• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Binge eating

D

Darlscoe

Hi, I'm new. I'm a competetive bodybuilder. This year my show prep got cancelled due to the discovery of a femoral hernia. I've struggled with binge eating before and never done anything about it.
So I track all week, use my fitness pal and allow myself something nice to eat each day. I have an off plan day on a Saturday. Sometimes I control this and others I don't. Sometimes (like today). I will eat my off plan meal. Go on to eat a dessert. This is where I should stop, but I don't, I dip a spoon in spreads, eat biscuits. And I've got sweets and crisps to eat tonight. I can have real good weeks then bam it happens again. Help me 😭

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Darlscoe. Welcome to the forum. I am very sorry you are stuck binging. I have a binge eating disorder and what I have learned is if you have b.e.d you can never restrict food or do any kind of 'diet' as it triggers a binge. I am wondering if your body is finding your diet restrictive and that is prompting you to binge. I am sorry as I understand being a bodybuilder this makes things very difficult.

Z

Zoe1

hi Darlscoe :welcome: !

yeah I do things like that
although I dont have a professional target to meet with it
currently I have a buddy with OA
I send news to her each night
along with a list of what ive eaten that day

this has kept my weight from rising further
although I might have to get some professional help
from a health coach again

:grouphug:💜🖌🐢🎼🎨

N

natalie

Hi,

I just wonder if you might benefit from a dietician, or nutironist, and they would be the ones to point you in the right direction, you would need to book an appointment for the doctor, GP, and they can refer you on.

I often have this problem, and I am not even a competive bodybuilder! I am into fitness, only not that sort. At the moment, my dietary intake has been reduced, ie, not having crisps every 5 mins, and choclate, so I'm fine.

I hope the first paragraph might help you.

P

Purpleplum

Like was said earlier, don't restrict or it will lead to a binge. See we weren't meant to not eat enough and so the body finds a way to correct that. It's how the species survived and kept it going.

Once you start giving your body what it needs everyday you won't want to binge.

You also have to replace using food as a reward. Think of food as something your body needs and it keeps it healthy and gives you energy.

D

Darlscoe

hi Darlscoe :welcome: !

yeah I do things like that
although I dont have a professional target to meet with it
currently I have a buddy with OA
I send news to her each night
along with a list of what ive eaten that day

this has kept my weight from rising further
although I might have to get some professional help
from a health coach again

:grouphug:💜🖌🐢🎼🎨
Thanks so much for your reply, it doesn't affect my weight at the moment although I feel it does push my progress to take longer, its taken more toll being in lockdown with gyms being closed and also now the femoral hernia as I'm not allowed to be as active as I normally am as of yet. Previously if I was having an off plan day I wouldn't stuff my face to the point of feeling sick and carrying on I would just enjoy a day off plan. Maybe I'll call the doctors and get an appointment, it's a real horrible disorder I feel for the people who deal with it daily because it's really awful how it makes you feel

D

Darlscoe

Hi,

I just wonder if you might benefit from a dietician, or nutironist, and they would be the ones to point you in the right direction, you would need to book an appointment for the doctor, GP, and they can refer you on.

I often have this problem, and I am not even a competive bodybuilder! I am into fitness, only not that sort. At the moment, my dietary intake has been reduced, ie, not having crisps every 5 mins, and choclate, so I'm fine.

I hope the first paragraph might help you.
Thanks so much for the reply. I think I will see a doctor, I just feel stupid like there going to say it's not a problem as its not affecting my weight, but it affects Mr mentally and I feel like it will affect my progress as apposed to just enjoying food rather than stuffing it in until I am bursting yet keep going

Z

Zoe1

hi Darlscoe

yes Ive just reached out for help too
from the health coaches I worked with before
its going to be tough but I gotta do something about it !

:hugs: