• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar and ECT

B

Benjycat1

I have been suffering from mental health problems for over 30 years. I am currently on 6 different medications but I still feel really ill. I really want to try ECT and I was wondering if there was anyone out there who has tried it? Thank you

toutatis

toutatis

Hi,

I've not personally tried it, but I guarantee you there'll be someone here who has, or someone with feedback about it. You're in the right place ,friend.

And a very warm welcome to the forum.

vanish

vanish

Staff Member on Leave
Hi there Benjycat!
I've had ECT in the past, but not for bipolar (I had it for depression and schizophrenia). For me, all the times I've had courses of it, it has begun to work within 3-4 sessions (there can be up to 10 sessions in a course). The upside is the effects are marvellous. The downside is memory issues for some (but not me) and the fact that maintenance sessions of ECT are often required (this is a couple of sessions every few months).
My first course was highly warranted because I'd become catatonic and had stopped eating as a combined result of psychosis and depression. After 3-4 sessions, I was again communicating and with 2 sessions I was eating normally again.
ECT is controversial but for me at least, it worked.

I wonder what others' opinions are?

Zig Zag

Zig Zag

HiBenjycat1 My opinion of ECT is it should only be used in extreme circumstances not suitable for many people seek other cures first.please