• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Bipolar Analogy - What do you think?

• Thread starter BeachesBeCrayzy
  • Start date
B

BeachesBeCrayzy

I made this analogy the other day and I was wondering if anyone else found it relatable or if maybe I was being too dramatic. Bipolar is like terminal cancer; there are treatments but no cure, horrible side affects with or without medication, and it only ends when you end (if ya know what I mean).

M

Mav2126

Interesting analogy. Although I think I would rather have terminal cancer than bipolar. Bipolar is years and years of suffering and pain whereas terminal cancer will be over sooner rather than later. Just wouldn't want the physical pain of cancer - but they would give you good drugs at the end. Thats a plus.

Wishbone

Wishbone

If it's acute then it's too aggressive and will all be over too soon for a fair comparison. If it's a slow process then that's closer I guess, but I'd actually say the most accurate is probably a Cancer patient that has gone into remission and has then relapsed, and then gone into remission, and relapsed, and so on. It's the mental toll of this thing coming back all the time that really grinds me down anyway. You can keep fighting and punching but if you still see that enemy coming at you it'll test anyones resolve.
I think the biggest difference is the knowing that you are dying. We're all dying of course, but to be told you only have 5 months to live must be something to get your head around, even for people like us. I've thought about that a few times: what it would feel like; how I would react if I was told such news - I'm still not sure. So many times I've wanted to leave this place as soon as I could and so many times I've dug my heels in and fought like hell to stay here. To have that essentially taken away from you so that your ability to control one of those outcomes is gone is maybe something for us to consider. But at the same time, there are many things that we deal with that Cancer patients wouldn't want either. They certainly wouldn't want the life long sentence of it.
But I wouldn't want to look at it in a "My dad could beat your dad up" kind of way. Both are terrible illnesses that nobody wants that many people get. We just have to fight them while we can.

B

BeachesBeCrayzy

What do you do/ have you done when you don’t want to keep fighting yourself endlessly? I totally agree that I could wrap my head around a 5 yr terminal illness but it’s much different being told this is the rest of your life. (I was recently diagnosed btw and think I’m experiencing hypo mania or a mixed episode).

M

Mav2126

You just gotta kick back and take that shit as it comes...fire up a cigarette and smoke em if you got em

Zero One

Zero One

I wouldn't want any form of cancer. My favorite aunt died from it and when she died it was awful how she died...I don't mind saying it but it may be too much of a trauma to mention. She went through some things I didn't even know was humanly possible...so I will keep my bipolar over that.

Wishbone

Wishbone

What do you do/ have you done when you don’t want to keep fighting yourself endlessly? I totally agree that I could wrap my head around a 5 yr terminal illness but it’s much different being told this is the rest of your life. (I was recently diagnosed btw and think I’m experiencing hypo mania or a mixed episode).
In those moments you try to do all the things you've learned about to help yourself get out of depression, like getting light, not sleeping too much etc. Sometimes this is possible, other times it's not. Sometimes it's simply a war of attrition and eventually you outwait the depression, something happens internally, and it dissipates. Finding the right medication is something else, but this can be a long process in itself. I'm still not there yet myself - better, but not where I need to be. But ultimately it all comes down to hope. You hope for a better time to come; for the right medication to be found and for your symptoms to one day be much better managed than they are presently. But that's also part of it. It's about accepting that you have it, accepting that it may not go away completely, and accepting that you're going to have to manage the illness, your illness. You have to own it so it doesn't own you.

What symptoms are you having at the minute?

T

timing

My bipolar husband lived for 8 weeks after cancer diagnosis. He would have chosen life.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Eight weeks is shit, it really is. A relative of mine got about twelve weeks from diagnosis. There's no adapting to that, it's like getting shot or something; a jolt. But I still don't know about the difference between the two, it's quite complex and depends on the types involved: there is no single Cancer and there is no single Bipolar, so it's tricky.