• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Bipolar affects careears.

A

avinash8340

Bipolar has affected my carrear as in deppresion you feel like givig up my legal practice. I feel lazy in court and my public relations are poor, which is essential for any lawyer.Many time due to change in my moods i feel like leaving my legal work and doing some other business.
Because of my queer behaviour i have lost many clients although i have won many criminalcases for them. But because of my mood changes my clients are going away from me.

jax

jax

I am sorry that your illness is affecting your job. It must be so difficult for you. I never made it to having a career as my illness struck me while I was in University. Some how or other I managed to get my BA degree in Psychology. I had intended to get my PhD in Psychology. It never happened. For the last 14 years I have been on benefits and unable to even volunteer.
Have you seen your Pdoc lately? Maybe a medication change is in order? Have you been ill long and is it just lately you have been having difficulty doing your job? I do hope that things start to get better for oyu.
Jacqui

A

avinash8340

Thank you Jax. your advice will go long way. many of bipolars are suffering from similar problems.But in my country india there is no support from government.All disabled have to make thier own living. so dailly living becomes tough. Secondlly for men now also for woman making carreears
making name and fame is important thing. It is difficult to ristrict, limit carreears compared to others.
I Read that sir abraham liincon, winston churchil, Boris yelsin were suffering from deppression but still they did well. Sir John Neff was suffering from psizophrenia still he went on to win Nobel prize in Maths. its strange isnt it. It differs from person to person

jax

jax

It's a shame that your government does not provide for the sick. I used to speak to a guy with Schizophrenia who lived in India. He was lucky in the fact that his family had their own business. So when he felt well,he worked and when he felt ill, he didn't need to work. It must be so difficult for you to try and do your job every single day and know that this is what you have to do for the rest of your life regardless of how you're feeling. I really feel for you.

I read John Nash's book, a beautiful mind. It was pretty amazing. I didn't understand any of the maths stuff but did enjoy his story of his life and illness. He was a very sick man at times though. One of my professors in university (I went to university in the States) saw John Nash in the university she attended and he taught at the time ... Princeton University. She she he was an unpleasant man and clearly ill. He is to be admired as despite being so ill, he made such advances in maths.

Do you have a Psychiatrist? Are you on medication? If not - it might be worth looking into.

Take care, Jacqui

D

Dollit

I know that there is very little psychiatric care in India as I was emailing a girl there who was trying to find help for her bipolar mother. The things that we complain about (medication, doctors etc.) are the very things that people with mental health problems in India would love to complain about. We really should be grateful for what we have. I dread to think how I would have turned out if I'd been unmedicated.

jax

jax

Indeed Dollit. I am very grateful for what I get here in N.Ireland. I happened to live in another country and experience the health care there. Despite living in such a great country as America and even having health care insurance . . . I struggled to keep on top of my co-payments for my treatment. My Pdoc/therapist saw me for practically nothing almost every day of the week for 50 minutes. She got paid about $150 a week for all the hours she spent with me. She wrote the rest off as unpaid fees and so could claim some back. I was extremely lucky that she did this for me.

The last year I was in the states, I owed over $40.000 in excess medical bills. It was the money that I owed that my insurance wouldn' t pay such as the 20% I had to pay for medicines and a lot of my hospital admissions fees.

I actually had to return home as I couldn't keep up with the medical bills. Despite USA being such a powerful country - there are many, many people who have no insurance and therefore are not treated. I was lucky that I did have insurance, though I was still in heavily in debt with my treatment and medical bills. We are indeed lucky in this country to have the health care we have - despite its shortcomings.
Jacqui

A

avinash8340

thank you jax, i am going to a psychatrist for last 20 yearsand i am still medication that is why i am able to work as lawyer, also i am part time investor in stock market, where i am quite successful and i have taken out profits from stocks in to govt bonds which give me regular income. Why i have done well in stocks is because here i dont have to deal with people.
But there is no govt aid in india to disabled.There are many
psychatrst like in my town of 500,000 people there are 10 psychatrist but no psychotherpist. In all psychatrist here are not like advanced counties like u. s. a. or u. k. But india is not developed country. it is devoloping country.
i go to psychatrist who specilises in bipolar. well i had no major incident for last 15 years. But my carreear is affected.

jax

jax

You're lucky that you are still able to work and use your brain. I wish I could put mine to proper use. I can barely count to 100 in my head. My thinking is very muddled a lot of the time. I haven't read a book in almost 3 years. I haven't read a newspaper in nearly 2 years. I often feel that my brain is fried.
It's good that you are in the stock market and still being a lawyer. Even though it is difficult for you - keep doing it. Maybe with the stock market - you could make enough to put aside for an early retirement?
I do very well with people. I really love people and have a lot of friends. I enjoy their company. I can't imagine how difficult it is for you to have such a hard time being around people.
I'm glad that you do have a Psychiatrist. You're very lucky with the ratio of people and Psychiatrists you gave.
Be sure to come here and talk about whatever is going on. You can get some support. Jacqui

A

avinash8340

thanks

I must thank this forum and you jax as it has been a eye opner and it has heped
me have correct perspective about bipolar disorder and i will keep on visiting it. I admire you jax for the kind of social service you are doing depite sever disorder.

A

avinash8340

After hearing everybody i feel for a bipolar, which is a major disorder, getting well is his main careear and making money or fame or post is his secondary aim in life

A

avinash8340

Hi Jaqui hows life . are you better. wish you good hlth.

jax

jax

hi there :hug:
I'm doing ok. Having a lot of stress going on at home. Just trying to keep out of the house as much as I can. My Pdoc talked last time I saw her of changing my medicine. Hopefully that'll happen when I see her 23rd.

Hope you're ok? Thanks for thinking about me. x
Jacqui

A

avinash8340

hi jacqui, hows life? do you have familly problems? everybody has them. My kids dont study.and competion in education is fierce here.But i cannot do much about it except giving them best education.
My pmo insisist that i must listen to my family. I tell him what about my liberty. he says your liberty is required to be curtailed to monitor mood swings, so that you dont take irrational decisions durig the swings.He says familly is very important to get well. I wish you will be well and helthy

jax

jax

Thanks Avanish,
Yes I am having family problems. Namely - my mum!! She has been living with me for about 14 years. She's very difficult to live with. I usually ignore her rudeness, tantrums and nastiness. Lately I have been not well mentally. I had to put my dog to sleep as he had cancer. My mum was very unpleasant about the whole thing. One day I lost my temper (Something that rarely happens) I ended up telling her I was sick of the way she talked to me and treated me. She has not spoken to me since Sunday week. It is very difficult living in a house when someone won't talk. She says that she is going to move out. This sounds terrible - but I would be so relieved if she does move out.

I don't cope well with stress. I am experiencing some of my old symptoms. Some psychotic symptoms too. All in all - feeling like poo lol

I don't have any children. I do have 5 nieces and nephews - who I absolutely adore. They are my life. They mean the world to me.

My friends and family are very good at noticing when I am high. They are usually the first to notice it. So I guess they keep me in line lol
Hope you have a good day.
Jacqui

portree

portree

Sending warm thoughts

Hi Avanish and Jacqui,

I've only very recently joined this forum and just noticed this thread. Hello from another bipolar sufferer. It's difficult to hold on to a career when you have bipolar, isn't it? Reading what both of you have to say, I guess I consider myself lucky. Despite some big gaps, I've been lucky enough to recover from my manic/depressive episodes and resume my work as a software developer.

Anyway, that's enough about me. I just wanted to send some warm thoughts to you both.
:grouphug: