself back into that. There is exercise i want to do, places i want to visit such as an old cathedral close by. I have been doing an online course and also enjoy craft hobbies. I paint too, and my cat keeps me busy. There are often groups at your library you can join, or help people locally to do their shopping or do jobs around the house if they cannot do them. I used to iron for other people. When i am anxious though, i clean my place. It really helps me. :hug: