• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar and ADHD.

R

rawlinsc

How are they different and how are they similar?
I am diagnosed with both. I was diagnosed with bipolar at 19 and ADHD at 36.

Wishbone

Wishbone

One is a mood disorder and one is a developmental disorder, right? So, like Autism, one is always there and one is episodic.

R

rawlinsc

The test said I had ADHD but the doctor did not believe it because I did extremely well in college. I am on strattera for it anyway and lithium for bipolar. I think the strattera is finally helping with sleep.

R

rawlinsc

I was asking more in terms of symptoms.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Well you can obviously separate hypomania and mania from depression, and those from a normal state. What about the ADHD stuff, can you recognise those in yourself? Lack of focus etc? I assume you can differentiate between periods of high energy and hypomania/mania?

R

rawlinsc

Well you can obviously separate hypomania and mania from depression, and those from a normal state. What about the ADHD stuff, can you recognise those in yourself? Lack of focus etc? I assume you can differentiate between periods of high energy and hypomania/mania?
I lack focus sometimes because of lack of energy or racing thoughts or boredom.

Wishbone

Wishbone

See I don't know how they differentiate between certain things. I mean, when I'm hypo I can jump around a lot with my thoughts and even now as I type this I don't know if my concentration is bad or if it's so good that I'm hyper-aware of lots of different things all at once. But it can be that what I'm doing gets to the point where I am half way through one task, see something else and think "Oh I need to put that away", go back to the original task and see something else, move onto that because that has to be done before I forget, remember something that I need to write down somewhere before I forget it, back to task and so on and so on...

And then at others my mind just cannot concentrate on anything (reading has really fell of a cliff for me in a big way, I really struggle to read for long nowadays) and there are times when I can stay focused on one task for many hours without anything else getting in the way thoughtwise.

How the hell can they pick the bones of that and see Bipolar and potentially something else too? Crazy stuff.

S

SFGuy

I have been diagnosed with BP 2 and ADD inattentive type. Hypomania and ADD hyper focus were my good friends in college and grad school, where I excelled. They started producing problems after that and got worse as I got older, too goal oriented, and disorganized. Still, a low dose stimulant along with my bipolar meds helps me out. I can’t take much without getting jittery, though.

R

rawlinsc

I have been diagnosed with BP 2 and ADD inattentive type. Hypomania and ADD hyper focus were my good friends in college and grad school, where I excelled. They started producing problems after that and got worse as I got older, too goal oriented, and disorganized. Still, a low dose stimulant along with my bipolar meds helps me out. I can’t take much without getting jittery, though.
I am going to ask my psychiatrist if we can increase my strattera for more focus and energy during the day.