• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Binge eating/emotional eating

F

Fragrantdestiny

I finally admitted to myself today that my eating spells are to deal with loneliness. I eat when I’m not hungry and constantly go to the store to get food when I already have meals at home. I think I do this to give myself something to do during the day and have some type of interaction. This has gone on for the past two years. It started when I lost my dog, and main of interaction, and I really need to get in control of my eating habits again. I’ve completed step one and will start my cleanse tomorrow. Step two is joining an forum and making friends. If you are interested in talking, please reach out.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Bing eating and emotional eating are different things. Step one? Are you gonna fast or something? I have lots of free time because I'm a burden to those around me. And I too 'hoard' food. Even if I don't eat it. Not having any makes me feel unsafe. I can talk. :)

B

bpd2020

Hello Fragrantdestiny. Welcome to the forum. It is really positive you have been able to identify you are using food to ease loneliness. It can be difficult to understand why we use food. I am so sorry you lost your dog. I can fully understand why you turned to food. What do you mean by cleanse? It would not be healthy to try to restrict food as that could lead you to binging.

MarieRose

MarieRose

I comfort eat and am addicted to sugar am diagnosed with the eating disorder overeating.I worked out comfort eating is to avoid feelings I can't handle,instead of experiencing an emotion I eat to avoid it.Gotta stop replacing my emotions with a food binge.It's easier to do when I can get my head round it and am aware of what the problem really is.I also eat to fill the loneliness,food is like having friends!I am working on the problem and keeping positive.

F

Fragrantdestiny

Bing eating and emotional eating are different things. Step one? Are you gonna fast or something? I have lots of free time because I'm a burden to those around me. And I too 'hoard' food. Even if I don't eat it. Not having any makes me feel unsafe. I can talk. :)
It’s like emotional eating that leads to binging. Yeah, I’m doing a 3-day fast to reset. I used to do them all the time when I was healthier, so it’ll be a great accomplishment if I can finish. How does hoarding make you feel safe(if you don’t mind me asking)?

F

Fragrantdestiny

Hello Fragrantdestiny. Welcome to the forum. It is really positive you have been able to identify you are using food to ease loneliness. It can be difficult to understand why we use food. I am so sorry you lost your dog. I can fully understand why you turned to food. What do you mean by cleanse? It would not be healthy to try to restrict food as that could lead you to binging.
Hi bpd2020. Thank you. It’s just a 3-day cleanse. I used to do them periodically before, just to flush the body and reset.

F

Fragrantdestiny

I comfort eat and am addicted to sugar am diagnosed with the eating disorder overeating.I worked out comfort eating is to avoid feelings I can't handle,instead of experiencing an emotion I eat to avoid it.Gotta stop replacing my emotions with a food binge.It's easier to do when I can get my head round it and am aware of what the problem really is.I also eat to fill the loneliness,food is like having friends!I am working on the problem and keeping positive.
It’s great that you’ve worked that out. Your outlook is inspiring! What do you try to do instead of eating?

B

bpd2020

Hi bpd2020. Thank you. It’s just a 3-day cleanse. I used to do them periodically before, just to flush the body and reset.
I cannot stop you but in my experience fasting only promotes a binge with people who struggle with emotional eating. I hope it goes okay for you.

F

Fragrantdestiny

I cannot stop you but in my experience fasting only promotes a binge with people who struggle with emotional eating. I hope it goes okay for you.
Thanks, I will think about that since circumstances are different now.

Lizaje

Lizaje

How does hoarding make you feel safe(if you don’t mind me asking)?
Hoarding food to be specific, although it's not in such amounts that it would be literally called hoarding, but I kind of need to have food available. How it makes me feel safe, I've no idea. If there is none at home I just can't handle it. I get restless. I even get suicidal for no other apparent reason, but the knowledge that I don't have any food or I will not have anything but few foods available. That said, I don't even bing or overeat most of the time. It's not so much the eating, it's the having the option of eating.

MarieRose

MarieRose

It’s great that you’ve worked that out. Your outlook is inspiring! What do you try to do instead of eating?
I try and fill my time,I spend a lot of time online,I try exercise instead of eat,I watch telly,I have an oxo cube in hot water satisfies my need for comfort.

Z

Zoe1

I handle a binge by bingeing on healthy foods
even ones with calories like bananas
ive got some falafels which are just chick peas and vegetables
maybe bread with marmite things like that
and the binge ends quicker than an ice cream kind of binge

P

psychwoof

I handle a binge by bingeing on healthy foods
even ones with calories like bananas
ive got some falafels which are just chick peas and vegetables
maybe bread with marmite things like that
and the binge ends quicker than an ice cream kind of binge
I find that even bingeing on healthy foods still leads to low self-esteem and depression for me. This is because the eating is still disordered and compulsive when what is healthy is to eat for nourishment and stop when your body says it's had enough. Thing is, I haven't been able to listen to my body for over two decades, and I'm stuck in this debilitating cycle where I always go to food for any negative emotion (sadness, boredom, restlessness, anger, anxiety, loneliness). I know eating disorders are isolating disorders; I know it's best for me to get out of the house and make plans with others or do things. But that seems impossible. Despite the challenges of being an introvert with social anxiety and not having excess money, we are all also in the midst of a pandemic that requires social distancing. The only times I haven't had the urge to binge eat is when I'm backpacking in nature and when I'm in a loving, active romantic relationship. I don't have either at the moment.
I'm still working out the food situation at home. I've tried getting rid of all the ready to eat foods I am prone to bingeing on, but then I binge on other foods in the house; I've tried buying my trigger foods so when I'm craving them, I can satisfy my appetite with precisely what I desire, but then I eat them all in one sitting. What are my other alternatives? Not to keep any food in the house and when I am hungry to go out (remember: social anxiety) and buy food? It's only a matter of time that I sabotage my goals for a healthy relationship with food. It's the hardest thing in the world to be so divided within yourself.

Lizaje

Lizaje

Lots of water and tea? I'm confused. I have so many suggestions for you but they're all ED tricks. Zero carb? Zero kcal noodles - you can order those online. I don't remember how many kcals it was, but basically zero.