• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar and accused wrongly :(

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

So what do you do if you're accused of something you did not do but because you're 'crazy',some people don't believe you?

I find this particularly difficult because I have always maintained integrity,my accusor said privately that they didn't like me at all but publicly said that I was 'such a sweet person and lovingly took care of everyone but I am unstable'. I've been stable for a long time! How do you deal with accusations,especially when it's blamed on your mental health?

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
What have you been accused of? If you don't mind sharing, i suspect the best response is dependent upon that.

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Thanks Nikita, I'm just feeling powerless and I hate that. I have been able to prove this to certain people (through screen shots) so they back me 100% and are livid. However,I can't show it to other people and now they not only question my stability but also question if I did this thing (which is disgusting and deplorable by the way) as a result of this person asserting that I was unstable. I asked him why he did this,he said it was due to popularity! I outed him and people definitely hoping he would show his real colours and it did. But after this,he became angry and accused me of basically stalking people,convinced the person in charge (they are dating) so I was then publicly accused. Both he and this superior both stated they had no 'real proof per se' but they have a lot of power.

Oh and did I mention I'm a forensic psychologist and it goes against every fibre of my being to do such a thing? I know I can gather evidence in the meantime (it is what I do after all!) but until then I've been branded. I guess I just needed to vent,I do apologise #awkward.

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Hi Helena. Basically spreading a horrid rumour and it is just not in my nature. I'd never do that. It has just this second been settled and I've been vindicated but it's left a very very bitter taste.

Glad it's been proven false though!

BillFish

BillFish

Thanks Nikita, I'm just feeling powerless and I hate that. I have been able to prove this to certain people (through screen shots) so they back me 100% and are livid. However,I can't show it to other people and now they not only question my stability but also question if I did this thing (which is disgusting and deplorable by the way) as a result of this person asserting that I was unstable. I asked him why he did this,he said it was due to popularity! I outed him and people definitely hoping he would show his real colours and it did. But after this,he became angry and accused me of basically stalking people,convinced the person in charge (they are dating) so I was then publicly accused. Both he and this superior both stated they had no 'real proof per se' but they have a lot of power.

Oh and did I mention I'm a forensic psychologist and it goes against every fibre of my being to do such a thing? I know I can gather evidence in the meantime (it is what I do after all!) but until then I've been branded. I guess I just needed to vent,I do apologise #awkward.
Are you really a bipolar forensic psychologist? Rather unique, but cool:p

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Haha,yup,very true I'm afraid. But worry not,it's under control ;) it means I have to report to OT every 6 months and have more regular counselling because I am obviously surrounded by triggers as a police consultant but that's a good thing,it's a safeguard. Plus I do other things to relieve the stress. I know 4 people who have bipolar and work in this area.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Hi Jenny.

I'm sorry you went through this, but glad that you have been vindicated, and the matter cleared up.

It's all part and parcel of being of having MH issues. We are routinely disbelieved, and accused of misrepresenting people and events, even though the reverse is frequently true.

It's all too easy for devious and deviant folk out there, to take refuge in the prejudice and stigma around MH: we are befuddled cos of our health, or have made a vexatious claim. We can, apparently, be funny like that....

This is used against us in a variety of settings and contexts, including by the very professionals who are supposed to be helping us - as many clients/patients can attest, when putting in a complaint to the NHS, and getting a formulaic whitewash response :)

JennyWren32

JennyWren32

Thank you Peter. I know this is just typical of the attitudes some people have toward MH issues. I've encountered it in a different way before (not getting jobs,being questioned in my personal life) but usually I can handle that,as infuriating as it is. It's normally easily dealt with using 2 questions; 'Oh so you're mentally well? Really,how do you know if you've never been assessed?' Makes them worry enough to be quiet!

This was different because both people have MH disorders. But I guess that has no bearing at all on whether they're decent people or not,you can have bp and still be horrible. Anyway,it's been proven now so I'll move on. Thank you for your advice :)