• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bipolar 1, diagnosed 2017.

Clydol_17

Clydol_17

Hi everyone. Glad to have found this little hole on the internet. I was diagnosed in 2017 after I went AWOL upon dismissal in university.

Upon consultation, we discovered I was actually having episodes since 2013 when I was in high school. Life hasn't been easy but I'm currently stable. I'm 22 now.

Looking forward to make friends.

calypso

calypso

Admin
Hiya and welcome to the forum. I too am diagnosed bipolar and understand. I am also quite balanced at the moment.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
Hello and welcome Clydol. I am sure you will make plenty of new friends here.

Clydol_17

Clydol_17

Thanks for the replies, guys! How have you been doing this quarantine? Also, is anyone still in school?

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
Thanks for the replies, guys! How have you been doing this quarantine? Also, is anyone still in school?
You're welcome. Quarantine is boring and restrictive but I have been watching a lot of movies and TV series, which I have been doing for years anyway.

Nah I am almost 38 mate but I do have a degree from the Open University.

Clydol_17

Clydol_17

That
You're welcome. Quarantine is boring and restrictive but I have been watching a lot of movies and TV series, which I have been doing for years anyway.

Nah I am almost 38 mate but I do have a degree from the Open University.
That's nice. Sometimes I feel hopeless that this illness will disable me from reaching my full potential. Prior to diagnosis I was an excellent student and I did well in extra curriculars too. I had a good set of friends, too. Now I only have a few but that's ok. Only quality people stay am I right :)

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
That

That's nice. Sometimes I feel hopeless that this illness will disable me from reaching my full potential. Prior to diagnosis I was an excellent student and I did well in extra curriculars too. I had a good set of friends, too. Now I only have a few but that's ok. Only quality people stay am I right :)
You seem very smart and I have faith that you can reach your potential. I didn't reach my potential because of mental illness but I made peace with that a few years ago.

Yep, if they're going to judge you for being mentally ill when you're obviously a nice person then it's their loss. In my experience mentally ill people are more friendly and caring than 'normies', perhaps because those with mental health issues know who it's like to struggle and are better able to empathise. It could just be confirmation bias on my part though. And to be fair, I have had people who aren't mentally ill in my life who have been great.

Clydol_17

Clydol_17

I
You seem very smart and I have faith that you can reach your potential. I didn't reach my potential because of mental illness but I made peace with that a few years ago.

Yep, if they're going to judge you for being mentally ill when you're obviously a nice person then it's their loss. In my experience mentally ill people are more friendly and caring than 'normies', perhaps because those with mental health issues know who it's like to struggle and are better able to empathise. It could just be confirmation bias on my part though. And to be fair, I have had people who aren't mentally ill in my life who have been great.
I'm predicted to graduate in 2021. Selfish as it may sound, I hope this Covid19 crisis does not affect that. My delay in university is 2 years.

I see. The fact that you made peace in inspiring. But I hope you realize that it is also never too late. You're right, we do somewhat empathize better with struggling people. But yes, normies can also be good empathizers.

Do you have a family or kids? How does your illness affect that aspect of your life? I'm 50-50 on having kids, I have a temper.

Mario82

Mario82

Taking a break
I

I'm predicted to graduate in 2021. Selfish as it may sound, I hope this Covid19 crisis does not affect that. My delay in university is 2 years.

I see. The fact that you made peace in inspiring. But I hope you realize that it is also never too late. You're right, we do somewhat empathize better with struggling people. But yes, normies can also be good empathizers.

Do you have a family or kids? How does your illness affect that aspect of your life? I'm 50-50 on having kids, I have a temper.
You don't seem selfish. Your future matters as much as your present.

Thanks. And yeah, suppose it is never too late but I just mean I could have done well in life but spent too many years being paranoid and showing mental health symptoms, having social phobia etc. I'm not someone who is motivated by money or ambition really. I just like to feel peace in life and that does me. It would be nice to live in a bigger house and stuff but I am relatively content.

No kids or wife or gf or anything, but I still have family members. My illness has made it very difficult to meet women over the years tbh. I'm not a virgin but I am not experienced either.

I think many people have tempers. I don't really want kids even though I love kids. I just don't feel I am responsible enough.