• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar and delusional jealousy?

S

Selena1234

Hi I'm really new to this but I was wondering if anyone could help, I've been diagnosed with both bpd and bipolar together. My jealousy has always been bad but it's got progressively worse with my current partner. My psychiatrist told me I also have delusional jealousy does anyone else have this or heard about it I'm really confused and quite upset would love some support!

Selena

X

L

Ladygrey

Interesting... I can understand jealousy . My jealousy is triggered by my abandonment issues from a very insecure childhood.

S

Selena1234

It's actually taking over my life at the moment I've just got over an episode of depression but this is still there I can't shake it off my relationship is really on the line, do you also get jealous? X

L

Ladygrey

Yes I get jealous if I think my emotional stability is about to be threatened by someone else. I have major abandonment issues. I get paranoid too.

S

Selena1234

Omg me too when your in a relationship do you get jealous about exs? Even though they are in the past I find myself looking them up on Facebook and comparing myself to them it's absolute hell!!

calypso

calypso

Admin
I think it refers to feeling irrational jealousy which is not based on any facts or reality. As I understand it, and I am no expert (!), a growing insecurity that a partner is unfaithful, or might act in a way which causes betrayal even in the light of all the evidence to the contrary.

I'm not sure that calling it delusional jealousy is in any way helpful though. To me its a sign of someone who needs to be helped to understand their deep insecurity and something like DBT might be really helpful here. DBT is Dialectical Behavioural Therapy addresses a lot of these issue and can offer a lot of tools to help you find a way through the maze of your distress with this. You might like to ask your pdoc about a course. It takes a year with a group meeting and a one to one, each week and is hard work. But it could turn your life around if you are willing to put in that work. I did a course and I still value some of the techniques taught to me a lot.

I hope you can try to isolate what is emotionally driven behaviour from what is rational behaviour and understand where such feelings come from. There is a book I have mentioned before on here called "Emotional Hijacking" by Marlene Schneider Potter. It is written in a very easy way and even in large print, because she realises that when people are highly distressed, the last thing they can handle is a lot of type face and reading. It might be worth a look.

S

Selena1234

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread, I was also quite shocked he called it delusional jealousy but it really is taking over my life at the moment and stress is what brings on episodes for me sometimes, I will definitely look into what you said, I'm willing to do anything now as I really am at my wits end!! Thanks again

A

Alda

Hi I'm really new to this but I was wondering if anyone could help, I've been diagnosed with both bpd and bipolar together. My jealousy has always been bad but it's got progressively worse with my current partner. My psychiatrist told me I also have delusional jealousy does anyone else have this or heard about it I'm really confused and quite upset would love some support!

Selena

X
my husband is diagnosed with delusional disorder of jealousy. t is much more better with meds

A

Alda

my husband is diagnosed with delusional disorder of jealousy. t is much more better with meds
do you use any medc to curate your delusional disorder? does your doctor suggest to you any kind of medicine?

K

keith74

Selena

X
This is pretty common with bpd. I agree with Calypso that DBT can be really helpful here. In fact, it was developed to help regulate the extreme emotions that are very common with bpd.

HLon99

HLon99

Delusions of Grandeur and Delusions of guilt are common themes in manic and depressive episodes of bipolar, respectively. Jealousy is more of a BPD thing.

H

HisWife

My husband had this badly when he was in his mixed state, there is still some now that he is depressed but he was really bad.

A

Alda

My husband had this badly when he was in his mixed state, there is still some now that he is depressed but he was really bad.
and how is he now?? he is still delusional? what kind of meds did he used? And for how many times?

H

HisWife

and how is he now?? he is still delusional? what kind of meds did he used? And for how many times?
He was on antidepressants that kicked off the mixed episode. They then switched him Depakote, which seemed to do nothing, and then added Seroquel. The Seroquel gradually got control of the mixed symptoms, but he slid into a depression. They then added Lamictal, and the depression seems to be lifting. Throughout all of this, he's also been on Klonipin for episodes of panic.

Jealousy continues to be an issue, but now it's more rational, if that makes sense. A lot of his jealousy is focused on his sister's husband. They have been very generous to me and our children while my husband has been ill. At the height of the mixed episode, my husband would make accusations that my BIL and I were intimate (we weren't, there is nothing like that). He also accused my BIL of trying to "steal" our children, because he'd do things like take them for bike rides or to the pool so they'd get a break from the stress that their father's illness was causing. Both of these were clearly irrational, and some of the things he demanded were irrational. For example, he wanted us to change our will so that my sister and brother in law wouldn't be named guardian of our children if we both died, implying that my brother in law might kill us to get our children.

Now, he's still jealous. He's particularly sad that my kids seem to enjoy being with their uncle more than their father, but he understands that the kids have been pretty hurt and scared by some of his behavior, and can accept rational solutions, like spending time doing things with them so they gradually rebuild trust.