• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar and alcohol abuse

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

Well personally i've bored myself with my drinking. I know how bad I feel when I drink, I know how good I felt when I had six months away from this evil drug. Yet I still keep going back to it:confused:

Really at the end of my tether at the moment. Feeling unbelieveably depressed at the moment; understandbly as alcohol itself is a depressant.

Anyone else battle an addiction as well as their Bipolar?

S

skyblue

Just before I was diagnosed with Bipolar I needed rehabilitation for alcohol. I didn't realise I was addicted, I detoxed in hospital when I was going through a breakdown 4yrs ago and it was sheer hell. I'm now pretty much T-total.

I have to stay clear and be really careful now because if i'm stressed and feel the need to drink, I seem to bring on another episode and it's not pleasant. I end up doing crazy things and back in the MH hospital again.

I'm feeling really stressed right now, afew things are going on in my life and I can't switch off, it's tearing me apart and I could really do with turning to the drink to help relax,.. but I can't, I must be strong.

I'm going to ask for some Diazepam and sleeping pills to get me through.

I hope you're able to overcome your addiction, I know the AA are very good with support, my dad attends, he's a recovered alcoholic - 4yrs now.

Maybe you could ask your GP for some support.

Good luck. :flowers:

A

Apotheosis

17 years in addiction - coming up for 9 years in T-Total Recovery. (despite a small slip)

DiagnosisBipolar2

DiagnosisBipolar2

17 years in addiction - coming up for 9 years in T-Total Recovery. (despite a small slip)
Really wish I could follow you.

Thanks for your reply skyblue.

I'm so very fed up I bore myself.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marly92 Bipolar Forum 7
S Bipolar Forum 1
B Bipolar Forum 25
K Bipolar Forum 8
pandr oid Bipolar Forum 10