• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar and Medication Free

S

skyblue

I've decided after some thought to come off all medication. My main reason is because I worry over the long term effects these medications have on my health. I believe I can monitor my illness and I don't feel it necessary to have to take all this medication when I'm going through reasonably stable times.

I have had 2 major episodes resulting in hospitalisation - both times I was going through a mixed episode. Inbetween these times I seem to have mini episodes/mainly depression, but I feel able to tackle these times by keeping in good health - Diet and exercise (which I try my hardest to do daily). When going through some bouts of depression, I'm unable to do anything, but luckily they only seem to last for a maximum of about a week and are few and far between.

Of course if I feel a major episode is starting to happen, I will seek the Medical help and treatment I need, but hopefully again just for short term use.

I was wondering if there was anybody else out there who is doing the same - monitoring their moods and working freely with their Pdoc ?

If so, what do you do to help you in terms of health/remedies/alternative therapies ?

T

TOONAFISH

hiya!

so med free eh. well i wish you luck. i have only been off my meds once to get pregnant with my daughter and i was fine, until i gave birth, ended up in hospital.

i worry about the long term esp with my lithium, they dont tell me much about it.

keep us posted xxx

C

cole

hi i have tried twice not to take my medicine and both times i got worse and needed even more pills.i also exercise daily and follow a healthy diet to avoid weight gain due to my meds. i really hope u are able to do it.wish u well x

S

skyblue

Oh well.. thanks very much for the support Toona !!

I have been living with Bipolar long enough to know how it affects me.

Not everybody with Bipolar has to stay on medication for life, which is why I'm asking for those who don't, which alternative therapies etc help them ?

T

TOONAFISH

I reckon relaxation, tai chi etc would help. I did a bit of tai chi and really enjoyed it. also do you do body balance already that is quite relaxing.

e reckon that excercise and diet can help. eat for mood is a book i had that was interesting.

xxx

S

skyblue

hi i have tried twice not to take my medicine and both times i got worse and needed even more pills.i also exercise daily and follow a healthy diet to avoid weight gain due to my meds. i really hope u are able to do it.wish u well x
Thanks Cole.

When I first had a major episode I took the medication given to me for a year and discontinued with my doctors consent. Three years later I had another, but I believe this could have been prevented if it wasn't for having to wait for an appointment with PDoc for so long. I personally haven't felt that I have got worse over the years, I actually feel that my mental health has improved.

:flowers:

T

TOONAFISH

I have just re read my post and realise that the way i have written it may look like i was being sarcastic,. it wasnt. I think it is hard to put across the way you are speaking in text and have had people think one thing and mean anther etc. sky i apologise it wasnt meant and i can assure you that im feeling mortified that i may have offended anyone.:hug:

emski

emski

Good luck skyblue! I will follow you on the self-management way - but at the moment it is not the time. I have only had diagnosis 2 years and been on my current meds only a year so going to give it a bit longer yet.

I hope it all works well for you (y)

S

skyblue

Thanks Emski :) - It's worth another try.

As mentioned though, I'm not necessarily expecting to be med free for life, if an episode occurs I'll be straight back on it, but in the meantime whilst i'm stable, I may aswell discontinue with the rest.

:flowers:

emski

emski

Yeah that's what I thought you meant. I hope to be able to go med free during sustained periods of wellbeing

:flowers: all the best

?

>.<

I'm trying to do it med free. It's really hard, but I prefer it, I only took seroquel during a major depressive episode and I hated it. I'd rather try to deal with it myself. If I have another bad episode though, I will take medication, but once I'm stable again, I'll stop.

Tell me how your doing we could share tips :D

TC :flowers:

S

skyblue

I'm trying to do it med free. It's really hard, but I prefer it, I only took seroquel during a major depressive episode and I hated it. I'd rather try to deal with it myself. If I have another bad episode though, I will take medication, but once I'm stable again, I'll stop.

Tell me how your doing we could share tips :D

TC :flowers:
Hiya TC,

I seem to be doing fine at the moment, I'm just weaning myself off the last little bit of Quetiapine, I'm down to just 75mg a night now. In a couple of days I'll cut it out completely.

I've had no problems with Quetiapine at all, it really helped me when I was feeling unwell. Luckily, I suffered with no side effects, also no withdrawal symptoms so far. I am slightly worried about my anxiety returning though, because Quetiapine also helped me with that, but I would like to find an alternative as I'd prefer not to stay on anti-psychotics for very long. I just worry about the long term effects on my health, being the worrier that I am.

I have started going down the gym everyday for 1hr 15mins a session and this has helped me a great deal. I'm also tee-total and try and eat a healthy diet.

I've really started to turn my life around now and care for my health, whereas before I used to self destruct which did nothing for my illness.

I hope it works out for you, and yes it'll be nice to share tips :). I'm currently looking into Acupuncture for backup (just incase my Anxiety returns) and also different sorts of herbal remedies.

Good luck TC and keep in touch. :flowers:

emski

emski

EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) is really good for anxiety (and phobias). Also relaxation and mindfulness. Best of all I have found swimming really good for anxiety because of the regulation of breathing (breaststroke best for this) and the tranquility of water.

You're doing really well skyblue :clap:

S

skyblue

Thanks for the info Emski :hug:.

There is just one thing actually.
I was hoping they would disappear. I'm trying my best to ignore them and not pay too much attention to them (because they're negative), which is why I wasn't going to mention it - I just didn't think it'll help me, but..

I seem to have worrying, disturbing negative thoughts that really bother me. It happens daily and I've noticed it seems to be happening more recently since cutting my medication down :unsure:. I've had these thoughts all my life, but when taking Quetiapine most disappeared or wasn't so strong. I took Quetiapine for the Depression side of bipolar and anxiety and I was pleasantly surprised that it took away the strong thoughts I was also having. I haven't even mentioned them to my doctor just because I thought this was minor and nothing could be done.

The only time they disappear is when I'm at the gym. I'm always busy during the day, but this doesn't seem to help. It's like I'm in my own little world and lacking concentration because I'm listening to these thoughts (which I hate). I'm trying my hardest to shove them aside.

Could this be part of the anxiety returning ?:unsure:

Last edited: