• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Binging and lying

D

DownTowner

Hello all: New guy here on the forum. I hope I can meet some wise people to comment and offer a different perspective on my experiences and also maybe be able to offer a wise word or two for someone else. That's the plan anyway :)

So to the topic of binging and lying. My wife is a wonderful person who makes my life better simply by being there. She is truly the love of my life and is always 100 percent helpful in trying to support me in any way as I work towards conquering BED.

To that end, she's offered to make healthy meals for me to take to work (I work evenings, usually 3-to-11ish). I should also mention at this point that she is on disability and has PTSD, so she has to work even harder at the basics than a "normal" person would. But when I am at my worst, I will literally throw her hard work in the trash, beg a co-worker to borrow $5 and binge at the candy machine. And then when she asks me how I liked the dinner, I'll say "oh great, you really did a good job on that bean and pasta medley."

I hate myself for binging and I hate myself just as much (if not more) for lying. But sometimes I literally can't stop.

Has anyone else every dealt with this problem as it regards the feelings of a significant other? I'm a smart guy and know that what I'm doing is crap. But once that binge switch gets flipped, I could do or say almost anything to get my food fix.

Thanks for helping.

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
how are you lying to her? is she making you lunch and you are throwing it away?

SarahD

SarahD

:welcome: Hi Downtowner

Welcome to the forum.

This is a friendly place, good for discussion, help and support. I hope you will enjoy using it and find it helpful.

I don't really know what to advise, but one suggestion I have would be to eat the meal your wife has made first, then you would have something good and nourishing. Afterwards if you still binge you would be a bit fuller before you started so have less room for the unhealthy food, and the,good food would not be wasted. Then you would not need to lie about eating it either.

Are there any support groups for BED in your area?

Best wishes, Sarah

P

PinkeyJeniix

Hi there, I'm the same not with an OH, But my Mum.

Like for instance she buys me really healthy things to eat, And I throw them away so it looks like I'm eating them, When really I'm running down to the local chip shop stuffing my face.

I completely understand, You just can't stop yourself. For me when I start I just don't when to stop.

The only thing I would suggest would be to eat the meal, That way your not actually lying to her because you're eating it, But get help with the binge eating. Maybe if you feel like your OH is understanding you could always come clean to her, And tell her and explain you need help and you will get it.

c:

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
sorry you made it clear in your original post and i didnt get that you did. i would also say eat the meal as then you wont be lying to wife. i have never had this issue myself as i always eat everything when i binge but i have stolen money (to buy food) and food before from family/ flatmates and feel bit guilty about that.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Faith198 Eating Disorders Forum 15
probablycrying Eating Disorders Forum 1
C Eating Disorders Forum 3