• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bipolar and anxiety disorder

I

Icloud

Hi I'm new I just wanted to know is anybody in the same boat as me, I have bipolar and severe anxiety, the anxiety has been controlling my life since puberty and I'm now 40 years old, I very rarely leave home but I also suffer when I'm at home it never goes away, I worry myself sick over everything and live in a constant state of anxiety! Can anyone help?

A

act044

Hey I'm in the same boat sort of. I am very moody with bipolar and I don't leave the house or have friends . I get incredibly anxious around people. I don't know what to tell you to help as I am currently struggling. I have started to slowly widen my horizons . I messaged an old high school friend that I was really close with . We are going to go to the gym one of these days. I am slowly working myself into this so maybe that will help . I will let you know how it works for me so maybe you can see if it will work for you. Sorry I'm no help. Hope all works out.

I

Icloud

Hello act044 thanks for replying I'm sorry your having the same problems it is a nightmare and no way to live, I'm really happy for you and well done for contacting your friend that was very brave!! I take my son to school and pick him up again apart from that I don't really go out, all my family are great and very supportive they come and see me at my home I haven't been in their houses for years. My husband drives but even going out in the car is hard for me. Please let me know how you get on.

A

act044

That's pretty much what I've been doing. My son is in prek now so I've been going there and back. I haven't been able to bring him the last couple weeks with my pneumonia being so bad. I'm hoping getting out there slowly works. My son is getting pretty lonely only having myself and hubby to play with. The friend I was talking about is babysitting her little sisters so we are going to have a play date mon. Hoping all goes well. I also don't drive so it's hard for me to get anywhere anyway when I need to go somewhere . I guess you have to take it in baby steps . Slowly get out and about . I know I definitely can't just jump right in unless I've been drinking which I don't do anymore.

I

Icloud

Sorry to hear your not keeping well. I know what you mean about your son getting lonely my son was the same, now he's seven he has some friends he plays with in our street, they haven't been out since Christmas because the weather hasn't been great, I'm having real trouble with him at school he has cried every morning since sept he is full of anxiety it has been really distressing for all of us, his teacher says he's great in school it's just getting him in, everyone is telling me it is separation anxiety Im going to see the doc on Tuesday about it he's had counselling in school and I've also referred him for more outside school I know he's feeding of me so I'm trying hard to hold it together but I usually fall apart once I've left him in the mornings it's been so hard!!hope your son enjoys his play date.

A

aquaswirl

I too have bp and anxiety. I am on really great meds to cope with both. I'm on geodon, lamictal, Wellbutrin, klonipin and ambien. I used to not be able to go to the store but now I'm out and about everywhere. For me, small steps were best. Like I used to go to the store at 2am when no one was there. Now I can go anytime. I slowly had to face my fears and I'm better. I still have overly anxious days but they are fewer.

I

Icloud

That's a lot of meds!! I'm currently on abilify but I feel a nervous wreck since being on it I was on quetiapine for a year and a half but put on 4 stone though I was more stable on that I am seeing the pysc soon I think it's going to take a while to get my meds right, in the meantime I'm feeling rough which is adding to my anxiety and agoraphobia. Thanks for replying aquaswirl.

A

act044

Weather hasn't been the greatest here either so it's hard getting out as well. My son has his days . Some days he loves to go but others he cries and says I want you to stay with me . The school tells me he's doing really well. He excels passed his classmates and is the youngest student. He's in prek and is starting to spell read ect. I'm proud of him but I wish I could get out there more and get him socially competent . He gets so excited when he gets to play with other kids. It makes me feel bad for keeping to the house and me not having friends makes it hard for him to get out there. I'm hoping this taking things slowly will work.

I

Icloud

I know what it's like feeling guilty over your child it's awful, I was never able to take my son to mothers and toddlers groups and now the guilt is killing me when I see how distressed he is going into school I'm doing all I can for him but it's been tough these last few months in really grateful you replied although I wish you werent going through the same things I'm glad to have found someone who understands.

@

@niamh2014

Hi I'm just wondering could someone explain to me exactly what manic is? I know manic is related to Bipolar no? I have had GAD (General anxiety disorder for about nearly 4 years and this yr it had got alot worse..
I hadn't been diagnosed with Bipolar but I had like a episode at 17 but don't know was it really bipolar but just mainly anxiety and depression although I had been told I had psychosis/psychotic depression at the time.. just wondering though if someone would know about mania/manic depression? living with it themselves etc, thanks

I

Icloud

Hiya niamh2014 I have also gone through times when I have doubted that I had bipolar the best thing to do is Google mania to see if it matches anything you have had there is even a mania test you can do. Hope that helps.

P

Panini Potatoes

Hi Everyone, I'm brand new to this site and forum. I have been recently diagnosed as BP-II. Years ago I was diagnosed as depressed and had (still have) anxiety. Along with this (as if it wasn't enough) I have a hard time remembering things and am constantly forgetting things I've just heard. I'm currently on a cocktail of meds: lamictal 100mg once a day, xanax 1mg 3x a day as needed, 5mg prozac once a day, and newly started focacil (for paying attention because I get distracted easily but I don't have ADHD that I know of). Just looking for support and advice on how everyone copes with their BP and other issues. Thanks :)