• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Bi-Polar with a career ??

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

I wish school was free and accessible to anyone that wants to learn. It saddens me that we live in a world with so many restrictions. Even if I was capable of holding on to a business executive position, I don't think I'd be happy doing it year after year. I grow bored easily and find redundancy mind numbing.

Tuition where I live is $270 per credit hour. Books and materials are also outrageous in cost.

R

rawlinsc

I wish school was free and accessible to anyone that wants to learn. It saddens me that we live in a world with so many restrictions. Even if I was capable of holding on to a business executive position, I don't think I'd be happy doing it year after year. I grow bored easily and find redundancy mind numbing.

Tuition where I live is $270 per credit hour. Books and materials are also outrageous in cost.
There is financial aid but yes college is expensive. Books are ridiculous. I got a lot of financial aid because I was an independent student because I was an older student (I think its 25 years old or higher). Because I was an independent student they didnt count my parents income and I was very low income and I got a lot financial aide because of that. I figure I got some many pell grants it covered 60-80 percent of school. What sucks is i think there are no pell grants for grad school.

Zana

Zana

I can't use my business degree because the stress and anxiety situations caused me to go into an episode.
Maybe when you are well enough you can do the next level of degree (whatever that may be for you) in a different area? In many cases this is possible.

Whats the difference between bipolar 1 and 2?
One is an apple, the other an orange.

HLon99

HLon99

I started having problems with my mental health in the first year of uni and had to drop out because of it. I was heaviliy in denial about it and did not receive treatment for a year. Now I'm doing a lot better. I've reapplied to uni, got offers and am determined to beat this thing and get back into education this year.

Bipolar is not a death sentance, with correct treatment, healthy lifestyle and person determination you will beat this. You may not feel it but you are still young, 31 is the new 21 these days. Don't limti yourself. A friend of my mother's who is also bipolar, has a family, 2 kids and a high powered job in the city. A lot of people with this disorder go onto do incredibly well in life, all it takes is determination. Many famous people have bipolar disorder, including Winston Churchill who's determination throughout the world war took down the Nazi war machine. His 'black dog' as he used to call it was also the source of his courage. And although psychiatry in its early stages (he was treated with amphetamines for depression and sleeping pills for mania), he beat all odds through sheer force of will.

I

indescriminatename

You must be bright to be an engineer. I went to college with engineers. I make about 1400 a month like that. I wish I could make six figures like an engineer. Lol!
I was just on the rise in my career when I finally blew a gasket and couldnt take it anymore. I didnt make that salary the whole time. Just in the end

starfoxxy90

starfoxxy90

Hey thank you all for your helpful inputs. I do understand they college and get any type of degree will mostly be very high expenses and thank you. Keep safe and healthy.

K

keith74

My wife is bipolar 1 and she got through both college and graduate school. It was tough and she had to take a semester off here and there to give herself a break when needed but otherwise she got through it and has worked as a health care professional for over 15 years. She did have a few hiccups at her jobs when she took on too much work, got triggered, and had to go on sick leave (she is currently on sick leave now). She is now learning to not over extend herself at work to avoid future triggers. If you take care of yourself (physically and mentally) and properly manage your diagnosis, it is quite possible to have a good career. But you need to make sure it is a career that is a good fit for you.

Wishbone

Wishbone

Bipolar is not a death sentance, with correct treatment, healthy lifestyle and person determination you will beat this...A lot of people with this disorder go onto do incredibly well in life, all it takes is determination. Many famous people have bipolar disorder, including Winston Churchill who's determination throughout the world war took down the Nazi war machine. His 'black dog' as he used to call it was also the source of his courage. And although psychiatry in its early stages (he was treated with amphetamines for depression and sleeping pills for mania), he beat all odds through sheer force of will.
Did Churchill have a diagnosis of, what would have been 'Manic Depression' back then? I only ever thought it was depression for him, hence the 'black dog' phrase?
Anyway, the rest of what you said here sounds so hopeful but I think that is only the case for some people. I've literally just wrote a post about how some people can have one episode and still be classed as habing the same illness as someone that is plagued by constant 'ups' and 'downs'. So some will go onto big things simply because they can. I've seen many comments over time about Bipolar and work and I've seen that figure of 18 months/2 years as being a regular feature. That's exactly how my work history reads too. If you want to thrive and climb the ladder you need to be able to last longer than two years.
There's only so far determination can take you. You can do everything right for years and then one episode can undo it all in no time. We can certainly all do as much as we can to help ourselves though. Each person has a different fight on their hands and a different level of resolve to go with it. But you can still have all the resolve and fight in the world and be beaten by it.
I too went back to uni after having to drop out the first time I tried because of an episode. I just managed to finish it the second time around because another episode came right near the end. Thankfully it was just close enough to not stop me totally, but it nearly did. But I guess that's the joys of Bipolar: if we knew when and how it was going to hit us, none of us would be spilling our guts out on mental health forums about it because life would be so much easier.

Zana

Zana

If you want to thrive and climb the ladder you need to be able to last longer than two years.
Depends on what line of work you are in; I've seen many people jump jobs every 1-2 years in scientific and managerial roles in order to gain experience and climb the ladder.

You can do everything right for years and then one episode can undo it all in no time.
Indeed. That's why is so important to learn about your triggers and warning signs and put consistent effort into keeping a routine that works for you. That can take a lot of time to get right as I am currently learning.

C

candycane

I'm also bipolar 1. I was fired in 2019 after having an episode at work. I was laid off the next day. It's very difficult working with others. I'm not working right now and I don't know what to do next. :(
So sorry to here this.
Have you been in touch with any employment agency?

V

VekSkyRain

Whats the difference between bipolar 1 and 2?
I did well in school but sleep disorder prevents me from pursuing the career I want. I dont know if bipolar is affecting my sleep but it might be.
Bipolar 1 involves at least 1 full Manic episode, where as type 2 experiences only hypomanic episodes. Think of mania as a day at Disney Land for a 10 year old and hypomania as a day at the local fair for the same kid. Mania is extreme excitement, irritability, confusion, feeling high, grandiose, out of control, like a ferrari on a race track. Hypomania has feelings of grandosity, excitement, irritability, out of control, but they are less severe and you can sometimes continue on with life during hypomania. Mine likes to show it self in the form of insomina with energy, furniture rearranging, and buying sprees. Luckily I can usually contain the last one enough not to go into debt.

J

Jrchmn

One of my friends is bi polar and a successful business woman. She’s not an employee she’s an employer!

A lot of folk working in cyber security work from home, are self-employed and take on short contracts. If you’re not rapid cycling you could work hard when able and enjoy the fruits of your labour when not. If you are stable on your meds or have self-care strategies such as meditation in place to keep you mentally healthy then you should be able to get employed rather than being self-employed. Why not find some free online courses on cyber security penetration testing ethical hacking etc and see if you enjoy them?

You’ll never know if you don’t give it a go.

S

simple_rick

I been dealing with Bi-Polar type 1 and PTSD with delayed expression. I been wanting to go back to college for a career. Yet I have been told that most of the careers I would not be able to have due to my diagnosis. I been so confused and numb by how I am 31 year and have not had a job too many well since I only had a janitorial job until the virus happened and I had to move farther away from my job . is there any work I would be able to work towards a goal with being diagnosed with no polar type 1? I always have been interested in Cyber Crime Investigator .
hi,

this is what society should focus on, stigma against mental illness. everyone talks about inclusion for LGBTQ, minorities etc which is great.. but the stigma against the mentally ill is still so bad, especially in the workplace. wheres the #metoo movement for the mentally ill? we need one.

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

My wife is bipolar 1 and she got through both college and graduate school. It was tough and she had to take a semester off here and there to give herself a break when needed but otherwise she got through it and has worked as a health care professional for over 15 years. She did have a few hiccups at her jobs when she took on too much work, got triggered, and had to go on sick leave (she is currently on sick leave now). She is now learning to not over extend herself at work to avoid future triggers. If you take care of yourself (physically and mentally) and properly manage your diagnosis, it is quite possible to have a good career. But you need to make sure it is a career that is a good fit for you.
Those few hiccups at some places = next in line for "layoffs". Is your wife with a union?

Prettyroses99

Prettyroses99

hi,

this is what society should focus on, stigma against mental illness. everyone talks about inclusion for LGBTQ, minorities etc which is great.. but the stigma against the mentally ill is still so bad, especially in the workplace. wheres the #metoo movement for the mentally ill? we need one.
When several famous people came out as bipolar I had thought It would have picked up some momentum towards understanding mental health.....but look how long it took LGBTQ to get where it is today, decades.