Binge Eating

• Thread starter iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2
  • Start date
I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

Hello everyone. I'm a terrible binge eater. I had a lot of calories in only a few hours yesterday. I'm in love with food. I always sit around looking forward to my next meal, snack, sweet food or sweet drink. I'm failing yet another diet again. I gain weight then lose weight just to gain it back and then some again. Please help me. I want to be healthy. I want to be beautiful. I want to be in love with my body for a change. I'm embarrassed about how I look. The thought of counting calories for the rest of my life and eating only enough to maintain weight for the rest of my life severely scares and depresses me. I binge because of strong cravings. I also binge for security and comfort reasons. I binge on certain foods because they remind me of when I was a little girl visiting my Dad. It reminds me of him and I love him so much. I'm still a Daddy's girl even at 32 years old. Right before and on my period my cravings get worse. I barely ever feel full. After a binge I feel guilty. Least I don't purge that much any more. My therapist and psychiatrist are gonna be so angry at me for doing this again, especially after all the work they are doing to help me stop this. My psychiatrist even put me on a medication to help me lose weight. I'm scared to tell them I'm binging again. Please help me! :sorry::cry::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
What work are you doing with your therapist and doc to tackle this? If they are still helping you with this issue then I don't think they would be suppressed you are still doing this behaviour at times or self their wouldn't be anything to work on.

You can think of yourself as beautiful and love your body whatever weight you are.
You wont necessarily need to count calories the rest of your life to maintain a healthy weight, you can work on intuitive eating so you will just eat the right amount naturally.

I think you need to let go of the guilty, I know I just end up in a cycle of eating, then guilt, then eating more to forget the guilt and it is so hard to then stop.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I think you are using food as a form of self harm. I don’t know what your discussing with your therapist but you need to pinpoint when the binging started and if something has triggered it. maybe then you can deal with the problem that’s causing you to overeat.
My daughter went up to a size 24 and we knew it was because of abuse in childhood. But after a lot of therapy she has come to terms and is now a size 18. She’s refused to go on a diet she just has a sensible eating plan. And if they’re going out for a meal she enjoys it but doesn’t overeat but then for a couple of days she eats a balanced diet

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
I really empathise ,I binge eat often for comfort ,I feel lost and empty and for a short while it fills a hole
I feel so depressed and guilty afterward
I wish I could just eat normally
meds don't help with my weight either
just sending lots of love support and understanding xxx

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

Thanks for all your support everyone. The work I'm doing with my psychiatrist and therapist are taking a medication to help me lose weight. I'm working on little strategies to try and help me get the food I crave and still lose weight. For example, not buying the bags of candy my Dad and I would eat together when I was a little girl, like buying candy bars instead and only have 1 serving a day. That helped for a little bit. Or not buying tubs of ice cream, but by little servings 1 at a time instead. Doing distractions like walking, journalling etc.. Trying to discover all the reasons I binge eat. We have been doing lots of work together. I even put a bag of candy in my sisters drawer to not binge because it is her personal space I have no right to invade and take from it. I even asked my sister to hide the sweets for me and only give me 1 serving per day. That only helped for a little while. Least I'm not purging anymore. I'm thinking about asking my psychiatrist to please let me switch to medications that don't cause weight gain. But I am scared to do that because I'm responding well to these medications, besides the weight gain and increased appetite. I love and hate food and drink so much! :cry::mad::sorry::evil:

I

iWILLOBTAINMENTALHEALTH2

I binged so much yesterday. :cry2:

ELV

ELV

Small changes like you mentioned is the best way to go so it's not a huge shock to you physically and mentally. Also rewarding yourself in small ways, not with food!, for sticking to it could help switch your mindset a little. If you have a set back don't use it as a quick excuse to give up already. Try again the next day.

I can relate in some ways. Before all these meds I was able to stick to a diet plan when needed that worked well for me, now I can't even do it for half a day. My psychiatrist wants me to see a nutritionist. I guess it's worth a try if available to you as well.